RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2020, 07:02 PM   #1

Help identify these systems?

Hey! Just bought a '99 Fleetwood 39Z on a Freightliner Chassis. Any one have any idea what these cords/systems/valves are?

Hot water heater wiring. The yellow one is just an extension cord that comes from a hole in the adjacent storage area. The other two come from the left side of the HWH. I cannot see where they terminate.

Rear engine radiator access panel. The red thing is Trans Oil. What does this little valve do?

Water valve looking thing at back of engine.
I made a post about some engine issues I'm having, but curious if anyone knows the answer.

Thanks! so much to learn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eng valve.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	301515   Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	301516  

Name:	Rear coach.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	301517  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2020, 09:47 PM   #2

Water heater: Looks to be something added by a PO. Probably plugs into the yellow cord, but I cannot identify the round end connector. Might be a cord to a heating element for the water heater to avoid draining during winter. Could be related to the odd looking arrangement at the drain plug. That flex hose tapped into the drain plug bung is also not OG. Where does that flex line end and what is at the end?

Engine: that looks to be a valve to shut off coolant flow through the block.

No clue about the petcock.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Water heater: Looks to be something added by a PO. Probably plugs into the yellow cord, but I cannot identify the round end connector. Might be a cord to a heating element for the water heater to avoid draining during winter. Could be related to the odd looking arrangement at the drain plug. That flex hose tapped into the drain plug bung is also not OG. Where does that flex line end and what is at the end?
Thanks -- the flex line comes from HWH drain and ends at a valve that can be opened to drain. I think PO installed to avoid unscrewing the anode every year to make winterizing easier. IDK if there is an anode in there now.. Time to find out.

I was thinking that the black circular female end was power from coach to HWH, but PO decided he wanted to power HWH direct from shore power. What do you think?
Old 09-19-2020, 09:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaldrich View Post
Thanks -- the flex line comes from HWH drain and ends at a valve that can be opened to drain. I think PO installed to avoid unscrewing the anode every year to make winterizing easier. IDK if there is an anode in there now.. Time to find out.

I was thinking that the black circular female end was power from coach to HWH, but PO decided he wanted to power HWH direct from shore power. What do you think?
Could very well be a drain line, that makes sense. The heater is an Atwood (you can tell by the adjustable burner vents) which does not use an anode rod since the tank is aluminum.

Without knowing the model of the heater, much is guessing. However, what you have is clearly owner installed. Atwood electric heating elements are at the rear of the heater and are notoriously difficult to access. I cannot imagine a PO trying to power that element via a cord set up like you have, but who knows?

Here's what you might try. Use a multimeter and check the sockets in the round end for any voltage, AC or DC. If not found, test the round end sockets for continuity with the prongs on the plug. This will confirm it is the same cord. (We cannot see the entire area so if you can see the cord is one and the same, forget what I just posted.) That round end is unique so it is up to you to see if there is anything in the area of the cord's reach that could receive such a connector. One thing to note, the end looks to be a water-tight connector, made for exposure to weather. If nothing there, I'd say just forget it all or remove it.

BTW, post the heater model, it will help.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:57 AM   #5

Just a thought about the cord by the water heater. Clearly, the PO wanted the cord to remain where it is because of the insulation/spacer between the cord and the burner vents. Possibly it could be a connection to a heated wrap for an external water hose. Maybe the PO ran the cord outside the WH bay and plugged a heated wrap into the round socket. A lot would depend on how close the WH is to the outside fill connection. As always, just a guess.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:54 AM   #6

Thanks---these are all great points!

Heater model is Atwood G6A-8E (which I should have posted in first post, sorry).

Both black wires look like the same exact type. I have a feeling that PO for some reason wanted to power the HWH from a circuit not in the motorhome. Perhaps the motorhome circuit went south, or something like that.

I will test the wires for voltage. The circular yellow one is just an extension cord that runs outside the coach through an access hole
Old 09-20-2020, 07:29 AM   #7

Oddly enough, the G6A-8E corresponds to electronic ignition (propane only) and not "combination gas/electric". I'm curious if the power cord is some kind of modification (scary), or if it is at all involved with the HWH at all.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks---these are all great points!

Heater model is Atwood G6A-8E (which I should have posted in first post, sorry).

Both black wires look like the same exact type. I have a feeling that PO for some reason wanted to power the HWH from a circuit not in the motorhome. Perhaps the motorhome circuit went south, or something like that.

I will test the wires for voltage. The circular yellow one is just an extension cord that runs outside the coach through an access hole
Quote:
Oddly enough, the G6A-8E corresponds to electronic ignition (propane only) and not "combination gas/electric". I'm curious if the power cord is some kind of modification (scary), or if it is at all involved with the HWH at all.
Given this last information, it's anyone's guess what those cords are all about. The yellow cord is clearly to access an outside 110vac source. The black cord looks to be placed so it can connect directly to the yellow cord. Again, were back to the round connector end. Where was it intended to connect?

My guess is that these cords are not related to the operation of the HWH at all. I think if this was my mystery, I'd simply remove them as there is certainly no factory designed function for them in that location.

Where on your RV is the HWH bay located? The location may give a clue if the cords were designed to power something close to the RV, in the are of the HWH hatch. Is it on the passenger side, anywhere close to where outside activity would be? That round connector almost looks like it could plug into some type of lighting.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:01 PM   #9

Iím pretty sure the black electrical cords are part of a Hot Rod set up a previous owner installed to save on propane. They installed and removed the rod element when needed. If you get a peek at the back of the WH youíll see the black cords terminate at the systems thermostat. Here is a picture of the complete system...right down to the short piece of split loom. If I were you Iíd look around for the rod heating element theyíre not cheap. The yellow cord is just the way they chose to power it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	46DE68C4-C9DB-4A6C-9C09-D497A84897D4.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	301678  
JaminSamin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:08 PM   #10

PETCOCK is a drain valve.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaminSamin View Post
Iím pretty sure the black electrical cords are part of a Hot Rod set up a previous owner installed to save on propane. They installed and removed the rod element when needed. If you get a peek at the back of the WH youíll see the black cords terminate at the systems thermostat. Here is a picture of the complete system...right down to the short piece of split loom. If I were you Iíd look around for the rod heating element theyíre not cheap. The yellow cord is just the way they chose to power it.
Good call, my guess is youíre 100% right! That picture lays it all out and explains everything.

Never heard of that set up, but Iíve always had gas/electric models. That is a clever way to add electric heating to a gas only WH. Guess the PO removed the rod and replaced it with a remote drain.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:54 PM   #12

Wow this is great. Thanks for the information everyone! I hope that I can find the heater rod, perhaps it is somewhere in the coach or in a storage area.

That's about it for strange parts so far. I'll probably start another thread with some more pictures of random parts / pieces as I find them!
Old 10-04-2020, 08:34 PM   #13

The black plug looks like block heater. The yellow plug could be from generator to plug in.
Scsdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaminSamin View Post
I’m pretty sure the black electrical cords are part of a Hot Rod set up a previous owner installed to save on propane. They installed and removed the rod element when needed. If you get a peek at the back of the WH you’ll see the black cords terminate at the systems thermostat. Here is a picture of the complete system...right down to the short piece of split loom. If I were you I’d look around for the rod heating element they’re not cheap. The yellow cord is just the way they chose to power it.
Yes ....
Hott Rod Kit ---element installs in the drain hole, thermostat is attached to tank wall
Round 2 pin plug went on end of element
Standard 3 prong plug (hot, neutral, ground) plugged into Yellow extension cord
But previous owners probably got rid of element....burned out, didn't like it whatever and installed that flex drain hose with valve cause location of drain plug was PITA to remove/install

Engine valve is on coolant line.....dash heater?

Pet Cock ....drain for radiator
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems