Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #1

Freightliner Compressed air system Drain Lanyard

Looking over some of the Freightliner manuals on my fairly new to me 2005 Airstream 396 XL Diesel pusher on a Freightliner chassis i came across a section on the Compressed Air System. I had the Air Dryer serviced by Freightliner after I purchased the coach earlier this year but it looks like I should also be doing some periodic maintenance by pulling the 3 "Drain Lanyards" at least every 6 months to to drain any built moisture. Where would these "Drain Lanyards" be located. Thanks for any input and information.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They are attached to the compressed air tanks under the coach. Its a flexible wire pull connected to a vent valve, usually coiled up. You must have compressed air in the tanks for them to work. You will have to get down under there and look for them.

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #3

Adonh,
Not sure about your Airstream but, on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with C-7 330 HP, the lanyards are hanging from or, coming through the frame, just inside the right front tire. You may have to get down on one knee (hard for a lot of folks like us) and take a look deep inside that fenderwell. They can be obscured. And, then again, on your Airstream, they might not even be there. But, it's still a Freightliner chassis so, they "should" be there. Let us know what you find out will you?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also keep in mind that the drain cocks pull to the side not straight out. Mine has 2 on the passenger side and one on the driver side. All in the front wheel well.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Adonh,
Not sure about your Airstream but, on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with C-7 330 HP, the lanyards are hanging from or, coming through the frame, just inside the right front tire. You may have to get down on one knee (hard for a lot of folks like us) and take a look deep inside that fenderwell. They can be obscured. And, then again, on your Airstream, they might not even be there. But, it's still a Freightliner chassis so, they "should" be there. Let us know what you find out will you?
Scott
This is where mine are too (Fleetwood). They're quite easy to see--just above the tire.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #6

In my earlier airstream at least one of the lanyards is inside the first bay behind the front door. The other two are on the other side of the MH
Old 09-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
In my earlier airstream at least one of the lanyards is inside the first bay behind the front door. The other two are on the other side of the MH
I only had a few minutes to look for these today and did not find them. I will try the first bay by the door. I may be looking right at them and not recognize them.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After you pull them

On a coach that old it's a good idea to have some spare valves. Once you pull them they will probably start leaking. Two of mine did.

I bought these : Brass Pull Drainvalve for Air Tanks 150 PSI 1 4"MPT | eBay

But first make sure your tanks are the same size.

Use the red compressor fitting sealant on the threads.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sometimes they can be hard to see because they blend into color of the frame. Once I located mine I put a piece of silver duct tape on each one. Very easy for these old eyes to see now.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Mine sticking out just in front of and above the front tires on both sides. I have two heavy duty bungee cords to hook them with and pull and hold on the tire rims while we get ready for storing or camping.
navychop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Use a big piece of cardboard and lay down next to RV so you can look underneath with a flashlight. Look for the 3 air tanks, (steel cylinders) and they should have a drain on the bottom with a lanyard attached. Follow lanyard to it's attachment point usually within reach from one side or other. Some are in wheel wells, in compartments, mine attach inside LP tank compartment. They could be anywhere.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #12

all you will see is a loop of thin steel wire (less than 1/8" diameter) possibly running inside some 3/8" black plastic tube saddled to the bodywork.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
all you will see is a loop of thin steel wire (less than 1/8" diameter) possibly running inside some 3/8" black plastic tube saddled to the bodywork.
Found them in the front wheel wells. Pulled both for a second and just air as it is supposed to be so I ma fine. I will check monthly or so as suggested. Thnaks
Old 09-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I was just at Freightliner in Gaffney. The tech told me that folks use a bent rod to reach the Drain Lanyards. Anyone with an awning rod has just the tool. I need to make or buy one.

Tags
freightliner