RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2020, 07:27 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
On the road and have Check Engine and Low Def warning but tank is full

Iím on the road and the check engine light came on.So I stopped found the low def warning on but 3 green bars on the dash So I added some, got four bars, the def tank gauge reads full but the warning remains? what am I missing and am I headed for limp mode?

DEF filter maybe? Engine has 511 hours and Iím sure itís never been changed. Alao DEF pump(?) runs a minute or so after shut down. Not sure if thatís normal.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2020, 09:39 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
You could check for kinked hoses or leaks but really there isn't much you can expect to solve.

You can get the codes and call the manufacturer of the chassis (or possibly the coach) and they will advise you if they are derate codes or not. DEF systems kind of span the line between the chassis and the coach with the chassis/engine people responsible for the DEF exhaust system and the chassis people somewhat responsible for the tank and delivery system.

Our 2013 Winnebago with a Cummins on a Freightliner chassis had a stuck float. It read full even though it was empty. We were completely out of DEF but didn't know it. We had a derate code and were derated. We were north of Atlanta in rolling hills. On the flat we were down to maybe 55MPH. On the grades we got down to 40 or so. I'm sure if they had been really steep it would have been very slow. Cummins said we had little to no chance of damaging the system driving the 50 miles to the shop so we should just limp in.

As an aside I was advised to only use the jugs of DEF from retailers like Walmart etc because the DEF is much cleaner. Bulk DEF dispensers have a lot more opportunity for contamination. The nozzle used for dispensing, the tank will accumulate contamination, contamination when getting filled by the bulk distributor, the bulk distribution truck, the filling of the distribution truck, all of this occurring outside and not necessarily carefully guarded from contamination.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:26 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
well update time: once businesses started opening I called Cummins in Las Vegas and they said it was probably the DEF head but they canít look at it til Monday. Wouldnít even look at it to read codes. And Iím trying to get to Richmond Va on monday

Then called N. Las Vegas Freightliner - the said come on in, itís probably under warranty and they could get right on it. And they did. I rolled up, filled out the form, and it was inside within 20 minutes. Very friendly, helpful etc. Frankly Iím amazed given the date and all.

It never did de-rate. We drove 130 miles that way and kept waiting but it never happened. So a couple hours delay and we should be back on the road. On schedule and under budget!
Old 11-25-2020, 04:23 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the update.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:45 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizerEd View Post
Thanks for the update.
Want another? We made it 89 miles and the dash li up again. So we bailed on the trip and came back to Las Vegas, and are spending thanksgiving in their parking lot. Theyíll hit it again friday. We started losing power about 10-15 miles out - derate started bu fortunately we made it. So either the new def header went bad or itís some other issue. Fun times....
Old 11-26-2020, 02:46 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
This DEF head situation is completely unsatisfactory and needs to get resolved. There are threads all over this board from people having the same problems.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:25 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
This DEF head situation is completely unsatisfactory and needs to get resolved. There are threads all over this board from people having the same problems.
I’ll spend the day reading them. It sure changed my plans...

Also you can’t just buy the part and is all it because there is the issue of clearing codes and resetting whatever needs to be reset. Requires a laptop and diagnostic program- not just a code reader. So I am truly suck. Guess i’ll catch up on my reading...
Old 11-26-2020, 06:21 AM   #8

Check Engine and Low Def warning but tank is full

I am very interested in what the solution is to your problem. I have a 2015 that is new to us.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:33 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I’m thinking it may be an ‘07 Country Coach Although it’s hard to beat Thanksgiving in an industrial park in North Las vegas....
Old 11-26-2020, 07:53 AM   #10

To answer your question about the pump running after shutting down, its normal as it pumps the lines clear so as not to freeze.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:05 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Yeah got that answered yesterday here - been bugging me for a while.

Urban boondocking - North Las Vega style - Happy ThanksGiving Got a great meal cooking and making the best of it. Out of beer but plenty of wine.....

Clockwise:

A. Another camper comin in
B. Parked in front of the ďshowroomĒ (with 50 amps )
C. The view from here
D. Happy campers - yes thatís my version of ďbifocalsĒ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9B295D58-90D6-4D8E-8198-BCDB99A3771F.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	309382   Click image for larger version

Name:	F707CB1E-1572-4107-A207-933887822BC8.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	309383  

Click image for larger version

Name:	4CC8419A-DB52-4E3A-A3B4-97549799975D.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	309386   Click image for larger version

Name:	67B4725D-E785-4D12-B65D-B24456CA3574.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	309387  

Old 11-27-2020, 06:44 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Glad to see you can just roll with it.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:10 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
well 1012 miles since yesterday afternoon and all seems to be well (knocking on wood..); also had them change my fuel and air filters while they were at it. Very reasonable and all the big stuff was under warranty, so made the best of it and saved myself some trouble and got caught up on maintenance - actually a little ahead...

I’m in Elk City OK now getting caught up on chores. Richmond Va will have to wait til Tuesday
Old 11-28-2020, 09:25 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I am very interested in what the solution is to your problem. I have a 2015 that is new to us.
Well they replaced the DEF Header, which got me exactly 89 miles south of Vegas, then after returning Wed night, plugging in to their 50a service til Friday morning, they went back at it and the prognosis is that the tech failed to fully prime the def pump. I’m not convinced, but after a check of everything, re-priming it and a forced re-gen, it seems to be good to go.

My confidence in the rig is considerably shaken, and I feel that now I have to become a DEF/ATS/DPF/SCR expert to make sure that things get done right and I don’t end up stranded again. I’m not vacationing here - I’m on a schedule and this has set me back a full day. No bad for a 2 1/2 day delay, but I’m making up for it by putting in some long days on the road.

Tags
tank, engine