Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2007, 01:01 PM   #1

During our trip to Alaska this summer our 06 Meridian developed a couple of problems that have yet to be resolved. Hopefully someone can offer help.
At about 22,000 miles on the rig I noticed that it was beginning to pull to the right. Up to this point it had seem to track ok. This was about the time I was getting into the frost heaves and construction. I put up with this until I returned to the Winnie factory at about 29,000. They check the alignment and added two shims to both sides. After a test drive I told them there was no improvement. The respones from the tec after another full day was to over inflate the tires by 20 pounds and send me home. With the 30-40MPH winds and after being there for 11 days I made the decision to move on.
Stop by HWH for couple issues that had been touble since new. Got great service, free lunch and out in three hours with all FIXED.
It was clear to me at this point nothing had changed with the alignment. Good roads, no wind and it pulled to the right as much as ever. And did so all the way home to north Florida.
As soon as I pulled into my driveway at home I noticed a new problem. I can't say for sure when this problem actually started as it is only noticed at idle speed, but for sure this was the first time I heard it.
What I hear and maybe??? feel in the sterring wheel is a clunking. If on a smooth surface does not make the CLUNK. My driveway is a long grass drive. After serveral trip up and down the drive I learned that if I apply the brakes and add throttle the clunking is much less if any at all. The shop supervisor at Winnie say this is only because the braking action is limiting the travel in the suspension.
At this point I can only wonder if the two problems are related.
Took the rig to local freightliner and could not duplcate clunking symtoms. They looked it over and charge $200. No fix.
Took rig to truck tire shop. They started by moving both right rears to front. I forgot to mention that the front tires were wearing on the outer and inner edges. The rig was weighed by RVSEF at the Daytona rally in 2006 with a full load. ft 90, rear95. Tire man said this wear was normal. Test drive after moving tires. No fix. They then check four wheel alignment. Did not match up to frtler specs. Called Winnie(they ask to imformed at this stage). Seems Winnie has modified specs and the rig is within there specs. Shop now removes both shims from driver side. Test drive and it is almost OK. Still has a slight pull to right but with the crown in the roads it is hard to say. Shop wants me drive it a while before they do any more.
Took it out for the weekend, about 300 miles. Still a slight pull to right but not bad.
Ask ftler tec line why rig needed so much shim. He ask if any one thought to check ride hieght. I checked it and found the rear driver side linkage was bent. After repair test drive made no change to tracking. Next I set ride hieght. Could see no difference in tracking.
So at this point it drives ok with a slight wander to right.
The clunking noise seems to be related to any movement in the suspension. Could it be a shock???? I also put a wood wedge between front leaf spring and the safety wrap as a test. NO help. Could it be coming from the bell crank???
It would not suprised me if the clunk is in the rear????
Thanks for any comments.
Bob

2013 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
bobwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2007, 01:01 PM   #2

During our trip to Alaska this summer our 06 Meridian developed a couple of problems that have yet to be resolved. Hopefully someone can offer help.
At about 22,000 miles on the rig I noticed that it was beginning to pull to the right. Up to this point it had seem to track ok. This was about the time I was getting into the frost heaves and construction. I put up with this until I returned to the Winnie factory at about 29,000. They check the alignment and added two shims to both sides. After a test drive I told them there was no improvement. The respones from the tec after another full day was to over inflate the tires by 20 pounds and send me home. With the 30-40MPH winds and after being there for 11 days I made the decision to move on.
Stop by HWH for couple issues that had been touble since new. Got great service, free lunch and out in three hours with all FIXED.
It was clear to me at this point nothing had changed with the alignment. Good roads, no wind and it pulled to the right as much as ever. And did so all the way home to north Florida.
As soon as I pulled into my driveway at home I noticed a new problem. I can't say for sure when this problem actually started as it is only noticed at idle speed, but for sure this was the first time I heard it.
What I hear and maybe??? feel in the sterring wheel is a clunking. If on a smooth surface does not make the CLUNK. My driveway is a long grass drive. After serveral trip up and down the drive I learned that if I apply the brakes and add throttle the clunking is much less if any at all. The shop supervisor at Winnie say this is only because the braking action is limiting the travel in the suspension.
At this point I can only wonder if the two problems are related.
Took the rig to local freightliner and could not duplcate clunking symtoms. They looked it over and charge $200. No fix.
Took rig to truck tire shop. They started by moving both right rears to front. I forgot to mention that the front tires were wearing on the outer and inner edges. The rig was weighed by RVSEF at the Daytona rally in 2006 with a full load. ft 90, rear95. Tire man said this wear was normal. Test drive after moving tires. No fix. They then check four wheel alignment. Did not match up to frtler specs. Called Winnie(they ask to imformed at this stage). Seems Winnie has modified specs and the rig is within there specs. Shop now removes both shims from driver side. Test drive and it is almost OK. Still has a slight pull to right but with the crown in the roads it is hard to say. Shop wants me drive it a while before they do any more.
Took it out for the weekend, about 300 miles. Still a slight pull to right but not bad.
Ask ftler tec line why rig needed so much shim. He ask if any one thought to check ride hieght. I checked it and found the rear driver side linkage was bent. After repair test drive made no change to tracking. Next I set ride hieght. Could see no difference in tracking.
So at this point it drives ok with a slight wander to right.
The clunking noise seems to be related to any movement in the suspension. Could it be a shock???? I also put a wood wedge between front leaf spring and the safety wrap as a test. NO help. Could it be coming from the bell crank???
It would not suprised me if the clunk is in the rear????
Thanks for any comments.
Bob

Old 11-25-2007, 06:54 AM   #3

Bob, I don't have any answers but I have the same make/model as you and I too have experienced the "clunking" sound on occasions. Of course, it cannot be duplicated when the time is right. Maybe someone will chime in with something helpful. Please keep us informed if you find out anything @ Winny or Freightliner dealers.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:27 PM   #4

Bob, is the 'clunk' noise only there when you apply the brakes? If so, it may be the s-cam rollers in the front brakes hanging up. Need to be cleaned/lubed/replaced. The rollers are inexpensive (about $20/side) before installation.

In my old coach I had mine replaced twice. I hear they need lubed every year or so. You have to pull the front drums off to access. I don't think they get grease via the zerks.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:36 PM   #5

Pusherman the clunking noise is heard when I am moving Without applying the brakes. I also have the roller noise on occasion but seems very minor at this point
Bob

Old 11-25-2007, 04:12 PM   #6

Read a post once about a guy who couldn't find a suspension noise so he enlisted six guys to "rock" his coach while he listened underneath. He found his problem that way.

Also, a BIG pair of Channel Locks is invaluable at grabbing suspension components like shocks and tie rods to check for play.

Sounds like a loose shock to me.

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:25 PM   #7

Bikeboy57, Tried the rocking with a couble of guys and did not find anything. Also had them walk along side while going over the driveway. Nothing heard. I sat on the steps with my head almost in the wheel and could not hear anything. Does anyone thank at 33k a shock could cause this?????
Based on what I have observed I thank a shock could be it?????

Old 11-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #8

The shocks are the easiest things to check. You want to look for two things. One, are the nuts snug that hold the shock to the shock mount. I had a clunk once and the shock was loose in the mount. How does that happen? If the shock is installed properly a self locking nut, or a nut with Lock tite should be used because the nut is not wrenched down tight on some shocks or it will ruin the rubber mounting grommets. If the grommet has a steel core insert then crank away.

The second thing to check is to remove the bottom bolt. If you can move the shock up and down with ANY free play, then it's defective.

BTW, save yourself some cursing and bleeding by getting the correct size closed end wrench to fit your shock bolts. They are only about 11 bucks at Northern Tool or similar import places.

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:53 AM   #9
iRV2 Sponsor

Bob,

Regarding your slight drift, if your satisfied with your alignment and you got a printout I would suggest switching the tires. More often than not we find the drift will follow the switch indicating your concern is in that wheel/tire.

Thanks,
Redlands Truck and RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:11 PM   #10

thanks Keith for the help
Bob

Old 12-28-2007, 11:12 AM   #11

I got the rig over to the local frtlner shop a few days ago. I was able to duplicate the clunking noise by driving on a grass field. Also I was able to show the tec the noise went away by appling the brakes while still moving. They removed the shocks and found the clunking was much worse.I assume this because the suspension can now move more freely. They spent 8 hour pulling the axle and checking all the related components including the sway bar and bushings. At that point they did not know what to do next. Have been talking to Marcus at frtlner about this and we will talk again after the holidays.

Another observation I made. When backing out or pulling in my MH garge the clunking noise occurs even when the front axle is still on the concrete as the back axle goes across the slight bump getting on or off the slab.??????

When I last spoke Marcus he was going to talk to winnie. They are wondering if this may not be a chassis problem. Keep in mind the problem goes away when brakes are applied?????

Chief:: You said that you are having same noise. Could you give more details.

Will post again when I learn anything.

Would be thankful any input.

Bob

Old 12-28-2007, 12:01 PM   #12

Bob, I'm presetly in Ocala and on the way over here from St George island the clunking seems only to occur when I hit a "dip" in the roadway. Almost sounds as if something is bottoming out and the suspension is "clunking" against the frame. Applying the brakes doesn't seem to have any affect. Haven't had time to crawl up under the beast to see if there is a dent or paint chipped/marred. I'll let you know if I come up with anything definitive.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:15 AM   #13
DWM

What ever happened with your clunking noise? I have a similar noise, but have not tried to diagnose yet.

Thanks,

2008 Damon Astoria 3776
DWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:57 AM   #14

Still no definite diagnosis..Am currently in New Orleans-on the way over here from Ocala I began to suspect something in the drive train because it seemed to occur mostly when I let off the throttle and there seemed to be a "bucking" sensation. Will have to do a M3 service pretty soon, guess I will readdress it at that time. Doesn't seem to be a big deal, just a little aggraveting.