Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2021, 09:46 AM   #1

erratic fuel gage

Yesterday, as we were going down the road, the fuel gauge began bouncing between the correct reading and empty. The LBCU displayed LOW FUEL! and the audible alarm sounded.

We had plenty of fuel and there was no loss of power. Eventually, it settled down, but clearly, something isn't right.

Anyone on here had this happen in the past? -Thanks in advance! -Paul

2017 Newmar Ventana, Freightliner chassis
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2021, 10:08 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
First place I'd check is all the grounds in the fuel gauge system, starting at the wiring on the tank. Then to the gauge itself. Mine doesn't read great, and while there's a calibration process for my era of coach, the wires on the top of the tank are extremely dirty/greasy. My guess is they aren't making good enough contact.
Scepter40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:34 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My fuel level pick up, the float in the tank, is mounted on the side. The access is a black screw opening like for the sewer hose opening. It is in the front passenger compartment. I opened that access and tightened all of the bolts that secure the fuel sending unit to the tank. The problem has never returned. I think the sending unit grounds to the tank and by it being loose, the continuity was broken.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:46 PM   #4

My 2007 Ellipse 40FD needed a sending unit.
Some need the fuel tank removed to replace
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 10:51 PM   #5
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandS View Post
Yesterday, as we were going down the road, the fuel gauge began bouncing between the correct reading and empty. The LBCU displayed LOW FUEL! and the audible alarm sounded.

We had plenty of fuel and there was no loss of power. Eventually, it settled down, but clearly, something isn't right.

Anyone on here had this happen in the past? -Thanks in advance! -Paul

2017 Newmar Ventana, Freightliner chassis
Mine has done the same intermittently for the last 18 months. Never does it when in for service.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:37 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Doing a little searching on this forum, you would have saved yourself some time. The normal issues are gauge, wire connection, then sending unit.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel