Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2006, 08:19 AM   #1

Hi all,
I have read somewhere that the chassis fuel tank on the Freightliner chassis should have a small amount of fuel drained out of the bottom to get rid of the crud and water. I have also read somewhere that some tanks, I don't know if this is Freightliner have some kind of device that will limit how much fuel-stuff comes out each time the drain plug is removed. The tank on our 02 Journey has a small drain plug in the bottom center and I was thinking of draining a small amount out mostly to see what comes out. Has anybody done this, is there an approved procedure, will I make a mess and will I get a diesel fuel bath?
Thanks for the advice, Bob
rvrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2006, 08:19 AM   #2

Hi all,
I have read somewhere that the chassis fuel tank on the Freightliner chassis should have a small amount of fuel drained out of the bottom to get rid of the crud and water. I have also read somewhere that some tanks, I don't know if this is Freightliner have some kind of device that will limit how much fuel-stuff comes out each time the drain plug is removed. The tank on our 02 Journey has a small drain plug in the bottom center and I was thinking of draining a small amount out mostly to see what comes out. Has anybody done this, is there an approved procedure, will I make a mess and will I get a diesel fuel bath?
Thanks for the advice, Bob
Old 05-28-2006, 12:34 AM   #3

I am not familiar with having to drain crud outta the fuel tank.
Cat engines have a fuel/water separator with a twist valve on the bottom that should be drained periodically.
Maybe the more mechanically inclined on the forum can give you the skinny on the fuel tank...JIM
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 03:22 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would think if you removed the plug on the tank, be prepared to deal with a lot of fuel coming out quickly. Might be do-able if you don't have much fuel in the tank.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:15 AM   #5

Thanks for the input I am very sure that I read somewhere in my owners information that after X miles or X time and at some scheduled service a small amount of whatever is in the bottom of the fuel tank should be drained out. I have always replaced the fuel filter on or before the required time or miles and have only found a few small black pieces of what looks like rubber or plastic in the bottom bowl. I have never seen evidence of water when I drain the bowl. I guess I should dig through my black bag with all the info and see what I can come up with. I am not convinced that I need to drain the tank but was wondering if anybody had done this and what were the results.
Thanks, Bob
Old 05-28-2006, 12:32 PM   #6

My CAT manual indicates to Drain the fuel tank water and sediment on the PM1 Schedule, but my Freightliner manual doesn't. I don't plan on doing it.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:51 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I'll have to take a look though my manual again to see if there is any reference to draining the tank. I know I drain the fuel/water separator periodically.

I thought the drain on the bottom of the tank was to be used for draining the tank completely should it be required for service.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:32 PM   #8

2004 bounder. Freightliner slipped an in line fuel filter just above the right side axle. It is hid in the frame rail behind wiring. It has a very fine screen that has been clogging with slime. Algae??or fuel gunk???I drained my fuel tank in 5 gallon buckets. No problem. This filter has been driving me crazy. Others are beginning to have problem also.

Freightliner--Cummins 300 ISB
mowmunny is offline   Reply With Quote