Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2020, 10:24 AM   #1

Exclamation Fan clutch service bulletin question

Thank you in advance.

After many hours of research through the forums and many post about a service bulletin for the fan clutch issue with a Cummins isb engine.

My rig is 2008 Discovery 39r 350hp cummins motor.

There is a known issue with the electronic fan clutch and many mentions of a service bulletin. Does anyone happen to know the actual service bulletin # (and yes # is not a hashtag) in regards to the fan clutch issue or Freightliner Service Solution 3737?

Supposedly, Freightliner might cover the part for this repair. I do have an extended warranty on my rig as well.
kinein is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2020, 08:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner TSB

Hi -

To the best of my understanding, there is no TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for the issue. I have been to multiple Freightliner shops (including the "mother ship" at Gaffney, SC and the location at Tolleson, AZ).

To a man, every shop told me that there is no TSB for the fan clutch, and that my overheating situation was a "one-off" the likes of which they had never seen nor heard of. The same from Winnebago service in Junction City, OR. I spoke with the mechanics at each site and all denied any knowledge of this being an issue - despite my presentation of reams of information from folks from here (IRV2) and photos of my rig just as it ran through the process from just starting to getting warmer to getting hot to me stopping the Rig and pulling over at 215 degree (alarm sounding but no de-rating).

So I offer all of that in support of the lack of a TSB. That said, the PO of our rig had the fan clutch replaced twice under warranty from Freightliner - and they did so only because it actively overheat while they were driving it and they saw it for themselves (I have the written documentation from all repairs that the PO ever had done!). According to Freightliner, there is no systemic problem. The PO was lucky in that initially Freightliner could not replicate the problem and were going to send him on his way, and when they were returning the rig to the owner waiting at the shop it overheated...the PO was lucky.

I also think that what some are referring to as a TSB is the Service Solution #3737. The SS #3737 is a diagnostic routine that typically ends with the conclusion to replace the fan clutch; the same one for which there is "no known problem".

Please keep us posted how this works out; I know that there are many individuals who are interested.

John
Towing 2015 Ford CMax Energi
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:41 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Correct John. There is no Service Bulletin...there is only the Service Solution. There was a member that actually found and posted the SS...but I didn't save it as it really wasn't much to look at.

It is a well documented problem....and if you call Gaffney you may find that they have replaced many many Horton fan clutch units. There is no warranty and Freightliner will not pay for the part...at least on your '08 unit kinein.

The parts guys at Gaffney did mention that they install the Horton Guard Dog as a first step...which costs about $150...but in the end they replace the clutch.

The same member that posted the SS also had FL install the Guard Dog (and at a very high price I would say) for no joy.

There was another member just recently that posted he found his diode in the anti-rotational bracket was bad...and that fixed his issue with the clutch (there is a diode across the contacts inside the connector at the clutch).

The Guard Dog and the anti-rotation bracket (harness) are easily replaced DIY. I think that in the case of members who have replaced these parts where experiencing a total loss of air flow and lock up of the clutch by pulling the fuse. In other words...the clutch wasn't working at all and the diode was the fix. I had considered installing the Guard Dog...but haven't. I replaced my clutch 3 years and 30,000 miles ago....still fully function.

If you have read the many posts regarding this issue...I'm surprised at your conclusion that FL might pay? In any case...depending on your symptom...like not enough air flow....the clutch has failed.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:58 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
You can find a copy of the SS here https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/cum...230056-13.html
I suggest you check out the whole link 16 pages, many post on this, and no Freightliner will NOT reimburse you ..
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:16 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up

Thanks Bob...for the thread link. I couldn't remember, but you were the guy who found and posted the SS 3737 AND the wiring diagram of the clutch fan. Great info.
Thanks again.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinein View Post
Thank you in advance.

After many hours of research through the forums and many post about a service bulletin for the fan clutch issue with a Cummins isb engine.

