Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #1

Hard to Drive....

So we bought this 40ft Gulfstream recently, took it out for the maden voyage the other day, went to Bakersfield from Salem Or. Mostly went OK.

The only issue I have was the wandering (I really had to consentrate on keeping it between the lines) Freighliner chassis, brand new tires, bell crank, sway bar.

While I am new to RVing, I spent 20 years driving truck...

Getting an alignment on next Saturday, Is it me or anyone else have issues with the steering on these units?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Possible issues and improvements:

1: (You already schedled this) alignment
2: Tire pressure, it has to be proper for the weight the tire is carrying, NOTE this may be different from both the sticker and the sidewall (Most likely WILL be different) may also be different corner to corner.

3: There are 3 problems that plague RV's due to their top heavy construciton

1: Sway, Side to side rocking, like people at a rock concert Solution sway bars

Diagnosis, have chase driver observe vehicle if it tilts right and left, add sway bar.

2: Wag, the chassis is going straight down the road but the body is doing the shimmy wagging like a dog. Solution TRACK BARS or Pan Hard bars (Same thing)

Diagnosis, again the chase driver.

3: Steering wander. This is where the chassis wanders.. NOTE hard to diagnose less other issues fixed first.. Solution... Steering stablizer, Safe-T-Steer or my choice was the Blue-OX stablizer.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #3

Besides correct tire pressure after weighing all four corners, and correct alignment, be sure to check for any binding (bellcrank) or loose components in front end. Most of my problem was slop in the steering box which is adjustable (at least on my model) but most shops do not want to adjust the steering box. Several other Freightliner owners have had this same problem. There is another thread in this forum about adjusting the steering box.

Unless Freightliner has changed their design, your chassis will already have front and rear trac bars as standard equipment.

I did install a steer-safe, and it helped eliminate rut tracking but that was the only difference I could detect. It was already tracking nicely before I installed the steer-safe.

Fred
Old 08-20-2012, 03:25 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I am not sure on your model of MH but before a alignment check the ride height
adjustment. Call Freightliner with the chassis vin# and they will tell you the measurements and how and where to measure it. Also note this is an often over
looked item that is to be checked every 6 month/ 6000 miles/ and at service.
Improper front ride height adjustment will cause the whole alignment to be out and
is like trying to herd a bunch of cats down the road.
The rear sets the drive line angle to the pinion yoke and must be correct.
All of these adjustments are plus or minus 1/4 inch on most Freightliner chassis's
If it needs adjustment I suggest you take it to a Freightliner shop or a shop that
knows how to make the adjustments as most shops do not have a clue on the proper
way to adjust it.
Side Note: Unless you have access to a drive over pit doing it your self is very
dangerous as a mistake will cause the unit to drop and crush you.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote