Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2020, 08:20 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Exhaust Gas Temperature Gauge (EGT) for 2014 Chassis

The Freightliner ECM on my 2014 Fleeetwood Discovery does not monitor or transmit EGT readings through the 9 pin J1939 connector. I was wondering if anyone has installed a separate gauge to monitor it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2020, 09:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
The Freightliner ECM on my 2014 Fleeetwood Discovery does not monitor or transmit EGT readings through the 9 pin J1939 connector. I was wondering if anyone has installed a separate gauge to monitor it.
Great idea, really the best indicator of engine overload. VEi used to make one that could use any wire, but now think you will need a 40 ft thermocouple wire up to the dash. Good luck and like
your fwd thinking. I have had pyros on every coach I have had.
Pre turbo is best.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:27 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Great idea, really the best indicator of engine overload. VEi used to make one that could use any wire, but now think you will need a 40 ft thermocouple wire up to the dash. Good luck and like
your fwd thinking. I have had pyros on every coach I have had.
Pre turbo is best.
Which Coaches did you Own, that Came with EGT? or did you add it? What did you add?
gatorcq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
Which Coaches did you Own, that Came with EGT? or did you add it? What did you add?
Newell and Foretravels. Earlier Newells with the 8v92 came with them stock from the factory. But all the ones I have had, I installed myself. This is what I used, but several have mentioned they are out business.They were easier to install because you could us a plain wire from the engine to the dash. Most require you to use a special thermocouple wire.
VEI Systems
Old 04-18-2020, 07:27 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Captain Morgan.....Cummins does not monitor EGT's, but they do monitor Intake Manifold Temperature. I use the SilverLeaf Program to watch oil pressure, coolant temp, etc. I also have the Intake Manifold Temp on the screen that I have set to turn from green to yellow to red and certain temps.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:20 PM   #6

Good reading.
https://official.bankspower.com/tech...-is-important/
Old 04-18-2020, 09:31 PM   #7

I'm would also like to add a pyrometer this summer, but I have not yet ordered a gauge, because I don't yet know what my options are.

I would prefer installing a pyrometer that will use standard wire, but I may have to go with a 55' thermocouple wire. (TBD) So I will me monitoring this thread for ideas and installation tips.

Members like JCussen, Vanwill, and TR4 have addressed this subject in other threads so I I'm just echoing what I have read. Consequently, until I can give you my personal experience, these are the basic steps for installation as I understand them:

* See attached picture for probe location
* Pre-drill with a smaller drill bit first
* Use the correct bit size for your probe second
* Tap using some grease to trap the shavings in the tap-channels
* Vacuum out the shavings inside the exhaust port (Tape a straw to the vacuum hose to get down inside... and cut a notch on one side.)

Maybe others can make additional tips and suggestions or correct the list above?

Another suggestion: Why not add a "Boost Fooler" while you are working in this area? This is a $12 upgrade that for all intensive purposes has no downside and will give you 30" of manifold boost that will help to cool your EGT and give you better acceleration.

See this thread for more info: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/boo...-480171-6.html

...or this thread for my other opinions on several performance upgrades for the ISC engine: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/isc...es-482143.html

Back to the subject of this thread: I would like to see pictures of how people mounted the EGT-gauge in their dash or if they elected to go with a small rectangle style, digital type display? (Personally, I don't want to read an analog EGT needle type gauge.)

I already installed a fuel pressure gauge in the lower left corner of my instrument panel so besides installing a pyrometer in my engine exhaust manifold, I also need help deciding how and where and what type of gauge I mount in my dash.

* My Freightliner dash gauges are green in color so I maybe leaning to that color. Or maybe red? I'm not sure? ...What I don't want is a bright gauge at night.

Here's one source: http://thesensorconnection.com/gauge-pyrometer-kits

Many thanks to all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Pressure Gauge.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	282132   Click image for larger version

Name:	EGT Drill Spot.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	282133  

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:41 PM   #8

Gauge Location

I saw one picture where the owner installed the gauge just in front of the Allison tranny control panel on the side-arm, but I'm thinking I want to face forward... when reading the gauge... so I can see traffic.

...So maybe one of these rectangular gauges might work well in the dash, but a rectangle is harder to install vs. a drilled hole. (TBD)

The price is less on the rectangular gauge kit, and they take up less room, but most of all I would like to know if reliability and/or accuracy a concern when buying a pyrometer?

This gauge has an ALARM too! And I like that. And it looks like regular wire can be used.

Does brand does count, or is the probe quality all that matters?

All Gauge / Pyrometer Kits Rectangular Digital Gauges
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EGT Kit - Digital- Rectangular Gauge.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	282141  
Old 04-19-2020, 09:42 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Captain Morgan.....Cummins does not monitor EGT's, but they do monitor Intake Manifold Temperature. I use the SilverLeaf Program to watch oil pressure, coolant temp, etc. I also have the Intake Manifold Temp on the screen that I have set to turn from green to yellow to red and certain temps.
Don,

I'm using BlueFire to monitor data and also monitor Intake Manifold Temp, along with many others. Being new to the diesel world, I constantly read that we should monitor EGT, especially when climbing steep grades in warm/hot weather. I found it odd that if it's so important to monitor it should be available via the ECM/J1939. What temps do you have the gren/yellow/red set to for your intake manifold?
Old 04-19-2020, 10:04 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Good reading. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2020, 04:38 PM   #11

I looked at the BlueFire App and dongle. Seems like a very good option if you want to monitor your engine data... and if your data bus includes EGT information then it should display EGT data as well. Conversely, if the EGT data is not on the J1939 buss, then the BlueFire App will not display it.

My 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD came with a TripTek computer that displays all the engine data on my Sony monitor, but it does not display EGT because I don't have a pyrometer and my turbo is a Holset40W.

...But will it if I install a BlueFire? ...I don't think so, but hopefully I am wrong.

When was EGT data first made available on the J1939 Buss; and where is the probe located?

...Just guessing, was it when Cummins went to the VGT Turbo, because in these years the ECM uses/needed EGT data & MP to control the turbo waste gate. Is this correct? ...Or was/is EGT data just use as a safety or limit switch to de-rate the engine when EGT gets too hot... for too long?

...If this logic applies, does that mean all Cummins outfitted with "smart turbos" have EGT data on the J1939 buss... even if the coach manufacture did not spent the money to install an EGT gauge in the dash? And if so, where is that probe installed?

* Probe location is very important. Otherwise, one persons EGT/oranges cannot be compared to another persons EGT/apples.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:13 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
I looked at the BlueFire App and dongle. Seems like a very good option if you want to monitor your engine data... and if your data bus includes EGT information then it should display EGT data as well. Conversely, if the EGT data is not on the J1939 buss, then the BlueFire App will not display it.
You are correct, BlueFire won't (can't) display the EGTs if the data bus doesn't transmit it. Hence, the reason for my post. Unfortunately, Cummins/Freightliner does not transmit EGT data across the data bus. I still think it's odd that they don't because Cummins has no less than 15 fault codes related to exhaust gas temperature.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:09 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Bob....EGT's are important in some cases. Many of those running gauges are the guys in trucks who are souping up their engines, blowing a lot of fuel and running hot.

I trust that over the years, Cummins has never been concerned about monitoring EGT's. The Cummins computer will also derate the engine and certainly let you know if it's hot.

I knew you were going to ask where I have my settings. I'm recouping from a knee replacement, so I'll try and get out and check where I set the parameters. It may be a day or two.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:13 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Bob....EGT's are important in some cases. Many of those running gauges are the guys in trucks who are souping up their engines, blowing a lot of fuel and running hot.

I trust that over the years, Cummins has never been concerned about monitoring EGT's. The Cummins computer will also derate the engine and certainly let you know if it's hot.

I knew you were going to ask where I have my settings. I'm recouping from a knee replacement, so I'll try and get out and check where I set the parameters. It may be a day or two.
Don,

First, I hope your recovery from knee surgery is going well. My wife has had her left knee replaced twice and is in the process of scheduling to have her right knee replaced. Something I hope to never experience myself.

As I continue to research, it does appear the biggest concern is with those that "chip" or "tune" the engines to perform far outside the intended limits. I took a look at the data logs I have and it appears my intake temp never exceeds 163 F and appears to stay around 140-150 F. I'm headed to my Northern home tomorrow, so I'll have roughly 500 mikes of data to look at.

I took a look at the default BlueFire Intake Manifold Temp gauge and the yellow (caution) is set to 200 F and warning (red) is set at 220.

Take care of that knee and please don't worry about checking what your gauge shows.

Bob

Tags
chassis, exhaust, gas, temperature