Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2015, 08:57 AM   #29

You dont have to argue if it works for you. It doesnt work for me so i argue and change it. A few days ago i was going down 17 towards Phoenix with brake lights on at a sustained 55mph, not slowing or stopping. I race motorcycles and when a course is over marked for danger spots you get to a point where you ignore them and after nearly being rear ended i believe the same is happening with my brake lights.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2015, 12:11 AM   #30

I made an appointment with my local Freightliner dealer to "deactivate" my brake light that activates with the exhaust brake. Make a long story short, the Freightliner Programing does have an option to deactivate it, but, it just would not work on my 2015 Fleetwood Excursion. He believed that they had powered the brake lights from somewhere other than the factory harness that was provided for that purpose. They would gladly start chasing down wires until they found it, if I was willing to pay their per hour fee, it is just easier to not use the auxiliary braking system for now. JH :(
micpib1354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:32 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
With as many Freightliner Chassis out there as there are, I am surprised the brakes would come on in the toad and the manufacturers didn't have an install note or caution about it. I set my GoPro in there to watch my EvenBrake. The only time the toad brake was being applied was when I applied the Coach Brakes, which is as it should be.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:03 PM   #32

Am I the only one who thinks that maybe, just maybe, there is something wrong with the OP's unit or wiring?Why aren't there more folks complaining about this. I use USGear's Unified Tow Brake as Freightliner's position was "We never recommend tying into the air brake system on our chassis" We all know that is just a CYA on their part, but also is a pretty good stance on the side of safety, anyway.

But again, it just seems to me that the OP's braking unit controller or wiring may have something to do with his problem, as it appears as a very rare issue.

good luck to the OP
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:53 PM   #33

No disrespect to the last two posters but the issue in this thread isn't the toad brakes coming on with the coach brakes, it's the brake lights coming on when the engine brake is engaged.

The point/counterpoint of the thread is that good or bad and how to change it. I for one would like the lights to NOT come on till I step on the brake.

Go back and read the first page of the thread. It's worth the read.
jsquareg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:01 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What no one has mentioned is that consistency would be nice. If I am following a bus, OTR, pick up truck, car and I see brake lights I know that the brakes have been activated. If following a motorhome I have to figure out what make and model and the figure out weather its brakes, jake or exhaust brake.
As drivers travelling across states and provinces its bad enough figuring out the differences in driving regulations.
As far as engineers knowing what they are doing I disagree. If they knew what was good for us we would have more reliable equipment, and furthermore if it did break down we would be able to access and repair a lot easier.

John
jporietis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am all for having a separate light (amber) which would be used to indicate a slowing effect of the MH when the PAC / exhaust brake is slowing the vehicle. Many buses in the US and Europe currently have a variety of light systems to warn following drivers of their intentions including deceleration lighting connected to their computerized systems.. I recently had a long discussion with a person in Washington DC NHTSA Equipment Division Mike Cole - regarding lamp conspicuity and warning devices. The current minimum requirements by manufacturers are those standard created back in 1968. I am sure he would agree that the lighting system in the back of vehicles could be greatly improved but that the law is hard to change and takes a long time to follow technological advancements. Manufaturers are making designing their lights on today vehicles to meet those old standards for placement, Photometry and Photometric data requirements. There has been huge studies of the effects of different lights and the interpretation of the human eye (brain) to various light patterns for vehicles.

When I have more information I will post on blog.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:23 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquareg View Post
No disrespect to the last two posters but the issue in this thread isn't the toad brakes coming on with the coach brakes, it's the brake lights coming on when the engine brake is engaged.

The point/counterpoint of the thread is that good or bad and how to change it. I for one would like the lights to NOT come on till I step on the brake.

Go back and read the first page of the thread. It's worth the read.
None taken, as yes I did read it, and the OP talks about his Jeep brakes overheating, so I would think a Jeep is a toad. Some of the other posts afterwards also mentioned toad brakes.
My brake lights come on, never had any issues in town, or going down grades, so I just leave it as is. If something were to happen because the brake lights are programmed like that, my insurer and Freightliner can battle it out, but in all 50 states the party that rear ends you is automatically at fault.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:06 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
but in all 50 states the party that rear ends you is automatically at fault.
That is simply not true.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:21 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
When the engine brake is active on a down hill grade, the coach reacts as if you were stepping on the brakes...therefore I like the lights coming on.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:36 AM   #39
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The purpose of brake lights it to indicate that a vehicle is slowing down. When the exhaust brake is used the vehicle is normally slowing down. Why not let the people behind you know you are slowing down.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:19 PM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
The purpose of brake lights it to indicate that a vehicle is slowing down. When the exhaust brake is used the vehicle is normally slowing down. Why not let the people behind you know you are slowing down.
I'm going to say yes brake lights to indicate you are slowing down BUT in the mountains I drive the RV may be speeding up going down hill with the exhaust brake activated so I have to use the brakes to actually slow down. My feeling is I'd like the brake lights come on with the foot brake not the exhaust retarder.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:20 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
When the engine brake is active on a down hill grade, the coach reacts as if you were stepping on the brakes...therefore I like the lights coming on.
That may not necessarily be true. If I am going down a hill of a specific grade and I have my 10000 lbs trailer behind me ,chances are that I will be maintain or throttling to maintain the speed limit. My exhaust brake will be assisting me to maintain that condition of over speed. With my set up as soon as I begin to depress the throttle pedal my exhaust brake will release. If I put my foot on the Service brake - "I will be slowing down and possibly stopping."
Old 12-01-2015, 05:26 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Think about the very large numbers of semi's on all our highways everyday...........no lights on any of them to indicate when the driver is using the engine brake...........But RV's should

Tags
brake, light