Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2022, 01:02 PM   #1

Engine Air Cleaner Replacement

I'm a firm believer there's a secret to doing everything easier. I changed the engine air filter this morning on our Freightliner XC chassis and definitely don't know the technique. Tiffin did a nice job of providing access through the back of the last compartment on the driver side.

First of all, I had trouble getting the element free from the outfeed side, it was stuck on pretty well and I couldn't get anything in between the urethane and the metal pipe to pry against. Finally freed it up enough with some penetrating oil to get it off.

The next problem was getting that same metal pipe with a ridge back into the urethane out feed of the new air cleaner. Once again there was nothing available for leverage.

I'd be interested in hearing any tricks of the trade that others might have discovered in replacing an air cleaner.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2022, 09:24 AM   #2

Cummins says not to replace the engine air filter until the filter-minder indicates it is at the red mark.
The reason, every time the intake air system is opened creates a chance of dust being pulled in by the turbo charger.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 03:36 PM   #3

I've seen mentioned a three-year "expiration date" of the air filters because of moisture.

Also, you could have gaping holes in the system and the minder wouldn't indicate any restriction, so you at least have to carefully check the integrity of your intake system.
Old 05-21-2022, 05:40 PM   #4

That 3 yr thing has been mentioned in previous threads, but no-one can provide documentation from Cummins Filtration referencing any expiration date.

At that time I had asked the owner of a HDT repair shop about an expiration date on air filters. He said that is false, and if any air filter came apart from being exposed to moisture it was faulty from the factory or had been soaked with water.

As to holes in the air intake piping, that would cause the filter minder to display no restriction reading, which should set off alarm bells in the MH owner. That filter minder should be reset frequently according to the mfgr. to avoid a false reading.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 05-21-2022, 05:55 PM   #5

The filter minder stays at the maximum restriction reading until reset.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:07 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I change mine every 3 years. For all others there Mastercard.

remove metal clamps off of both ends
2 metal clamps hold my filter in place.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
The filter minder stays at the maximum restriction reading until reset.
When was the air filter last replaced? There is a possibility the filter minder has failed too.
This Donaldson article is interesting: https://www.donaldson.com/en-us/engi...intake-system/
Old 05-22-2022, 03:20 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Like the OP, I have a terrible time changing my air filter. I can get it off okay, once I loosen the hinge holding up the access door on that side. Getting it on is very difficult. It is mated to the chassis way to the left side of the coach, so I can see where it goes or touch where it goes, but both not at the same time. The last time I finally got it on by using some bungee cords to hold up the aft end as I worked the other side on.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 03:40 PM   #9

I also recently changed mine on my 2018 Thor Aria 3401. Two of us worked 3 hours! The initial challenge was that it was the factory filter so the top hose clamp was installed before the body and was facing the worst possible position. Once we got it out I thought we were home free. It turns out connecting the top hose was the worst. I plan to wait quite a while before I change it again. I only have 10,000 miles on it, so far.

As to recommended replacement interval, here is a cut and paste from the Freightliner RV Chassis Maintenance Manual:

IMPORTANT: When first purchased, if the Recreational Vehicle is older than the current model year, replace the air filter.
Due to the variety of possible driving conditions (dirt roads, paved roads, etc.), it is critical to check the air restriction indicator, if so equipped. If the vehicle is not equipped with an air restriction indicator, inspect all components of the air intake system and air filter every 12 months. Replace the air filter every 24 months, or when filter restriction equals or exceeds the maximum allowable restriction. More frequent inspections and/or filter replacement may be needed if your vehicle is being operated in a dusty environment, to avoid damaging the vehicle.
ChiefBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:19 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
When was the air filter last replaced? There is a possibility the filter minder has failed too.
This Donaldson article is interesting: https://www.donaldson.com/en-us/engi...intake-system/
Ray because the minder could have set a high reading in wet condition. Should you reset it and see if you get another high reading??

Also, I don't think most of us dont put the miles on the air cleaner for it to foul up. When do you think the filter times out???
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:28 PM   #11

Why would a filter time out? I’ve had car filters on classic cars for 15 years with no issues. They hardly get driven…
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 08:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
Ray because the minder could have set a high reading in wet condition. Should you reset it and see if you get another high reading??

Also, I don't think most of us dont put the miles on the air cleaner for it to foul up. When do you think the filter times out???
Yes, per the Cummins engine manual the driver should reset the filter minder before each trip. This insures it is working and not stuck. The filter minder website has instructions for cleaning and repairing(some models).

Speaking of my MH only, it has an air box below the air intake that has baffles and a water drain in the bottom, air passage to turbo is in the side. This drain is a duckbill type that allows any water to drain out when the engine is shut down. It can become clogged with bugs and debris, so I clear it about once every 6 months of use.

IMO, if these air filters can be ruined by moisture, OTR semi's and commercial bus's would be replacing air filters very frequently. The expense to a large trucking company would be a considerable budget item.

Tags
ace, air, engine, replace, replacement