Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2016, 09:49 PM   #1

Excursion ride height issue/question

Does anyone know how high the front bumper/air dam or hitch should be off the ground with air pressure normal? Just picked this coach up and seems to ride very low. I've scraped the generator exhaust bracket and hitch several times already in situations that appeared fairly level.

Quite a few campgrounds that I think I would have an issue getting into.

The Air Dump switch is in the Auto setting. I've tried dumping air and letting it refill and there is definite difference in height but still low. I haven't tried crawling under yet to do a measurement between the frame and shock mount.

I was curious if anyone else was experiencing this issue?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 10:46 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Contact Fleetwood to get the ride height measurements. They are usually the distance between axle and frame, or points on each one of those components, not bumper or fender height. You do want proper ride height, if the rear is off it can put premature wear on the drive shaft or transmission end bearing.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:38 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is the proper way to check your ride height:

http://www.tiffinrvnetwork.com/crusingator/P/P-038.pdf

Old 07-18-2016, 08:57 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rver98 View Post
This is the proper way to check your ride height:

Nice explanation and illustration of a pretty simple procedure that many folks pay to have done.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-19-2016, 07:16 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I do understand the measuring process. I have since slid under and found the passenger side to be within specs but the drivers side is about a 1/2 inch lower. This was measured on a concrete parking pad that is almost level. Just enough slope for rain water to run off.

Still concerned about how easily it has dragged.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
With long distances to axles, driveway exits and entrances are something you have to pay extra attention to. You might try approaching them at an angle if possible to reduce bottoming out. Of course that then puts some twist into the frame and you'll find out if the windshield is well engineered.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-19-2016, 09:13 AM   #7

The ride height was a concern for me when looking at Frieghtliner XCS based MH's. I looked at both the Thor Palazzo 33.3 and Fleetwood Excursion 35E and really like the idea of a mid entry bunk pusher.

Both of those MH's however ride extremely low and made me concerned about getting into to places I like to go (State parks, boondocking etc.), even my driveway might be tricky. After all these are shorter diesels, part of the point with going shorter is getting into tighter places, but that also many times involves sharp elevation changes as well.

I believe they are shooting for keeping the overall height under 12 feet with these but that has caused them to be lower to the ground, it has some advantages in fuel economy and not needing to step down so much when parked.

I ended up going with a less expensive gasser for many reasons but one the list was ride height, my gasser has tons of it, easy to get under and never worry about dragging anything, the rear hitch is 24" off the ground.

Seems like older diesels and MH's in general had more ride height, but many less basement storage as well.

Would like to upgrade to a diesel in the future, want a shorter mid entry one, but the choices are limited. Wish they would add a temporary ride height increase button as I have seen on some more expensive diesels, pumps up the airbags more than normal and lets you move at low speeds over obstacles. Might be able to add to yours but probably very expensive (HWH active air).
Old 07-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #8

One of the selling features of the XCS chassis, for me, was the low stance and parking height - only a single exterior step(which many times is not even needed) and the low center of gravity for driving smoothness.
We have experienced only several times that either the generator exhaust pipe/hanger or hitch has touched or slightly dragged, but those were where I would consider normal areas that most any longer coach, trailer hitch, or low riding vehicle would also.
The mid entry door is also our favorite - the way we come and go I would not be partial to the front entry style...
and of course the lower 11'9" overall ride height doesn't hurt either!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:33 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
RVer98 what's the difference between the AS120 and AS140 front axles?
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:49 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Our friends have a 2014 Fleetwood Excursion and there is a marked difference between the ground clearance on theirs and ours. He has scraped bottom several times in leaving fuel stations where I did not. Their clearance is so low that the coach came with rear steel loops under the frame to protect it. He has replaced those loops with steel rollers to allow it to roll instead of scraping.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
RVer98 what's the difference between the AS120 and AS140 front axles?

I believe they are referencing the front axle. AS120 12K, AS 140 14.6K.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:35 PM   #12

Dan,

I have thought about putting rollers on the hitch, and yes, mine also has those steel protective loops. I'm probably more worried about the generator exhaust bracket and the front air dam.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I also have the XCS chassis that seems low but which I chose so it would fit into my garage with a 12' 2" door height. Although I have to be cautious, I haven't had any grounding issues yet. I do think it helps with mileage though. Last week I averaged 10.6 MPG from N.C. to Florida towing a Chevy Traverse.
Thanks RVER98 for the info. I'll check my ride height this weekend
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote