Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2023, 10:56 AM   #1

Freightliner Responsibility

Freightliner needs to own the reliability of their products. For me, their product is 100% of the chassis.

Money aside, if there is a problem with their product, any FL dealer should offer assistance to fix or without excuses.

There should be no difference between FL and any auto manufacturing company. The thing i bought, broke. Money aside, warranty aside, fix it. Their attitude is, sorry..Covid ate the parts you need so your $500k vehicle is a very large paper weight. Huh?

Also, what's with the FL Camp? CAMP? for what?? Mercedes doesn't have a camp? Chevy, BMW doesn't have a camp. What makes these MH makers think all buyers are mechanics?

Frustrated as the anticipated pleasure of MH camping etc... had turned into being a mechanical project management job.
stutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2023, 11:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutch View Post
Frustrated as the anticipated pleasure of MH camping etc... had turned into being a mechanical project management job.

For better or worse, that IS reality.

And, I suspect is well known by anyone who researched RV ownership on this or any other on-line site.

Just like boat ownership, the "dream" is often not the reality.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:33 AM   #3

stutch, I am confused...are you having issues with Freightliner service or support? I don't see anything specific in your post.

The two times I've needed service from Freightliner were both minor recall issues. Each time we were dealt with fairly, and were in and out in a few hours. The first time we stayed overnight in their lot to be first in line the next day. The second time we were in-transit and called a Freightliner shop a few hours down the road to see if they could fit us in quickly, which they did.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 02:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Freightliner needs to own the reliability of their products. For me, their product is 100% of the chassis.

Money aside, if there is a problem with their product, any FL dealer should offer assistance to fix or without excuses.

There should be no difference between FL and any auto manufacturing company. The thing i bought, broke. Money aside, warranty aside, fix it. Their attitude is, sorry..Covid ate the parts you need so your $500k vehicle is a very large paper weight. Huh?

Also, what's with the FL Camp? CAMP? for what?? Mercedes doesn't have a camp? Chevy, BMW doesn't have a camp. What makes these MH makers think all buyers are mechanics?

So reading between the lines, your coach broke, and the part you need isn't available, right?

As far as camps go these RV's are like a FORD, that is Fix Or Repair Daily. I tell prospect new owners, "one of two things must happen before you buy a RV. Either you must be able to fix things yourself or have enough money to pay someone to fix things." And these things can be complicated to fix. Shoot, just trying to figure out who owns what is complicated. For example, in my coach, Caterpillar owns the engine, but wait, they don't own the exhaust brake or exhaust system after that, Freightliner does, but wait they don't own the entire exhaust system, Fleetwood owens part of it, but wait, Fleetwood is no longer supporting my age coach. The camp I went to was enlightening. They stressed the point of you need to know your coach, and who owns what.

Good luck in getting whatever part you need. BTW. what is it?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 04:06 AM   #5

Been on a nationwide search for an AC Condensor for my 2015 Dutch Star since August. Freightliner has no idea when or if the part will be available. "IF".....

Had 2 dealerships as well as FCCC tell me "Sorry!!"

Cant have it repaired, been down that route, cant get a replacement, no cross reference to anything else, nothing!!! My local dealership has been wonderful, no complaints there but there is only so much they can do.

My beef with FL is they are not offering any solutions but full of excuses. Never could i have imagined my purchase of a motorhome 6 years ago could lose a vital component that makes it unbearable to drive in the summer.
Old 02-04-2023, 04:51 AM   #6

What about a salvage yard? There are several that specialize in RV's around this beautiful country. I would think one of them might have what you are looking for.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 05:51 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Been on a nationwide search for an AC Condensor for my 2015 Dutch Star since August. Freightliner has no idea when or if the part will be available. "IF".....

Had 2 dealerships as well as FCCC tell me "Sorry!!"

Cant have it repaired, been down that route, cant get a replacement, no cross reference to anything else, nothing!!! My local dealership has been wonderful, no complaints there but there is only so much they can do.

My beef with FL is they are not offering any solutions but full of excuses. Never could i have imagined my purchase of a motorhome 6 years ago could lose a vital component that makes it unbearable to drive in the summer.
You have been offered alternatives for your condenser on your previous post. Sorry if you don't seem to want to do that. FL didn't make so they don't have a responsibility to replace. In case you forgot, coldhose.com will get you the condenser you need.
Old 02-04-2023, 05:53 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
So reading between the lines, your coach broke, and the part you need isn't available, right?

As far as camps go these RV's are like a FORD, that is Fix Or Repair Daily. I tell prospect new owners, "one of two things must happen before you buy a RV. Either you must be able to fix things yourself or have enough money to pay someone to fix things." And these things can be complicated to fix. Shoot, just trying to figure out who owns what is complicated. For example, in my coach, Caterpillar owns the engine, but wait, they don't own the exhaust brake or exhaust system after that, Freightliner does, but wait they don't own the entire exhaust system, Fleetwood owens part of it, but wait, Fleetwood is no longer supporting my age coach. The camp I went to was enlightening. They stressed the point of you need to know your coach, and who owns what.

Good luck in getting whatever part you need. BTW. what is it?
GREAT POST
Old 02-04-2023, 05:58 AM   #9

Back in 2020 I saw three beautiful new diesel Motorhomes sit all summer waiting for a fuel rail part. When they checked the fuel rail they broke the special washer, yep, it bricks the RV. They waited 3 months for the part. Bricked at a Freightliner shop.
Fuel rail recall? unbelievable destructive forces on a once great company, has to be management or stupid engineering.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 06:39 AM   #10
Community Moderator

I feel for you. However dash air conditioner is not a part which should stop you from driving and enjoying your motorhome. Run the generator, and turn on the front roof air conditioner to “high”. On our Dutchstar it will freeze us pretty quickly, as the front AC pushes the most air out of those far forward ducts.

You can also set the dash air to “vent” and blow the fan to circulate the cold air if you choose.

We are dealing with an dash AC not working now too, will hopefully get it diagnosed March 15 in Gaffney, SC.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 08:52 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
FL dealers are all different. The ones designated as "Oasis" dealers are supposed to be RV friendly, with power and water hook ups. I've gotten good service from some FL dealers, horrible over priced service from others. I stopped at one dealer listed as an Oasis dealer and the people inside didn't know they were an Oasis dealer.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 11:49 AM   #12

This may be my next move.. lol.. 2015 Newmar Dutch Star Owner scrounging around junkyards for spare parts because OEM abandoned him.

Isnt that nice?
Old 02-04-2023, 11:50 AM   #13

Or both
Old 02-04-2023, 11:58 AM   #14

Not a money issue. Your assumption of Fix yourself or pay someone else doesn't apply here.

I saw the effort it took to remove my condensor. NO THANKS!! Not in my wheelhouse.

Can't throw money at it. Can't fix it myself. Part has been non-existent since i started searching Aug 2022. I have to assume it no longer is made.

So, spend hundreds of thousands on a thing and pray you can get it fixed if it breaks. Imagine if this was a critical component that grounds your MH.

Oh. BTW, this is not an old vehicle. 6 years old!

Tags
freightliner