Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2020, 12:54 PM   #1

Fuel Tank Inlet Tube

I have a Freightliner XC chassis. I was wondering if anyone has had a fuel leak at the fuel neck tube and the fuel tank? I believe the fuel neck tube treads into the fuel tank. If so, was it hard to remove the fuel neck tube to reseal and reinstall?

Any thoughts are appreciated..
Rubicon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2020, 04:31 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
I just did the passenger side. The hose was delaminating and dripping. Interestingly the tank was full but I lost a good bit of fuel as the inlet is partly down the side of the tank. This was on a 2002 Freightliner XC. It wasn't hard to do once I drew off enough fuel, I used a Dremel to cut the clamps and the hose to remove it. This was a straight hose, about 6 to 8 inches if I remember right.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:31 PM   #3

Thank you Dunrollin for your reply.
I may not have explained myself very well. I was referring to the metal pipe that goes through the frame rail and screws into the tank. It is at the treaded connection on the tank where I believe I have a leak.
Rubicon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon2 View Post
Thank you Dunrollin for your reply.
I may not have explained myself very well. I was referring to the metal pipe that goes through the frame rail and screws into the tank. It is at the treaded connection on the tank where I believe I have a leak.
Well,
I am by far, no expert on this subject but, typically, at least from what I can remember on our fire trucks, the large nipple is welded to the tank. And, a neoprene hose, that leads from the fuel inlet at the body, to the nipple at the tank makes the link between the two. I don't remember any of the nipples "screwing" into the tank but, again, I'm no expert. Are you dead sure you don't have this kind of scenario? There has to be a flexible connected rubber/neoprene line somewhere from the filler port to the tank, maybe two, depending on how long the run is from the filler port to the tank. There may be a short section of flex line from the port, to hard section, and then another short flex section leading onto the nipple on the tank. Just guessing.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 02:27 PM   #5

As I had been looking in the forums for other who have had issues with fuel neck leaks on a Freightliner chassis and all I could find is this old thread. So, I figured that I would answer this question.

As I have been dealing with a persistent fuel leak from the passenger side of the tank after filling up. I first added additional hose clamps and still had the leak. I then obtained the steel reinforced fuel hose from Freightliner and the replaced the existing hose and the leak persisted. I tried some 2" standard fuel hose, not steel reinforced and the leak persisted.

I then talked to a local dealer, and they recommended to have the tank dropped, inspected and possibly re-weld the fuel port. Thay said that the fuel threads were NPTF or National Pipe thread fuel and these threads do not need a thread compound and a crack was the most likely problem after all my other attempts have not resolved the leak. And the tank could not we welded in place. I did not feel comfortable with this.

I called Freightliner Their rep, Justin was great. Justin said that he has worked on around 100 Freightliner leaking fuel tanks and leaks at the fuel port threads are related to road vibrations. and sometimes a thread compound is needed even though the NPTF threads not always require a thread sealant. Justin instructed me to remove the fuel neck at the tank and use Lock tight #567 thread sealant as it us resistant to diesel. Justin said that he has never had to drop a fuel tank on an RV chassis due to a crack around the fuel neck. Justin said that there are a lot of electrical, hydraulic lines, cooling lines running next to the fuel tank. Justing also asked if I had any issues with the driver's side fuel fill port and as I did not, he recommend that to not think about dropping the tank.

Attached pictures of the fuel neck, this is a one-piece machined neck complete with 1 1/2" threads. the neck was not tight as it should have been. I found older thread compound and suspect a previous repair was made with a standard plumbing compound and this did not hold up. I cleaned up the fuel neck, applied the #567 compound and reinstalled the fill neck.

Attached picture of the tank threads for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 inch fuel neck.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	370295   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank fuel port threads.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	343.0 KB
ID:	370296  

daveh5525 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags