Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2013, 06:01 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Draining Air System

We own a 2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E. I am trying to learn all I can and what I can do myself.
We are taking it to Gaffney, SC for a complete Chassis maintenance in January as I believe nothing has been done prior to us buying it.
I was reading a forum on maintenance of the Air Dryer system and wonder if anyone can tell me were I will find the 3 drain lanyards for the tanks as I would like to see how much is in them. I have looked in what books I have but haven't found them yet
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2013, 06:03 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
generally by passenger side tire underneath. You may have to crawl under to find and pull them. Be sure the RV is on the jacks before you do.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #3

Generally speaking, the lanyards (if you have them) can be found in the generator compartment. On rigs that ride on a Spartan Chassis there are 3 tanks and 3 lanyards. If, as you say, you can't find them, the easiest way to find them is to go under the coach. Generally the air tanks will be just behind the Front wheels in the middle of the coach. Once you locate the tanks, the Moisture Ejectors will be on the bottom of the tanks. The lanyards are attached to the Moisture Ejectors, if you have lanyards. Some rigs with automatic Moisture Ejectors don't have lanyards, but should. If you don't have lanyards, you should manually purge the Moisture Ejectors.

Hope this helps.
Drew
OldHatt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
There are 2 lanyards, both are located on the passenger side front wheel well. To find mine, I had turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, and you should be able to see the lanyards towards the rear of the wheel well, top portion. Mine were painted black from when they painted the undercarriage, but they are there.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #5

It really depends on where the coach builder decided to put them that day. I've seen Freightliner/Fleetwood with them in the driver side wheel well, passenger side wheel well, along the frame rails beside the generator, and even still coiled up at the drain valves, exactly where they were when Freightliner shipped them. Tiffin sometimes just makes a loop about 6" long and cuts the rest off. As suggested, slide under to the tanks and see which way yours go. It's a crap shoot but once under your rig it's not hard to find where yours are.

By the way, in all setups I've seen, there have been 3 lanyards coming from two air tanks. One of those tanks has a baffle inside and a drain valve at both ends. The valves won't all look the same as one is usually an automatic one with a heater and lanyard and the other 2 are manual without heaters.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
generally by passenger side tire underneath. You may have to crawl under to find and pull them. Be sure the RV is on the jacks before you do.
I dont have a FL chassis, but when I drain my air tanks, it does'nt drain the air from my air bags.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bompa3752S View Post
We own a 2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E. I am trying to learn all I can and what I can do myself.
We are taking it to Gaffney, SC for a complete Chassis maintenance in January as I believe nothing has been done prior to us buying it.
I was reading a forum on maintenance of the Air Dryer system and wonder if anyone can tell me were I will find the 3 drain lanyards for the tanks as I would like to see how much is in them. I have looked in what books I have but haven't found them yet
Bompa,
First off, it's really good that you're trying to learn about your coach. So many folks just buy them and learn nothing about them and are completely lost even when minor issues occur. You don't have to become a master Tech but, knowing some basics surely helps when something goes arry.

Now, as far as your tanks and the drain lanyards are concerned, about 95% of the Freightliner chassis equipped rigs have the lanyards in the right front fenderwell. They can be obscured by many things. They're not always right out in the open. Typically there's three. And, not very many coaches with well-working air dryers, will have ANY moisture come out of the drain pet-cocks. I've pulled on ours several times in the last couple of years of ownership and, have yet to see any moisture come out.

But, we primarily live/operate/travel in way less humid areas so, that may, or may not have any effect on what kind of moisture is produced and, gets by the air dryer and condenses in the air lines. But, just because you don't see any moisture produced by one pull, doesn't mean you should never do it again. I don't do it very often because, as stated, I never find any but, I still do it every once in a while.

And, I don't drain the tanks trying to see if there's any in there at all. Moisture (aka WATER) is heavier than air so, it will obviously settle in the bottom, usually right at those pet-cocks so, in the first second or two, is when you'll see any, if at all. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
air dryer and purging

when I took my FL to a truck repair they crawled under and found mine for me. Everyone has to learn from the start some time. he also showed me the rear tank and it doesn't have a manual drain. it is automatic but the other were up front behind the right wheel.

as for the air dryer. a word of caution "CAUTION". The air dryer filter has to my knowledge is under high pressure. the system must be empty to replace the filter. anyone have suggestions.

I recently had my service company remove my air filter supply completely. they found it clogged with all sorts of mud, dirt and crap. they also removed all my wheels and cleaned the moving parts of brakes which were totally rusted and inoperable. while they were at it they also set the ride height and slack adjuster on the brakes.

It ride nicely now and really stops.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
as for the air dryer. a word of caution "CAUTION". The air dryer filter has to my knowledge is under high pressure. the system must be empty to replace the filter. anyone have suggestions.

I recently had my service company remove my air filter supply completely. they found it clogged with all sorts of mud, dirt and crap. they also removed all my wheels and cleaned the moving parts of brakes which were totally rusted and inoperable. while they were at it they also set the ride height and slack adjuster on the brakes.

It ride nicely now and really stops.
You can bleed air by engine off, repeatedly press foot treadle until both air gauges are all the way down.

Most modern slack adjusters should be self adjusting, but anyone with air brakes should still learn how to adjust and check them.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote