Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2008, 05:07 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm getting ready to do a radiator hose replacement on our RV. I just got off the phone with my local Freightliner dealer regarding the prices and availability of the two major hoses, because of the answers that I got, I'm looking for alternatives.

OK, before I start, I know that I'm "playing with the big boys" and should not get sticker shock over any price that they want to charge. That said, the upper radiator hose (05-28071-000) is $183 and the lower (A05-18795-000) is $215.

I've tried my local NAPA supplier and he cannot cross the Freightliner part numbers for those items to something that he can use. I'm sure that the hoses come from Gates or Dayco and I might get a better price on them from elsewhere. At least I thought that I'd give it a try. I'm not in a hurry and would prefer to spend a little extra time to save a little money if that is possible.

Ideas?
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2008, 05:07 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm getting ready to do a radiator hose replacement on our RV. I just got off the phone with my local Freightliner dealer regarding the prices and availability of the two major hoses, because of the answers that I got, I'm looking for alternatives.

OK, before I start, I know that I'm "playing with the big boys" and should not get sticker shock over any price that they want to charge. That said, the upper radiator hose (05-28071-000) is $183 and the lower (A05-18795-000) is $215.

I've tried my local NAPA supplier and he cannot cross the Freightliner part numbers for those items to something that he can use. I'm sure that the hoses come from Gates or Dayco and I might get a better price on them from elsewhere. At least I thought that I'd give it a try. I'm not in a hurry and would prefer to spend a little extra time to save a little money if that is possible.

Ideas?
Old 03-19-2008, 05:21 AM   #3

Why not go directly to Freightliner? Freightliner in Gaffney will sell direct and ship. If you belong to the Chassis Owners Club, they also discount parts by 10%.

A kink to their contact information is here:

http://www.freightlinerchassis.com/m...p?page=service
Old 03-19-2008, 06:53 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the tip, Larry. I accessed the website and called the number provided but was transferred to voice mail. I found a parts request link on the website, provided my part numbers and submitted it.

I'm not optimistic that I'm going to get a different answer than I got through my local Freightliner dealer. My local dealer was ordering the parts from the Memphis depot and I suspect that Gaffney will do the same. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised but I'm not holding my breath.

What I was hoping for was someone who had experience, other than physically taking a part to a parts store and trying to match it, of dealing with the Freightliner part numbers. Perhaps I'm being too optimistic that that is possible.

Charlie
Old 03-19-2008, 10:39 AM   #5

You might ought to ask them for a complete list of hoses you need. I have a total of 4 upper, lower and two short ones associated with the engine.

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:01 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm using the diagram of my configuration out of PartPro, a function of Access Freightliner to determine the parts needed. I was a little skeptical about FCC as a source for the parts but they got back to me with some terrific prices, saying that I would need 3 hoses to do the job. There are two more hoses that I plan to buy locally (per the diagram and FCC's suggestion.) FCC's hose clamps are not affordable because of the quantity that I would have to buy so I need of find a local source for those, too.

I have pictures from JWalker of the job that he recently completed on his coolant hoses. I'll be comparing those to my configuration tomorrow..
Old 03-19-2008, 07:09 PM   #7

Glad to hear that the contact to FCC worked out.

Safe travels.

Larry