Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #1

Fuel Gauge Versus Remaining Diesel Fuel

I always fill up when the gauge registers around 1/4 and have never put more than 50-53 gallons in. I have a 90 gallon tank accord to Freightliner.

Is there that much fuel left in the tank (37 gal) when you get down to 1/4 tank?
lavamanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavamanz View Post
Is there that much fuel left in the tank (37 gal) when you get down to 1/4 tank?
The answer to your question can be immediately answered by a technician at 800-FTL-HELP Monday through Friday from 8 to 5 pm.

Consider participating in the Freighliner Chat on Wednesday evenings at 9:00pm Eastern. There will be a number of FCCC owners present and they would be more than willing to share their experiences with you.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavamanz View Post
I always fill up when the gauge registers around 1/4 and have never put more than 50-53 gallons in. I have a 90 gallon tank accord to Freightliner.

Lavamanz, Yes, do drop in and bring that question up on Wednesday evening. There should be several experienced Freightliner owners present.

I have read that on some freightliner chassis, when the coach builder receives the bare chassis the vent tube is coiled up on top of the tank and not uncoiled before the bodywork begins. End result is poor venting causing slow fill ups. You may want to check there. A call to freightliner as DriVer suggests may quide you to the vent tube location.

Although may tank is 150 gallon I usually find the last 10-15% of fill to be painfully slow. Kinda like punishment, watching the pump go slow enough so that you can actually see the dollars rolling up!!!
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #4

Because diesel fuel foams (gasoline does not), it is hard to get a full fill, as stated above. The only way to get an accurate reading is to top off the tank very slowly when it gets near full. It has to be on a level pad at the fueling station. If you have fills on both sides, you should check both for liquid fuel very close to the top. A flashlight will help. This will give you a good baseline. In warm weather, it is not a good idea to fill to the top, as fuel dispensed from underground tanks will be cool, and will expand once it heats up in the vehicle tank.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #5

Lavamanz, On my RV when it's about a quarter tank it seems to take 50 to 60 gallons and like yours it's a 90 gallon tank. That's usually around 400 to 450 miles.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:08 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
my chassis has a 100 gallon tank
if i wait to fill up at the 1/4 tank reading
i can get 65-70 in before the first click off, if i wait for the foam to settle, then another 4-7 gallons goes in, depending on the slant of the fuel station.

mine stays on full for a very short time then hangs at 3/4 forever
from 1/2 to 1/4 goes pretty normal as i gauge fuel burn vs miles

1/4 i get nervy.

but so far over the life its pert near the 20-30 left at a 1/4 which gives me

175 miles or so.......
i will add the dash bar readout that shows gallons burned each leg or for the trip is imo very accurate. And i use it as a real gauge on how far we can go.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2021 F250 or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #7

I Jane a TripTek drive computer which also gets info from the my computer. Sometimes fuel use is very close, sometimes not. Just had.some work done at Culminating. They said there is no flow meter and fuel.use us CALCULATED with an algorithm from load, rpm, and other factors. Not by measuring actual fuel.
Vern
Old 12-31-2011, 10:35 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
From what I've read on other forums, the fuel guages on many coaches is way off. So far I'm one of the lucky ones, my guage is pretty accurate. I have a 100 gallon tank and when the guage reaches 1/2 it takes 50 gallons to fill. I can usually call how much it's going to take to fill the tank within 2 gallons. There can be that much foaming error.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #9

On my 90 gallon fuel tank Freightliner says that 10 gallons are not used so it is essentially and 80 gallon tank. I have gotten down to having the low fuel warning light come on and when that happens I give myself a maximum of 100 miles to find fuel.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #10

125 Gallon Tank

I have a 2000 Winn UA 40J and my when the gaudge goes into the red I can only fill up 90 gallons.
tbethurum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I always feel that if the gauge reads less than the fuel I have it is a good thing. Better to only put in 50 or 60 gallons at a 1/4 tank than to run out at 1/2 on gauge. JMO
Old 01-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When my guage get below 1/2 tank my right seat alarm starts clanking and won't shut off until I pull in for fuel.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
When my guage get below 1/2 tank my right seat alarm starts clanking and won't shut off until I pull in for fuel.
... I got one of those too!
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
From what I've read on other forums, the fuel guages on many coaches is way off. So far I'm one of the lucky ones, my guage is pretty accurate. I have a 100 gallon tank and when the guage reaches 1/2 it takes 50 gallons to fill. I can usually call how much it's going to take to fill the tank within 2 gallons. There can be that much foaming error.
At a quarter my 100 gal tak still has 28 30 gallon, but is suspect it is not clear full as others have stated previously. I have had the fuel gauge replaced and it is not much better now than before.

Tags
diesel, fuel