Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2021, 07:54 PM   #1

Clunking/knocking noise

I have a 2011 Fleetwood and since day one new there has been a clunking/knocking noise coming from underneath the front seat area. I know this is a crappy description but anyone have any ideas? I’ve gone underneath and try to rattle things, ridden in the bay behind front wheels and still can’t figure out what it is. 10 years and it hasn’t caused any problems, just annoying. TIA
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2021, 09:07 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I read a story a long time ago about a guy that was having clunking/banging going on under his seat. It turned out to be a can of soda under the seat and the can was rolling about banging into the seat pedestal. Maybe?
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:25 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Need more info. Is it on turns, going over bumps, stopping, starting, ????

Maybe there is a spot on the house mounting that wasn't welded. I have seen that before.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:01 AM   #4

It is pretty heavy sounding. Happens at 5+ mph with going over the slightest bumps. Don’t notice it at fwy speeds. At first I thought it was the pull out trays bouncing around but took them out to test drive and didn’t change noise.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:58 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We had an 09 Allegiance with the same type noise under the RF seat. It seems that the welds securing the chassis to the body were missing.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:04 AM   #6

Discovery,
Since you say it's maybe more noticeable going over bumps etc. at slower speeds, have you by any chance taken a look at your shock bushings, sway bar bushings etc.? I had the same exact noises happening for a while on ours and was puzzled. I looked around quite a bit before finding the problem. ON ours, it was the sway bar link bushings at the frame. Not the ones that the front torsion bar pivots on but, the ones that link that torsion bar to the frame.

They get a tremendous amount of stress on them over the years and they finally just give up the ghost and disintegrate. And the only way to see them is to get under the front end with a flash light and look at ALL the connection points for that torsion/sway bar. One more potential is, a broken support weld. That is, the coach builders often weld in pieced of steel from a sub frame that they've added, to outer steel structural components. And sometimes, those welds break loose and are not easy to find.

Look for rust at a weld. Rust indicates a crack or a full break for the most part. Although not normally loud enough for folks to actually HEAR, a glued on bracket from the structural part to the fiberglass can bang around too when the glue breaks loose. Things like grills, headlight brackets, hood brackets and more are quite often GLUED to the fiberglass insides. And, they break loose quite often. Let us know.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:33 PM   #7

I have a Tiffin on a Freightliner chassis and we, too, had a seemingly random "clunk" under the front seat.

In my case, it had something to do with worn shock bushings or sway-bar bushings. I can't say which it was, exactly.

I lived with the noise during our first 100 miles or so and then we parked it for about a year while we did renovations and mechanical improvements - including new shocks and a new sway bar.

After those items were replaced, the sound was gone.

Honestly, I had forgotten all about the noise when I replaced the components, otherwise i would have inspected them more carefully when I removed them.

Anyway, I'd look at any wear or play in those areas.
deprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:00 PM   #8

Check to see that the front shock is tight, mine doing the same thing, and it was loose
Brad15834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:00 PM   #9

Well,
Must not be too worried about answers.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise