Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2020, 02:00 PM   #1

Driveshaft U-Joint/Slip Joint Grease

According to the Freightliner Manual, the drive shaft should be lubricated with grease meeting Arvin/Meritor specification O-634-B. They provide the following list of greases that meet the specification:

Phillips Petroleum Philube MW–EP2 Grease

Exxon 5160

Amalie All Purpose Grease with Moly–L1–2M

Shell Super Duty Special FF

Marathon Maralube Molycode 529

Shell Moly Poly Grease

Kendall L424 Grease

Amoco Super Chassis Grease

Ford Specification M1C–75B or part number C1AZ 19590

I can't find any of these greases, and to make things more interesting, I called a couple of the manufacturers and these greases are from the early 2000's and no longer made. They also told me they don't show anything meeting the required Meritor specification. So I called Meritor, and they read me the same list. When I asked if they realized these greases are no longer made, they didn't know what to say. I did get one up to date recommendation for the U-Joints and am following up on that now. However, he also told me a different recommendation for the slip joint was a lessor grease, also with no Moly, than the original specification.

So what is everybody using for their U-Joint lubrication?

It sure looks like Freightliner needs to update their owner's/maintenance manuals.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2020, 05:14 PM   #2

Call Freightliner?
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:25 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
Call Freightliner?
dito
Old 07-30-2020, 07:25 PM   #4

A bit of googling suggest this spec is essentially the same as NLGI 2, therefore if it was me I would use any good NLGI 2 grease, on this application I would lean towards Lucas Red N Tacky

p.s. if unknown greases have been used in the past I might lean towards using Lucas X-Tra Heavy grease, which is also NLGI 2 rated, but is cross compatible with more types of mystery grease than Red N Tacky.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:36 PM   #5

Any grease is better than no grease.

Overview of Lubricating Grease
Old 07-30-2020, 07:40 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Any NLGI-2.

Especially the yoke slip joint. No wear there.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:27 AM   #7

Spoke to Phillips 66 about the Meritor specification. They didn't have any information on the specification either. I did give them the product name identified in the Freightliner and Meritor documentation (Freightliner simply duplicates Meritor's information) and was told that the closest product to Phillips Petroleum Philube MW–EP2 is Phillips 66 Dynalife XD1, which is 1% Moly which is part of the Meritor specification (inclusion of Moly).

Following up with Meritor, the product they identified for the U-Joints was ExxonMobil Unirex EP2 (Note this doesn't include Moly). You can't simply buy the Unirex or the Dynalife, or at least I can't find it. However, since Meritor seems to have recommended a product without Moly, I am going to use the Mobil DELVAC Extreme which is a NLGI-2 EP grease that Mobil says is good for U-Joints. Also, since it doesn't contain Moly I should be able to use it for all grease locations including the slack adjusters.

For future reference of someone investigating the greases identified by Freightliner, this is completely out of date information and IMO useless.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:04 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Spoke to Phillips 66 about the Meritor specification. They didn't have any information on the specification either. I did give them the product name identified in the Freightliner and Meritor documentation (Freightliner simply duplicates Meritor's information) and was told that the closest product to Phillips Petroleum Philube MW–EP2 is Phillips 66 Dynalife XD1, which is 1% Moly which is part of the Meritor specification (inclusion of Moly).

Following up with Meritor, the product they identified for the U-Joints was ExxonMobil Unirex EP2 (Note this doesn't include Moly). You can't simply buy the Unirex or the Dynalife, or at least I can't find it. However, since Meritor seems to have recommended a product without Moly, I am going to use the Mobil DELVAC Extreme which is a NLGI-2 EP grease that Mobil says is good for U-Joints. Also, since it doesn't contain Moly I should be able to use it for all grease locations including the slack adjusters.

For future reference of someone investigating the greases identified by Freightliner, this is completely out of date information and IMO useless.
My hat is off to you. Most of us simply drive into a truck stop lube bay and pay the bill when they are done. With 53+K on my coach, doing the lube stop routine has not seemed to be harmful to my rig. What do truckers do? Their drivetrains are very much the same as ours, made from many of the same components. Do the lube shops use different greases for different zerk points??