Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Dashboard Shuts Down While Driving

Has anyone experienced their dashboard lights and controls shutting down completely and then turning back on suddenly? This happened to me while driving on a highway recently. I had the cruise control on and was driving at about 62 mpg. Suddenly, we heard a few loud beeps and then everything shut down. The needles started spinning round and then all the lights went out. A few seconds later, after what seemed like the system rebooted itself, everything came back on. The cruise control was the only thing that didn't restart, but everything else seemed to operate fine afterwards.

Needless to say, I'd like to know if this has happened to anyone and what might cause it. I was glad that it all started working again, but it goes without saying that for those few moments, it was unnerving.

I'd be interested in what the fix is, if anyone has had Freightliner address this issue.
Gingerela is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2014, 08:05 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
I had the same thing happen. Called Freightliner support and was told it was probably a loose connection. Hasn't happened since. Hope it doesn't repeat itself.
Berlin Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerela View Post
Has anyone experienced their dashboard lights and controls shutting down completely and then turning back on suddenly? This happened to me while driving on a highway recently. I had the cruise control on and was driving at about 62 mpg. Suddenly, we heard a few loud beeps and then everything shut down. The needles started spinning round and then all the lights went out. A few seconds later, after what seemed like the system rebooted itself, everything came back on. The cruise control was the only thing that didn't restart, but everything else seemed to operate fine afterwards.

Needless to say, I'd like to know if this has happened to anyone and what might cause it. I was glad that it all started working again, but it goes without saying that for those few moments, it was unnerving.

I'd be interested in what the fix is, if anyone has had Freightliner address this issue.
I might be able to help on this but, what year, make, model, engine etc. do you have?
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #4

Quote:

Had it happen on 3 different times. Took it to freightliner they found nothing wrong. They did pull the dash and checked all connections. Hasn't do it again since.
Indy1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
I might be able to help on this but, what year, make, model, engine etc. do you have?
Scott

We have not experienced this glitch.
To answer your question -- the folks on this thread thus far have a Thor Palazzo diesel - it is on the Freightliner chassis XCS w/ 300 HP Cummins ISB - Allison transmission.

Our Palazzo is on a 2012 Freightliner chassis but the owners having had this problem it could be their units were 2013-2014 (not sure?).
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
My coach is a 2014 Thor Palazzo 36.1 built on a Freightliner Chasis XCS w/ 300 HP Cummins ISB - Allison transmission (Thank you, 2LT!).
Old 04-24-2014, 05:37 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Had this happen too.

I posted somewhere else this response and can't remember. But my dash did the "re-boot" while driving a couple of times. While at the FMCA reunion in Perry, Ga recently I recruited a on-site freightliner tech who came to my coach. He found that the main harness feeding the dash on one side did not have the "pin" retention clip was installed wrong. He disassembled it, made sure all of the pins were in place and re-installed the two pin retention clips found on the upper and lower of the harness plug. I have not had it happen again since he did this!

Note: to open top of dash you have to push both sides towards the middle to make it "Bow" in the middle. Their are tab's on each end that have to clear opening.

PS: Will be at MB upcoming rally site HH-25 if you have anymore questions.

Don
Don Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:20 AM   #8

Had the same issue on my 2014 Winnebago Journey. Selling dealer pulled the console and checked for loose connections - found none. It's like waiting for the other shoe to drop.
marsurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Same thing Happend to our 2014 Newmar Mountainaire (3)times . Coach is at
Freightliner now. Will keep you posted.
jnowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:51 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnowell View Post
Same thing Happend to our 2014 Newmar Mountainaire (3)times . Coach is at
Freightliner now. Will keep you posted.
Would like to hear what they found wrong. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Would like to hear what they found wrong. Thanks.
I would also like to hear what they find. Mine ia a 2014 Newmar Ventana with a 400hp cummins. It as happened only once in the 4 months I have had the coach but I have only driven about 2000 miles so far. I am heading north and east to the summer location and will be watching closely to see if it happens again. Ted
Old 04-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #12

I have a 2013 Palazzo 33.3 on same chassis as gingerella. Had the problem repeatedly and to the point the engine would shut down. They finally found a pin bent in the main wiring harness where it plugs in in generator compartment up front. After 3 tries, that is what they finally found and it seems to be good now.
acvdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Coming back from the TDC Spring Rally today, the dash went out and came back on. Since this is the second instance, it wasn't as scary.
Berlin Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #14

We haven't had complete shutdown & reboot, but we do have an audible alarm that goes off for air pressure (gauges show air is fine) and a few times, along with the alarm, the speedometer & tachometer stick. Seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it will happen, can't force it to happen either. We plan to get it to Freightliner before our next trip but was just curious since we're all talking electrical dashboard things.
wagon2larry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash