Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2020, 07:10 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Complete power loss

Good day. 2000 Tradewinds 7370 with 300 HP CAT on a Freightliner chassis. Driving at 65 MPH at night when suddenly all the idiot lights flash a couple times and everything went black.....no lights, no engine, nothing!! Coasted to the side of the highway. Started it and same thing happened within 2-3 seconds - flashing idiot lights and dead. Waited 5 minutes and restarted - sat at idle for about 5 minutes - running fine. It's been running fine ever since now for 5 days. Noticed the dash heater stopped around the same time. Had a truck mechanic in Modesto diagnose it and he said everything checked ok except he found a large 20 amp fuse with internal corrosion inside the plastic. He said he pulled it and the engine stopped. Wasn't sure that was actually the problem though. He also said the heater motor was drawing too much amperage and blowing the fuse so suggested replacing the motor & resistor. I don't want to be running down I-215 off the Tehachapis and have the rig go dead again so I need some help. Anyone have similar incident? Any ideas?
RdKngJcky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2020, 07:23 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
First thing that comes to my mind is to stop driving at night.

Sounds like maybe you have either a power supply wire to your dash/ignition system loose or shorting to ground.

Fire it up and give all the wires you can reach a good pull and shake.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:30 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That happened to me once. Turned out to be a loose connection on the batteries. Tightened down and all OK. Happened in a 1 lane construction zone on I-91 in Vermont. Took me about 3 minutes to diagnose as I had no power what so ever.Did a temp fix till we got off highway
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:02 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
. Turned out to be a loose connection on the batteries.
On a gasoline car engine once its running you can pull the battery completely out and it will continue running off the alternator.

Are diesel RVs different? They must have batteries to continue running?

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:20 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Not entirely sure but it seems that is the case. Thanks for the question - hopefully someone who knows for sure answers.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:46 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
On a gasoline car engine once its running you can pull the battery completely out and it will continue running off the alternator.

Are diesel RVs different? They must have batteries to continue running?
That happened to us when we had our Itasca Suncruiser. Normally disconnecting battery when running it will stay running but not with that RV on the workhorse chassis
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:47 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
...That happened to me once. Turned out to be a loose connection on the batteries. Tightened down and all OK....
Same here with a 2500 Dodge gasser and a slide in camper.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:15 AM   #8

To me the key info here is what the mechanic said...corrosion. If you have the skills, spend lots of time checking and cleaning all connections and grounds. Also replacing the fuse and fuse holder(if possible) might be in order.
Keep us posted.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:12 AM   #9

Had a similar issue with our 1999 Monaco Diplomat with 5.9 Cummins and Allison tranny. Hit a rough spot in the road and lights flashed, tranny went to neutral, and engine idled. Shut engine down, restart, and ran good until next rough spot. Ultimately found a poor battery cable connection, just bad enough that a "jolt" would instantaneously cause the tranny computer to shut down, but still a good enough connection to allow a restart. Cleaned the battery cable connection and drove another 60,000 miles with no more problems.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:09 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
In the shop now getting everything possible checked.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:20 PM   #11

This a similiar problem happened to me when I had a 2001 National Tradewinds, 330HP CAT, and the fix was:

A) To check your Water In Fuel (WIF) sensor... and then I changed the ECM programming so the engine would not go into "limp mode" when WIF detected a problem. (Note: I never found any water in my fuel, but on occasion I would get a "soft fault code" that would clear itself when I turned off the engine and then started the engine.

Note: This "glitch" caused the engine to "buck" for a moment, but it still had power. Only the lights on the Freightliner warning panel would flicker.. and then work properly after I pulled over and cycled the key off... and then restart.

B) I replaced the TPS sensor under the throttle foot pedal.

And when this switch goes bad, but first it's intermittent... You will loose power. Pull over. And often can re-start your engine and drive normally after that. ... But it's very annoying because if it happens when you are at a stop lights, you could be stuck; and dangerous if you are at high speed because your engine may not be able to run higher than idle.

The TPS is easy to replace and a good idea for any coach over 40,000 miles.
How many miles do you have on your coach?

Good luck!
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power