Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2021, 05:26 PM   #1

HELP! needed on 2002 Freightliner chassis under Winnie Journey DL

Left on a trip today and immediately heard an air leak. There is an accumulator tank in front of the genset (pics attached) that has an air inlet w gauge and an air valve (to add air?). It then goes the a small manifold (pic) then a line runs off that manifold to a blue manifold above it. This small tank has rusted through from the inside out as there is no drain for condensate (smart) and this is where the leak is, a hole rusted through the bottom

I have the complete FLiner manual for this unit and the CAT manual and neither one addresses this air system. It APPEARS to feed air pressure up under the dash. I thought it was for the step cover but that functions with the air pressure shut down.

I very much need to know exactly what this system powers with the air pressure it contains and what exactly this accumulator is so that I can order a new tank and replace it. If anyone can help, I would be very grateful. Please private msg me if necessary as I need to get a handle on this ASAP. I have put a rubber grommeted screw coated with epoxy through the hole to hold air but have no idea how many hours this will last.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210421_172827.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	325880   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210421_172714 (1).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	325881  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210421_172721 (2).jpg
Views:	47
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	325882  
medarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2021, 06:02 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can only offer a temporary solution to get you home. Thoroughly clean and wire brush the area around the leak. Get a self tapping sheet metal screw in the hole then JB Weld over the screw

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
I can only offer a temporary solution to get you home. Thoroughly clean and wire brush the area around the leak. Get a self tapping sheet metal screw in the hole then JB Weld over the screw

That is EXACTLY what I did. Used a rubber grommeted roofing screw lathered in JB epoxy. Holding air so far. Need to order the replacement part though and have no idea what it is/for.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by medarwin View Post
That is EXACTLY what I did. Used a rubber grommeted roofing screw lathered in JB epoxy. Holding air so far. Need to order the replacement part though and have no idea what it is/for.
I would call the freightliner help line. Back when I called about 6 months ago mid covid, the representatives were working from home. I got his email and I emailed him a picture of a leaking low pressure alarm switch near the rear axle, he was able to ID the part and the part number and even located the part at a dealer since they did not have it in their inventory.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:22 AM   #5

Medarwin - that tank is for the air horns, Winnebago #077497-09-000. Not sure if Winnebago still has them, they did away with that extra tank around 2003. The manifold is routing air “to” the air horn tank and step well cover solenoid (blue device). The hose going under the dash continues up the A pillar to the horns.

If you want to remove the tank for repair/replace I would disconnect the air line between the manifold and the tank at the manifold and plug the manifold I think it’s a 3/8 x18 plug, then you can safely drive until resolved. Your electric horns should still work. Good luck.
JaminSamin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:26 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
That is EXACTLY what I did .
Great minds do think alike 🥳

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:18 AM   #7

The Winnebago # provided in my previous post was for the complete assembly, the tank by itself is #077497-01-703.
Old 04-23-2021, 05:49 AM   #8

Thanks for the part number. My mistake was looking for an FLiner number. Air horns are apparently Hadley. Around $60 on Amazon. Thanks for the replies!
Old 04-23-2021, 10:46 AM   #9

You shouldn’t have much trouble finding a suitable replacement for that rusted out tank, it’s really nothing special.

You said you thought it rusted from the inside out and a drain cock would have been nice. My first thought was why is that much moisture getting into that tank in the first place. When was the last time the air dryer was serviced, are you pulling the lanyards behind the right front tire to expel moisture from the main tanks?
Old 04-26-2021, 01:49 PM   #10

JaminSamin, the problem is that the moist air condenses in all tanks, draining the accumulated water out of the tanks that drain doesn't help the condensate trapped in the drainless tank. Thinking of drilling the new one and tapping it for a simple drain by removing the bolt.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:46 PM   #11

Quote:
JaminSamin, the problem is that the moist air condenses in all tanks, draining the accumulated water out of the tanks that drain doesn't help the condensate trapped in the drainless tank. Thinking of drilling the new one and tapping it for a simple drain by removing the bolt.
You know...if I had to replace that tank on my Horizon I might be tempted to attach the electric solenoid directly to the air manifold to see if the horns work without the small tank. I mean, Winnebago did away with it and the horns still work. Might save you some hassle.

Anyway let us know how it turns out, lots of Winnebagos with that tank.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:27 PM   #12

What’s the Schraeder valve for? Towing to fill up airbags?
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
What’s the Schraeder valve for? Towing to fill up airbags?
Yes

Rather that lock out the rear spring brakes you can air up the system for towing. Its easier IMO to lock out the brakes with the provided bolt on the spring brakes. You can also use it to air up the system. it will fill it just as if the motor were running and it will purge when it hits its pressure limit.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:50 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You need to check you air dryers. They should be changed every few years. Rust is one concern, but the biggest concern with moisture is brakes freezing up in cold weather.

If you have good dryers you should not have any water or water vapor when you pull those lines.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, journey