Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
That's great. Glad to hear it is working for you.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The down shifting of the trans can mask an improperly operating cylinder action as I experienced as a new driver a few years ago. We drove our 36 Chieftain for many months and never realised the PAC was not operational until we went to the National Rally. On the way we had to stop for a replacement of the injector pump (don't ask $$$) and the tech went out for a test ride to check the turbo and other functions. when we got back he told me the PAC was not functioning.

Being in a hurry to get to forest city, we traveled back to New Jersey and got a new cylinder for the rig at a Freightliner dealer. (note: it was cheaper to get it a at Freightliner than a Cummins). After I install the beast we really experienced a new STOPPING experience. Down shifts now felt a lot stronger. we gage the stopping that at 50 mph we can slow to 20 mph in about 250 feet with the PAC. Use telephone poles for a fair measure of distance as they are normally about 100 feet apart.

We just made my own brakeswitch and installed it today. wow. It is a lot better than constantly hitting the dash switch. Nothing more than a two splices and a simple relay.
no need to spend $79 as it can be put together for less than $15. Since I am in the fire alarm business, I used an end of line relay, 12-24 vdc, 3 amp contact plus I purchased a foot switch (on/off) so I never have to touch the dash for normal operation.

Operation is -with exhaust brake on and when letting off accelerator pedal, coach will coast. if in auto cruise down hill coach will coast. to activate relay - touch brake pedal and release and PAC activates and begins down shifts. to stop harder of course use AUX brakes.

If you decide not to slow down or stop simply depress accelerator and PAC turns off till next event. If in cruise simply pull the cruise switch to resume previous speed. What a wonderful addition and all from a spare relay.

If anyone want more info send me an email comtecsecurity@verizon.net
ladagobago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #17

Well Gang,
After driving Fire trucks for over 35 years and knowing the value of auxiliary braking, I knew when we purchased this '04 Itasca 36GD with the 330 CAT and Allison MH3000 trans, that the "exhaust brake" would definitely be of great enhancement in braking.

Well, some of your rigs might be better insulated or, maybe your hearing is just a tad not as good as it used to be but, when our E/brake kicks in, there's quite an increase in "fan noise" but not actual engine exhaust noise. Yep, when that trans down shifts and the RPMs climb, so does the fan noise. (Maybe someday I'll have the fan clutch or a two speed fan installed, hope, hope, hope)

So, at 32,700 lbs., with the 36' rig, the 900 lb. Honda Goldwing hanging on the back, and towing our '11 Honda CRV, you can imagine the dismay of loss of additional braking when I lost it while on a recent trip. Those brakes on our rig are some monstrous brakes but, trying to stop or, even slow down that kind of weight in many types of situations, puts a fair tax on them without the use of the e/brake.

Due to the fact that we were 700 miles from home and, the problem with our electrical system still existed after some rotten service from a Freightliner center in El Paso TX, I had to pick the most level route for our trip home to San Diego because of the non-existence of the e/brake. That wasn't real hard. I-10 to I-8 to 111N to 86 to 78. I think there was a whopping 1000' in elevation change for that 700 miles, big wow.

Even the last few miles, 15-20 which have some serious turns and down grades, was warming them up quite a bit and of course, I was traveling slow and easy.

So, my point here is, know those auxiliary braking systems, how they work, when they're supposed to work, lube them when needed.
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #18

My engine brake quit working. Fleetwood Discovery with 330 CAT and Allison transmission. I get the panel light when it is switched on and I let off the gas, but it does not downshift. Where is his unit? I wanted to look at connections and lube points.
Thanks
Bob Davis
Toccoa Ga
RobertDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDavis View Post
My engine brake quit working. Fleetwood Discovery with 330 CAT and Allison transmission. I get the panel light when it is switched on and I let off the gas, but it does not downshift. Where is his unit? I wanted to look at connections and lube points.
Thanks
Bob Davis
Toccoa Ga
The exhaust brake is directly below the turbo charger.
BUT; If you get no down shift , lubing the system is not going to help.
The transmission program for the downshift should run , even if the exhaust brake doesn't close off, due to binding or no air pressure to the actuator.
I would suspect, a fuse or a relay problem , or if the throttle pedal is not returning ; all the way; the engine control module might not be activating the exhaust brake at all.
I had problems with a rusted pedal hinge , due to the carpets being shampooed .
A call to the Freightliner Help line will get you info on where to look for fuses, and relays, 1-800-385-4357 have your serial number handy, and inquire about joining Access Freightliner , for online access to wiring diagrams and parts info for your chassis.
BTW; Welcome to iRV2.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #20

Smile Problem solved

I called freightliner help. He gave me the PIN number and voltage on the back side if the switch. It was low. Found corrosion on the fuse base for the engine brakes. Cleaned it. Voltage came up. Problem solved! Thanks!
RobertDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Remember that if you have an automatic transmission you must keep engine RPM above the stall speed of the torque converter. Each system is a little different so do a stall test to determine your stall speed. Some of the newer transmissions are electronic and with some engine brake models the control box actually locks the converter when it applies. You will need to find out what your braking arrangement has in the way of control.
1985 Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 Bounder View Post
Remember that if you have an automatic transmission you must keep engine RPM above the stall speed of the torque converter. Each system is a little different so do a stall test to determine your stall speed.
If your rig has an Allison transmission, this is not a factor. The lock-up clutch engages in second gear and remains engaged until you slow far enough for the tranny to shift back to first gear. In second through sixth gears the lockup clutch is engaged at all times. The torque converter is not used when the lockup is engaged.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
exhaust, pac, engine brake modification

Several folks have asked for the drawing of the electrical connections for the relay so here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EBRAKE RELAY Drawing.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	50721  
ladagobago is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, disabled