RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2021, 02:24 PM   #1

Hoping to use AUX tow connector for brake system monitor

I'm in the process of installing an Invisibrake system in my toad and am hoping that I can use the coiled connector to carry the monitor signal up to the dash of the RV.

The center (Aux) terminal on the 7-pin connector seems ideal to carry the signal but I wonder if Freightliner/Tiffin has it going anywhere. Ideally there'd be a connection in the dash where I could hook up to so connecting/disconnecting would be simple. Is anyone familiar with how it's used/not used? I'd rather not run another wire up to the dash if one is already there and usable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-pin connector.png
Views:	6
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	317511  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2021, 03:35 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
jeskibuff-

Use the trailer electric brake controller pin and wire instead. Many of us have done so. That wire should appear on a Freightliner connector under the dash. If no one has modified the trailer electric brake controller wiring, that is.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:57 PM   #3

I think the center pin is for back up lights. I disconnected it and ran the invisibrake signal to that pin on the car end. I then ran a wire to the front from the center pin on the rear. Has worked for two years.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:55 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. I'm having trouble finding a wire labelled with anything that resembles something coming from the tow connector. I've got the dash panel off (not the gauge cluster but the panel with the radio/GPS, rocker switches, etc.). I may have to call Freightliner or Tiffin to help locate the connector with the wire unless someone here has more specific info (like, is it behind the gauge cluster?)
Old 02-21-2021, 11:15 AM   #5

I would look around the trailer break connection by the foot petals that's where a controller would hook up
Old 02-21-2021, 11:30 AM   #6

Try searching for, installing a brake controller in your rig. Most controllers have adapters to hook into a plug somewhere under your dash. Etrailer has lots of videos on this stuff.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:41 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
jeskibuf-

Here is a link to a Google search of iRV2 posts with the terms "Freightliner" and "brake controller" in them.

Here is a link to the same search, but only on the Freightliner forum.

Here is a link to the same search, but only on the Tiffin forum.

Some of the search results will contain pictures of the under-dash area

See this post, too. It's from the owner of a 2019 Phaeton.

You can buy an adapter harness or "pigtail" and eliminate splicing into the coach brake controller wiring. Keeping the factory wiring intact is usually the better option than not doing so.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...ha/3027-P.html

I note that etrailer says this adapter works for:

2004 - 2015 Freightliner SL Series with factory Tow Package
2004 - 2015 Freightliner XC-Series with factory Tow Package

Or, this one from eBay:

eBay- Freightliner XCM RV trailer brake harness

I just know about these adapters; you should confirm for yourself that they are correct for your application.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:47 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Your trailer brake controller wires should be in a small bundle of 3-4 wires, probably rolled up and tied to the bundle under the dash next to the steering column. You should have a black, red, blue and maybe white wire. The blue wire is the one to the controller pin in the connector on the rear. I used mine to run an LED line to a pressure switch in the Jeep's air line.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:19 AM   #9

I used the blue (brake controller) wire to send the "TOAD brake applied" signal up to the brake controller receptacle under the dash of my MH53J motorhome. "TOAD BRAKE APPLIED" is generated by the brake light switch of the TOAD, which I picked off at a fusebox in my 2016 F150 Toad.

I procured a mating brake controller plug on EBAY and ran the blue wire to a current-limiting resistor, then connected that to an LED anode. Connect the LED cathode to ground. The LED was mounted on a blank switch insert on the motorhome dash. So when using the TOAD, plug in this custom wired plug to the standard brake controller receptacle. If I want to pull a trailer with brakes, just unplug it and plug up a brake controller, since the wiring to the 7 way is not modified.

The LED works fine. Only problem ive had is when I accidentally hit the brake pedal height adjustment button on the Toad one day, then forgot about it. This changes the slack in the cable that pulls the brake pedal on my system. A few days later with the Toad hooked up, the brakes were not applying as fast, I went back and checked the cable slack and moved the brake pedal height back up a bit. Problem solved.
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor, tow, brake