Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2021, 08:14 AM   #1

Chrome Front and Rear Hub caps don't fit.

I ordered a complete set of ABS hub caps and lug nut covers From RANEY's Truck parts in Ocala Florida. Their a big supplier of aftermarket truck parts. I ordered 2 rear axle covers and 2 front hub cover, all new push on lug nut covers........all plastic or ABS for no rust. We used to put these on the big trucks and work very well. I received my order and took them out to the RV and they don't fit. My wheels are Alcoa 22.5 aluminum wheels, All 6, and these hub caps or my wheels have a different bolt pattern. I didn't know There were different patterns, I always thought a 22.5 wheel was a standard size. I've never seen this. Unless they sent me some weird sized hub caps. As far as I know even the 22.5 hub caps fit 24.5 wheels. The stud pattern is the same. What gives, anybody know?
tompands is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2021, 09:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompands View Post
I ordered a complete set of ABS hub caps and lug nut covers From RANEY's Truck parts in Ocala Florida. Their a big supplier of aftermarket truck parts. I ordered 2 rear axle covers and 2 front hub cover, all new push on lug nut covers........all plastic or ABS for no rust. We used to put these on the big trucks and work very well. I received my order and took them out to the RV and they don't fit. My wheels are Alcoa 22.5 aluminum wheels, All 6, and these hub caps or my wheels have a different bolt pattern. I didn't know There were different patterns, I always thought a 22.5 wheel was a standard size. I've never seen this. Unless they sent me some weird sized hub caps. As far as I know even the 22.5 hub caps fit 24.5 wheels. The stud pattern is the same. What gives, anybody know?
My understanding is there are at least two bolt patterns for the 22.5" wheels.. Most common is the 10 hole pattern, but there is also an 8 hole version. Since you posted in the Freightliner forum, I suspect you have the 10 hole wheel.

In addition, there is a variation in Pitch Circle Diameter (PCD), which is the measurement across the imaginary circle formed by the center of the studs. The standard 10 hole wheel has a PCD of 285mm and the 8 hole wheel has a PCD of 275.

Also, I believe there are variations on the type of lug nut used. Some fwheel holes are tapered and require no washer, others are flat and a washer is used. That may be part of the issue as well.

It should be obvious to you which wheel you have by counting the holes. From my limited knowledge, if the hubcaps have the same number of lug covers as your wheels, they should fit. Aftermarket hub caps may have even more variations, I don't know, and that may be what you are seeing.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 10:12 AM   #3

22.5" wheels can have 8 or 10 bolt configuration , some times varies by year or GVWR .
My 99 F/L 28,000 GVWR chassis has 8 bolt , B-in-Ls 05 W-22 used the same .
Old 11-01-2021, 03:55 AM   #4

Larry and Skip, You are both right! I was out there in the dark (6am) trying to put these on and couldn't see very well, just knew they wouldn't fit. Probably should have waited to post. After not fitting, came back in house and re-boxed them to ship back. Later that day (in sunlight), and after doing some research, I open the repacked box to try again. That's when I realized---I DO HAVE 8 LUG WHEELS! Never even took notice of that fact. I even stood right there while the guys mounted my new tires. My mind just assumed 22.5= 10 lugs. I'm so used to the trucking industry, it never occurred to me that there were 8 lug 22.5's out there. Oh well, Back they go to RANEYS , I looked at their web site and I don't see a 8 lug set. I will call and find out today.
tompands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompands View Post
Larry and Skip, You are both right! I was out there in the dark (6am) trying to put these on and couldn't see very well, just knew they wouldn't fit. Probably should have waited to post. After not fitting, came back in house and re-boxed them to ship back. Later that day (in sunlight), and after doing some research, I open the repacked box to try again. That's when I realized---I DO HAVE 8 LUG WHEELS! Never even took notice of that fact. I even stood right there while the guys mounted my new tires. My mind just assumed 22.5= 10 lugs. I'm so used to the trucking industry, it never occurred to me that there were 8 lug 22.5's out there. Oh well, Back they go to RANEYS , I looked at their web site and I don't see a 8 lug set. I will call and find out today.
Thanks for the feedback and closing the loop. Don't feel bad, that is easily something one doesn't focus on and makes an assumption. Like you, most 22.5" rims I see are 10 hole.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:31 AM   #6

New tires ; lug nuts retorqued after 100 miles ??

I had new tires three years ago , lug nuts were slightly loose after 100 miles , again this year , front brakes, clean S cams replace return springs , lug nuts required retorque after 100 miles .

450 ftlbs.

Tags
rear