Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2015, 06:35 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Getting an 04 Revolution up to maintenace spec... (noob help)

I'm strongly considering buying a 2004 Fleetwood Revolution - 350 ISC. I know they are a quality coach and I've looked at several and have found the "right" one.

The particular one that I'm looking for is on it's 2nd owner. It was used primarily as a "tailgate" vehicle - so lots of generator run time and very few total miles. That owner (and the previous) really took care of the rig - it's beautiful cosmetically and has been updated. However, the current owner isn't mechanically inclined and calls someone out to service every little thing... In terms of servicing the chassis, really the only thing that's been done in the last 3 years is changing the fuel filter annually. Very low mileage coach - 24k total.

I haven't owned a DP before. If I was to take this thing into Freightliner - what am I looking at to get it back to maintenance spec (ballpark)? Below is my list, what else am I missing?
  • Oil change
  • Transmission fluid change
  • Filters - Fuel / Water / Hydraulic
  • Hydraulic fluid change
  • Chassis Lube
  • Check/re-lube wheel bearings
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2015, 07:49 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Not being familiar with rates in the Austin TX area, I'd guess somewhere $500 to $1000 for what you have listed. Be sure to check the dates on the tires (assuming you have 6, that will be $3500 or more to replace them) and the batteries. Batteries will be $75 to $200 apiece, depending on what you replace them with.

Used Revolutions seem to be sought after. They're good solid coaches and you should get many happy (s)miles out of it.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:57 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
FYI - Freighliner of Austin quoted me $800-$900 for just the transmission.
Oil change $200 in labor + parts.
The rest of it, they wouldn't touch, which surprised me as the hydraulics are part of the cooling system...

All of this stuff I can do -- although the transmission has a *lot* of fluid that would be a challenge.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
I'm strongly considering buying a 2004 Fleetwood Revolution - 350 ISC. I know they are a quality coach and I've looked at several and have found the "right" one.

The particular one that I'm looking for is on it's 2nd owner. It was used primarily as a "tailgate" vehicle - so lots of generator run time and very few total miles. That owner (and the previous) really took care of the rig - it's beautiful cosmetically and has been updated. However, the current owner isn't mechanically inclined and calls someone out to service every little thing... In terms of servicing the chassis, really the only thing that's been done in the last 3 years is changing the fuel filter annually. Very low mileage coach - 24k total.

I haven't owned a DP before. If I was to take this thing into Freightliner - what am I looking at to get it back to maintenance spec (ballpark)? Below is my list, what else am I missing?
  • Oil change
  • Transmission fluid change
  • Filters - Fuel / Water / Hydraulic
  • Hydraulic fluid change
  • Chassis Lube
  • Check/re-lube wheel bearings

Here is a fairly generic listing of service points on a diesel chassis. Some will vary of course:

Complete base line service for Cummins diesel motorhome:

Engine: filters to be Fleetguard
1. Oil/filter
2. Fuel filters (2)
3. Coolant filter if equipped and test/ adjust SCA level if standard coolant. Change coolant @ 5 years. Add extender at 3 years if OAT type coolant.
4. Air filter if over 3 years old. Inspect plumbing between filter and turbo inlet for evidence of dust. Inspect CAC plumbing.
5. Inspect hoses & belts.

Transmission: filters to be Allison high capacity.
1. Change filters @ 36 months & top up.
2. Change fluid @ 48 months or test sample.
Always use TES295 fluid as approved by Allison.

Chassis:
1. Complete lube including lifting front axle from ends to unload king pins.
2. Including 3 zerks on steering column and one zerk on steering box.
3. Change Hydraulic filter & top up.
4. Change air dryer cartridge @ 2-3 years.
5. Grease front wheel bearings 3-5 years or change to oil hubs & inspect.
6. Change differential gear oil @ 3-5 years.
7. Inspect brake surfaces.
8. Inspect oil level tag axle hubs.
9. Inspect both chassis & house batteries. Make sure all connections are clean & tight. If flooded lead acid, check & top up with distilled water monthly.

Generator:
1. Oil/ filter
2. Fuel filter
3. Air filter
4. Perform valve lash, belt/ hose replacement and generator unit service before 2000 hours. Replace thermostat and coolant @ that time.

AquaHot:
1. Replace fuel filter
2. Replace burner nozzle
3. Exercise tempering valve.
4. Inspect coolant level at top of AquaHot unit and at expansion tank.

Inspect and clean all battery terminals.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:18 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you can take it to the Freightliner Service Center in Gaffney SC it would be best. They are the best and at a reasonable price. Call Pat and she will give you an honest estimate and do the job right. You can stay right there with electric hook up for free. I found the Freightliner Dealer around central Ohio a rip off on prices.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:43 PM   #6

About $1,200 at Freightliner Factory Service in Gaffney, SC.

I just had all this done on ours a few months ago.

2006 Mandalay 40E
Cummins ISL 400 HP
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace