Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2007, 07:51 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Today we were on the way home from a long trip the last stop for dinner.
Got ready to leave and turned the Key to start nothing happened checked battery cables, fueses, cables at starter, not even a click at the starter sol.
I think there is a starter relay somewhere close to the engine but can't find it?
I got it started by using a screw drive to connect the little and big post together at the starter sol.
It is a 2000 FLC, XCS WITH A cUMMINS ENGINE
Does anyone know where I could look and check anything else out before I carry it to a dealer
Thanks Jim
jimandsandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2007, 07:51 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Today we were on the way home from a long trip the last stop for dinner.
Got ready to leave and turned the Key to start nothing happened checked battery cables, fueses, cables at starter, not even a click at the starter sol.
I think there is a starter relay somewhere close to the engine but can't find it?
I got it started by using a screw drive to connect the little and big post together at the starter sol.
It is a 2000 FLC, XCS WITH A cUMMINS ENGINE
Does anyone know where I could look and check anything else out before I carry it to a dealer
Thanks Jim
Old 09-19-2007, 03:44 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
If you have a meter, check to see if 12v is getting to the solenoid when you turn the ignition switch to start. Since you can start it with the screwdriver, the solenoid is working so that's not the problem. The only logical indication is that either the ignition switch is not providing the 12v or the wire (combination of wires) routing the 12v to the solenoid has a break somewhere. Considering that you were RUNNING for quite some time just prior, I would suspect that the wire was either rubbed through (by a tire/driveshaft/etc) or burned through by exhaust 'something'.

Best guess from here
Steve
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 35DH ~75k mi. Cat C7/350 on FL XC. Lots of FIXES - Worst thing is the FUEL mileage.. only ~7. My 1994 8.3 Cummins got almost 9 - NEW 'worst thing' - failed radiator overflow and radiator itself. WOW .. what a job!
SteveD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:04 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I recently had a similar problem. The cause was corrison (unseen) on the positive battery terminal of the driver's side battery. Some of the wires were making contact with that post but not all of them. I physically pulled all of the wires off, cleaned each connection and coated them with dielectric grease before reassembling.

My batteries were new in 2003 and are soon due for replacement. In Texas, we rarely get more than 4 years out of any battery. The symptom is that the batteries "off gas" or something like that, creating the white powder on the terminals. I had that problem on my house batteries, too. Every time I looked at them, they had powder all around the terminals. They were also starting to need a little water each time I checked. Since I replaced those batteries, they maintain a solid water level and there is no powder.

Just a thought.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:12 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Thanks for the info. I will check those out. I called the Freightliner hot line, they were very concerned about the problem they told me where there were fuses that could cause this (Checked but they were Ok) They told me there is a Starter Relay (Mounted on the Chassie ) that could cause the same problem. I am going to look for that relay tomorrow.
If anyone else has any Ideas please let me know.
thanks Jim
Old 09-26-2007, 05:26 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Thanks for the Replys
I have checked out several things but still will not start, called Covington Diesel and told them the Inj. switch sol. wire was hot when trying to start & that wire goes to the Nutral Safety switch is mounted on the side of the trans. with several other wires. Thay said that could be the problem, but it would have to be but on the Cumpter to see. So I might have to do that, if anyone has any other sugestions let me know?
Jim
Old 10-06-2007, 06:23 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi all,
I found out my problem, to make a long story short carried it to Covington diesel they checked the NS switch it was ok, but could not find anything else wrong with trans. Came back home and started checking wires, started taking ground wires off and cleaning them, behind the left rear wheel I moved a big grommet of wires behind it was a stud welded to the frame and a little black wire fell down. I put a new end on it and took the nut off the stud and there was the eye that broke off, I did not want to get to excited about this until I went back inside and tried to start it, when I got the wires back on the stud went inside and it cranked up, I think this was the ground wire for the starter Relay. Thanks for your replys
Jim
Old 10-07-2007, 05:23 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for posting your results, Jim. There are many who post problems without ever telling us what fixed them. Many will benefit in the future from your taking the time to do so. I'm glad that things worked out for you.

I've always taken the time to check all of the major ground points like the one where your wire was problem. Typically, I physically try to wiggle the wires, just to be sure they are all tight. Based on your input, I think I'm going to change that to physically taking the nut off and removing all of the wires. Ground problems are such a issue that I think it is worthy of PM change. On the problem that I reported with my battery, taking the time to remove the wires would have found that problem in advance of the engine not starting.

I'm all about trying to prevent problems. Thanks again for your resolution information.

Charlie
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:18 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Thanks Charlie
I hope this will help someone else out, I did several hrs. on checking out wires.
I wounder how a dealer ship like Freightliner would have found this problem? There was no codes in the Coumpeter or no dash light was on?
Thanks for the help
Jim