RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2020, 05:26 AM   #1

Conversion to Fleetguard ES Compleat OAT - Who has a actually had a sensor issue

The coach (2015 Tiffin Phaeton) we are considering for purchase was brought to a local Cummins Service Center for a coolant flush and change. I spoke with the service manager at Cummins and found out they used ES Compleat OAT rather than the original conventional coolant with SCA. He told me he has never heard of the low coolant sensor issue and they have done this coolant conversion on a lot of coaches.

I called Freightliner and was told that I will have issues with the low coolant sensor and get stuck on the side of the road. I asked if there was an OAT compatible sensor and was given the part number KYS 5022 02185 06. However, I am having a hard time finding this part. My plan was to throw the part in my toolbox for a roadside repair just in case, if thatís even feasible.

I have searched and read a lot about this subject on several RV forums and the Freightliner concern seemed to be echoed by lots of folks who have spoke to them. What I havenít seen is guys reporting low coolant sensor failures.

Has anyone actually had a low coolant sensor failure as a result of swapping your coolant over to ES Compleat OAT? How frequently does this occur?

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2020, 05:50 AM   #2

I bought a used '16 Tiffin and just made the same decision to use original coolant in the flush/refill because of the potential failure of the sensor and engine shutdown. There has been several mentions of this on the Tiffin forums.

wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:17 AM   #3

Changed my coolant to OAT at 45,000 miles, 65,000 now. No problems with sensor.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:49 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I did last year. Replaced the sensor and no more problems and I still have the OAT coolant.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I did last year. Replaced the sensor and no more problems and I still have the OAT coolant.

Did you use the sensor part number I listed above? Also, was the sensor issue you had directly related to the use of OAT?
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote