Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2022, 07:49 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Freightliner Chassis: Did chassis switch dump my air bags?

Searched this forum and found no mention…….Arrived at a park today, auto leveled and extended slides without problem. Prior to auto level bags auto dumped as usual. I do not have a manual dump switch.

Turned off chassis switch as usual. At sunset turned on chassis batt to lower shade. I heard a sound like air leaking out.

Could turning the chassis switch back on cause a dump? Thats all I did.

Thanks
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2022, 03:42 AM   #2

Out of curiosity, why do you shut off your chassis (disconnect switch?) battery when connected to shorepower?

What year, make and model coach do you own?
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 04:22 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Leaving my chassis switch on, even on shore power results in battery drain. Even when hooked to 50 amp service. 2022 Newmar KSDP
Old 06-24-2022, 05:07 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Can you post a picture of your leveler control pad? I have never heard of a unit which didn’t have a manual dump.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 05:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSon View Post
Searched this forum and found no mention…….Arrived at a park today, auto leveled and extended slides without problem. Prior to auto level bags auto dumped as usual. I do not have a manual dump switch.

Turned off chassis switch as usual. At sunset turned on chassis batt to lower shade. I heard a sound like air leaking out.

Could turning the chassis switch back on cause a dump? Thats all I did.

Thanks
This is a shot in the dark since you have such a new coach, but could you have turned off the chassis battery switch too soon, before the autodump was completed?

Now for the question you did not ask. I feel there is something wrong if as you say "Leaving my chassis switch on, even on shore power results in battery drain." In your coach, all of the batteries should remain fully charged while on any shore or generator power.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:46 AM   #6

I think the electrical problem that is causing the battery drain while on shore power needs to be addressed first and then the air dump. Might even find the two are related.
jaydee325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:18 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks everyone, answers follow.

Passdad1 picture below. I believe dump is part of the auto leveling procedure when auto level button is pushed. After reading about others systems I was also surprised there was no dump switch - buy maybe this is the ‘new’ way? Many thanks.

bigd9 It was about 5 hours after I leveled. I agree with your question. Will check it after I break camp and unplug to get a true batt level. Good point.

Jaydee325 Very well could be related. And agree battery drain prob first.

Glad to have this sounding board, it helps greatly!

Appreciate it all. Will post results - thanks again!
Old 06-24-2022, 02:36 PM   #8

I'm not certain your picture attached to your post...at least on my Android it didn't.

As others have said and why I originally inquired about it, the charging system in most coaches today charge both the house and chassis batteries via the alternator while underway and both the generator or shorepower through your on board inverter/charger.

Troubleshooting with a voltmeter should be your first course of fire.

Let us know if we can help further.
Old 06-25-2022, 04:48 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Passdad1 picture below.

Thanks Toribk

I can see the charge rate on both house and chassis and they seem to be the same. It may just be parasitic power drain. Will check on leaving.

Thanks again all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4287A71E-857C-46BF-BDAF-56657746508D.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	369261  
Old 06-25-2022, 06:32 AM   #10

FloridaSon,

Attached is the installation and operation manual. Page 11 references the integration with the air suspension system to deflate the airbags using the auto-leveling feature.

Hope this helps on your initial question and FYI...EQ Systems has a tech support line on their website for consumer troubleshooting.

As I think another person mentioned, perhaps the airbags hadn't completely deflated when the auto level concluded and what you were hearing was the additional residual air expelling....just a wild guess at this point sitting on the sidelines.

EQ021R4-EQ(1).pdf
Old 06-30-2022, 06:59 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks everyone. So after a week plugged in with Chassis battery switch left on I started to agree that it could have been coincidence or I could have been mistaken about the sound of air being dumped.

Watching the charge to the chassis batteries, it went through the usual bulk, float and top? Charge rates. Then yesterday it jumped to a charge voltage of 15.4v for about four hours. Reading about the voltage, seems it ranges from people saying that is normal to one or more cells are dead.

But this morning, I started the engine while plugged in, discommected everything and drove to the tow vehicle connect areas.

I turned off the engine, left the chassis battery on and took about 10-15 minutes getting hooked up. When I got back in the coach, waited for the gauges to settle and started the engine, it lagged and had trouble stating for a few seconds.

I will get the battery load tested and start there.

Thanks again
Old 07-01-2022, 12:37 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
2022 Country Star - Suggestion, since such a new Coach - Call Newmar might be Better?
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 02:10 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
2022 Country Star - Suggestion, since such a new Coach - Call Newmar might be Better?
Not just yet; I called my Newmar dealer who agreed to check it out with the other punch list and recall items. Doing this Thursday.

Thanks

Tags
ags, air, air bags, chassis, freightliner, switch