Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2020, 11:24 AM   #15

Source eng is a little expensive. Try this supplier, better price($275 ). Source does not build the fan they buy from these people. This is a multi-wing fan they sell. lbrudzynski@superiorturbo.com

Ask for the specs on new fan and OEM fan. I have the specs on fans, e-mail if you want.
basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2021, 02:18 PM   #16

I finally got some good weather and time to remove my oem fan and clutch. I am guessing that it should not have the oily junk and dirt on it. It was not fun getting that out of a tight space. Calling those 2 places today to get a fixed driven one and remove that clutch from the system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan_oem_removed.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	334.3 KB
ID:	324757  
riverofcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:07 AM   #17

Go with Larry @ Superior Turbo, great knowledge, better price.Multi-wing fan. Has all specs on OEM fan and Multi Wing fan. H.P. used to drive OEM vrs Muli-wing will remove you from your chair. About 50% less

Basketball
Old 04-13-2021, 07:13 AM   #18

The oil on your fan blade is not wht you want to see. It is leaking from your fan clutch. Your fan clutch will not obtain full speed when needed. Overheat!!!!
Looks just like mine. Did not see the speed controller in your diagram. This year of coach did not come with speed controller. (guard dog) New ones do. The speed controller would not have fixed your problem. Your clutch fan is leaking.
Correct choice, go to direct drive fan and your problems will be solved.

Happy Travels
Stay Safe
Basketball
Old 04-13-2021, 09:57 AM   #19

Just got off the phone with Larry. Great conversation and lots of knowledge on the actual Horton parts I have that I want to replace. He also recommended doing a bearing rebuild on my drive hub while I had it all apart anyway. Now to get payment to them and get the parts back.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:30 AM   #20

You are so lucky. I could not remove the 4 bolts that holds the clutch flange to the serp pulley. Fan blade and clutch was not to be removed without taking out the Rad. Removed rad and cac. Sent in to rad shop to have cleaned and pressure tested. Had to cut fan fan shaft to remove fan to get out of the way. Had a 20'' snipe on 12 point bolts, would not come out.
Cut flange in middle to remove flange and spacer. Would have cut spacer, but wanted to re-use. Welded 4 nuts onto old bolts and removed them with impact gun. Bought new #8 grade bolts for replacement. Use correct length of new bolts, to long and they will thread into the serp pulley and it will not rotate.

Forget the Horton Fan clutch and go direct drive( multi-wing) from Larry @ Superior Turbo
Need more info , send me a message.

Mark

All back together now and works like a charm.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:19 AM   #21

I have finally gotten my replacement multi-blade fan, adapter and hub bearings ordered this morning(4/22). I will probably have it early next week and ready for install. Larry was great to work with and extremely knowledgeable of what I had and part numbers. Can't wait to get it.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:11 AM   #22

Please keep us posted on the install of your direct fan. Good info for all
Old 05-09-2021, 07:34 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketball View Post
Please keep us posted on the install of your direct fan. Good info for all

With photos [emoji16]
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:01 AM   #24

I finally got my new fan, spacer and bearings all sorted out. I installed it on Saturday and did a test run for an hour or so. I can't move it yet due to other things but temps stayed below 185 in the middle of normal and I at least know its blowing. Both the new and old fans are 27" in diameter but the picture looks like the new one is smaller.... its not. I am sure the new assembly is lighter since the clutch and old fan were much heavier. My pully hub has 6 holes in a 3.5" circle and the new fan only had 4 in a much smaller circle so the spacer uses capscrews to attach it. Getting that installed took about 2 hrs of contortions to get everything up, mounted and tightened.
I can fully recommend Larry at Superior Turbo any day of the week. His knowledge of the parts and willingness to talk was awesome.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fan_spacer1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	329337   Click image for larger version

Name:	fan_spacer2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	329338  

Name:	new_faninstalled1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	354.2 KB
ID:	329339   Click image for larger version

Name:	new_faninstalled2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	352.2 KB
ID:	329340  

Name:	oldfan_newfan.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	329341  
Old 05-25-2021, 05:35 AM   #25

Curious if the new fan is rated to move as much air as the old one, especially at lower RPM. Is it an noisier?

Thanks for posting the photos, very interesting.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:01 AM   #26

It does move a bunch of air. I believe it is the same fan as this one Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR from Source Engineering for much less money. It subjectively seems quieter but I didn't do any testing since my original clutch quit working. The box the fan came in is marked as americancooling.com as the actual source of it.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:48 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Scott,
I (we) appreciate these posts you've made regarding the replacement direct drive fan. Being the recipient of a Horton clutch failure I'm glad to know that a alternative repair is available.

Right now....my clutch is working great and also with the generous addition of a Guard Dog given to me by member ziaptrn.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:27 AM   #28

Just a quick follow up to the saga. I finally was able to get it out on the road last Friday to take it to get a vehicle inspection. The day was low 90's and pretty humid. Travel speeds varied from a slow crawl due to an accident to 65'ish or so. The fan performed great! Engine temps never hit 190 and trans temp was well below that on my 2.5 hr trip. Not much hill climbing but I'm pretty sure it would have been fine. The coolant hit 189 once and dropped back to 183-185 about as fast as I noticed it. I think the thermostat starts to open around 183 so it makes sense.

Tags
fan