There is a known issue with the electronic fan clutch and many mentions of a service bulletin. Does anyone happen to know the actual service bulletin # (and yes # is not a hashtag) in regards to the fan clutch issue or Freightliner Service Solution 3737?

Supposedly, Freightliner might cover the part for this repair. I do have an extended warranty on my rig as well.

I was able to find the part number

https://catalog.hortonww.com/part-de...b=applications
Old 08-28-2020, 05:44 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Look back to the third post from here and you will see it
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 12:04 PM   #8

The fan clutch happens to be covered under my extended warranty. Off to the shop in the morning that accepts my coverage. I was going to attempt the fix on my own, but if it is covered under my extended warranty then why do the job.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:51 AM   #9

Overheating 6.7 clutch fan

Quote:
Thank you in advance.

Have contacted Freightliner about this problem, no help.
Talked to Les about converting to a direct drive fan, for $250 he will send to ENG and they will forward info to Freightliner dealer and they will do the work. I will not receive any info for my $250.

Hard to believe that there is not a ISB 6.7 running a direct cooling fan.

Trying to reach complaint line for Eng or CEO. No luck at this time. If you have a direct line please forward to me.

Parts required
4 bolt spacer ( replaces depth of clutch fan) there is a part number for these.
Conversion plate to convert fan from 6 bolt to 4 bolt bolt on. (Horton fan did this)
30" 4 bolt fan to replace 6 bolt OEM fan. ( if required)

Please respond with any info

Thanks
basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:24 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketball View Post
Have contacted Freightliner about this problem, no help.
Talked to Les about converting to a direct drive fan, for $250 he will send to ENG and they will forward info to Freightliner dealer and they will do the work. I will not receive any info for my $250.

Hard to believe that there is not a ISB 6.7 running a direct cooling fan.

Trying to reach complaint line for Eng or CEO. No luck at this time. If you have a direct line please forward to me.

Parts required
4 bolt spacer ( replaces depth of clutch fan) there is a part number for these.
Conversion plate to convert fan from 6 bolt to 4 bolt bolt on. (Horton fan did this)
30" 4 bolt fan to replace 6 bolt OEM fan. ( if required)

Please respond with any info

Thanks
Source Engineering in Oregon offer a direct fan replacement. Requires spacer as you mention. There is a thread on this somewhere...and I was sent the pn for the spacer if you need it. There are folks out there who have done the upgrade.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #11

I have found the Multi-Wing Fan Blade.

30", 9 blade, 4 bolt. Spacer is also available from them. Great people, great price for fan
$275 USD. I do have specs on OEM fan and multi-wing direct drive fan.
This fan is available at Superiorturbo.com. # 1-517-486-0001. The name is Larry Brudzynski. Fans are their business.

If you would like the specs on this fan e-mail me. I can send them to you.
OEM fan @ 25150 cfm @ 2500RPM uses 35.92 hp
Multi-wing fan 2370 cfm @ 2200RPM uses 17.39 hp
These are both 9 blade 30" fans.

If you have a Horton Fan clutch on your coach and it will fail(10% slippage, when you are pulling grades the slippage goes up and so does the temperature), replace with direct drive fan.

Call these people, great info.

Basketball
Old 11-30-2020, 12:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevman View Post
Source Engineering in Oregon offer a direct fan replacement. Requires spacer as you mention. There is a thread on this somewhere...and I was sent the pn for the spacer if you need it. There are folks out there who have done the upgrade.
Do you know the part number for the spacer? 6.7 Cummings 2008.
Dougb1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:48 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougb1972 View Post
Do you know the part number for the spacer? 6.7 Cummings 2008.
I was sent this document by a friend. Page 3 has some pn's for different spacer sizes.

Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2218-FF1-001 fan replacement.pdf (1.54 MB, 111 views)
Old 12-01-2020, 06:32 AM   #14

See post # 11. Larry has part number and all specs Best price for fan.
Call Larry at Superior Turbo.
lbrudzynski@superiorturbo

Tags
fan, service