Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2021, 06:02 AM   #1

Engine stalls when shifting into gear

Hi,

My Winnebago Journey 2005 39’ has started stalling when brakes are applied before shifting in gear. It can be restarted immediately and apply the brakes and shifted into gear without an issue. Has anyone encountered this? My concern is obviously that this could get worse and not allow for restart solution or happen when out driving and brakes are applied.

Cat 330 with Allison transmission.

Anyone have thoughts?

Thanks,
Gyroscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2021, 06:13 AM   #2

Boy, that is a tough one. I don't see any direct relationship between application of air brakes and engine RPM.

Try turning off your exhaust brake. That should have no effect on this, as it should not engage in neutral or even at lower speeds in drive, but who knows. If the exhaust brake is engaging, it could certainly kill an idling engine. But, if you access the top of the engine an have someone look/listen while you go through the steps that caused the engine to die, you would know right away if the exhaust brake is closing.

What is engine RPM when idling before hitting the brakes?

Hope someone else's brain comes up with something.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:53 AM   #3

I will check on the engine brake. My guess is that something electrical is happening when the brake is pressed, but it is obviously not consistent. I am the same way in that I couldn’t figure out the connection with the air brake and the engine rpms. I’ll also report back the Rpms but it’s a pretty standard idle.

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2021, 10:06 AM   #4

Are your brake and throttle pedals , firewall mounted , or on the floor ?

If they're on the firewall , you'll have to get under the dash and check for , problems between the brake pedal arm travel and any dash wiring .
Old 06-27-2021, 02:09 PM   #5

Engine brake is off, and the pedals are on the floor. I haven’t been able to see anything under the floor with wiring but it seems to short everything when it shuts down. I can’t really tell if it’s because it chokes off suddenly or it shorts out suddenly. Rpms are steady at 6-700 I think.

One piece of info, we had the generator out in December and that’s probably when it started. Makes me wonder if something is getting pressed from that reinstall, but still not sure what that might be and why it is triggered by the brake pedal press.

It hasn’t been driven much at all since December, but it would choke off originally but only once and then it could be moved. Today I got in it and it choked off each time I pressed the brake to shift to drive.

What’s the best way to get a view at wiring in the pedal area? Am i going to have to remove the nose?

Any thoughts?
Old 06-28-2021, 09:52 AM   #6

I think your Winne will be on a Freightliner XC chassis , but I don't have wiring info for an 05 chassis .

Call Freightliner's free help line for wiring diagrams and schematics linked to your chassis serial number . Have you serial number handy and call .

1-800-385-4357

You'll have to get under the coach to examine the wiring for damage ; due to the gen set install.
Look at the front of the drivers side frame rail for a wiring connector that leads to the brake light switches ( picture below ) disconnect the wiring there and see if the engine keeps running with your foot on the brake pedal . If the engine runs , then you know you're chasing a short in the wiring .
Note this picture is of the connector on my 99 XC chassis , your connector may be a different shape , but if you follow the wires from the foot valve under the floor you should find it within 2/3' .
My gen set is on a slide , so my access will be different , if yours isn't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0500 (640x480).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	333950  
Old 07-02-2021, 04:40 PM   #7

This is good info. I will check it out. Although, it has just stopped doing it. I don’t know why exactly but will keep looking so I don’t get stranded.

Thanks so much.
Old 07-02-2021, 05:15 PM   #8

Erratic electrical faults , cost me most of my hair during my working career.

When it come to locating the cause , I'd rather be lucky than good ; so I'll wish you ; Luck !

Tags
engine