Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #1

Dashboard Heat

I have a National Tradewinds that sits on a freightliner chassis with 3126 diesel motor. The dash heater is not working. The guy I bought it from said it could be the heater valve is shut off but he didn't know where it is. Does anyone know where the valve is located or any possible areas to look? Thanks in advance.
gperryrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #2

I have a Newmar but it is on a freightliner chassis and dash heat problems are common. If you do a search on Evans control valve you will get lots of info. I replaced mine and it cured my problems.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:09 AM   #3

Thank you for the reply. I will search this today and let you know the results. Thanks again.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #4

I also have a 06 Tradewinds and the dash heater core was leaking. The AC condenser and the heater core are one unit at a cost of $350.00. So I do not have dash heat due to the replacement cost of $800.00 for replacement and labor. Never heard of a heater core and AC condenser being combined.
Lault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
It is probably on the firewall on the passenger side where the hoses enter the air exchange box. It should have a control cable going to it.

If this is open you might check the inline water valve in the heater hose on the drivers side alongside the frame near the middle of the engine.
Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have an '01 7390 LTC and the heat will blow for awhile and then kinda goes away and then a bit later it seems to heat up again.Wonder what causes that.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Is the fan blowing all the time? If the fan is blowing does the heat go on and off. Is the air flow cycling between going to the defrost area and then to the floor? Need more info.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #8

It was the valve that was turned off. All set now. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gperryrv View Post
It was the valve that was turned off. All set now. Thanks for all the replies.
Which valve? Your answer could help others in the future.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #10

Yes....I would also like to know which valve was turned off.

Not sure about Evans control valves. If it was one of the valves (coolant outlet/coolant inlet back at the engine) that feeds the front heater system, I might toss out a word of caution. I was not getting dash heat in my F/Wood Revolution DP (Cummins/Freightliner). Found the outlet valve closed. Opened it and had immediate heat at the dash! Next day I found a puddle of coolant under the front of the MH. Eventually found bad hoses/connectors at the heater core inside the MH. Whew!! VERY happy it was not a heater core. I strongly suspect the previous owner had closed the outlet valve at the engine because he had discovered the leak....and did nothing about it. Seems that about the only reasons to close one or both of these valves is to allow better ac cooling performance from the coach's HVAC system in the summer....or to shut off a leak like mine. It is possible that someone might shut off the valves when changing engine coolant, thus isolating the coolant in the hoses and core up front, and then forget to reopen the valves. Suggest you make sure you DON'T have a coolant leak after re-opening the engine valve(s).
HeapBigEngin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #11

Update: It was the valve next to the motor. I checked all around to make sure there wasn't any leaks today. After reading your post I also called the mechanic that charged our air condition and he did confirm that he didn't open it back up after charging the air. Thanks again everyone for all the information to bring this problem to a close.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:06 PM   #12

Hey gperryrv....thanks for the quick info. Should be helpful to the folks that may be having similiar questions here. Also, very happy for you that your situation "fixed" itself....unlike mine. A lot of people seem to have to replace their MH's heater cores way too soon. Glad neither of us did! Take care....
HeapBigEngin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
2 years ago, On a walkaround at a rest area, I noticed a coolant leak at that heater mixer valve when we were returning from a trip. Rather than trying to fix it in the rain at the rest area, I closed the 2 faucet type valves at the engine, added a little coolant to the reservoir and continued home. Very convenient way to isolate that line.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote