Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2007, 08:56 PM   #1

Took our Expedition out for a little exercise today before the bottom drops out of the thermometer tonight. I also started the generator up to give it a little work-out. While cruising along on the interstate I looked up and saw a 10 amp load on the generator meter. By the time I got back home (30 minutes later) the load had dropped to around 7 amps. As soon as I shut the coach engine down the load instantly dropped to 1 amp. What would the operation of the coach engine have to do with making a load on the generator? My first thought was the batteries were charging, but they should have a full charge from being plugged in all the time. Any ideas?

2005 Expedition 38N C7 300hp
mystere900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2007, 08:56 PM   #2

Took our Expedition out for a little exercise today before the bottom drops out of the thermometer tonight. I also started the generator up to give it a little work-out. While cruising along on the interstate I looked up and saw a 10 amp load on the generator meter. By the time I got back home (30 minutes later) the load had dropped to around 7 amps. As soon as I shut the coach engine down the load instantly dropped to 1 amp. What would the operation of the coach engine have to do with making a load on the generator? My first thought was the batteries were charging, but they should have a full charge from being plugged in all the time. Any ideas?

Old 02-04-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sort of depends on how the electrical systems in your coach are wired, so this question probably belongs in the Fleetwood group rather than Freightliner.

Your batteries can be charged from either the engine alternator or the converter/charger, but not both at the same time. When both are active, as is the case with the genset and engine both running, your coach electrical system decides which one is connected to the batteries. I don't know which one your Expedition gives preference to, but a relay will be open for one charge source and closed for the other. When you shut the engine down, then only the generator-converter/charger path is active.

I'm not familiar with the Expedition electrical gauges, but wonder if the gauge you read was showing generator amp output only or perhaps reading some selected source which may change. The display on my American Tradition shows multiple sources, depending on what is currently active.

I'm going to link this to the Fleetwood board to see if anybody there has an idea.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:47 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Roger... just a thought. Do you keep your refrigerator on when plugged in and stored at the house. If so, this could be your load. 7 to 10 amps is about right for a refrig. I know a lot of folks do keep their refer on all the time as long as they have AC power to plug into.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:42 AM   #5

Hi Bob,

Actually, when I first started out I had forgot to turn off the block heater and was showing a 17 amp load. Pulled off to the side turned it off (load dropped to 10 amps) and made a check for any other equipment that might have been left on but didn't find anything. I think if the fridge had been left on the load would be there whether the coach engine was running or not. In this case the load goes away when the engine is shut down. I also think Gary is on the right track with his idea about battery charge priority. The converter charger having priority over the engine generator. The engine batteries, having been depleted from the start cycle, required a charge which is being provided by the converter charger, if it has priority. What I don't understand is if the converter has priority why does the load go away when the engine is shut down? Wouldn't the load still be there when the key is turned off. The ignition key is removing some kind of load, whether it is charging or maybe just the basic electrical load of the engine, I don't know. The following is what the owners manual says about battery charging.

"Both sets of batteries will be kept charged by the chassis engine alternator and charging system while you are driving. The DC power converter will charge the chassis and house batteries when plugged into 120-volt AC service or by the generator."

Doesn't really say anything about priority. Maybe I should give Fleetwood a call.

Thanks to all for the help.