Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Houston Freightliner Service Center

I left my 2008 Winnebago at the Houston Freightliner Service Center for an M2 and some other items I wanted taken care of. Additionally there was a problem with the dash air.

On my trip out, somewhere around the Panhandle of Florida it started blowing air at about 65 degrees. I called Winnebago and found that there was a Camping World in Savannah that provided warranty work. The technician found the freon 2 lbs low. He stated that if it did this again that there was a slow leak. Well, about Branson, MO it started again. Now I put a thermometer in the vent after the first repair and it would blow 48-50 degrees - which is adequate enough that we did not have to run the basement air. But, it started blowing about 60 degrees so we did run the basement air.

The Winnebago dealer in my area does not have the equipment for a leak check, so they stated to me to have Houston Freightliner contact them and they would authorized the repair. It seems Winnebago is responsible for everthing "after" the compressor, and Freighliner for the compressor.

Houston Freightliner worked on, and "fixed," (I say "fixed" because I have not given it a good trip yet, but will over Labor Day) the AC. They found an O-ring not seated properly. My short ride back to storage was not enough to really check the system out.

However, back to Houston Freightliner: When I picked up the MH I was presented the bill and it included repair of the AC. After much discussion and many phone calls, Winnebago finally decided to pay for the AC under warranty.

If it had not been for the support people in the office of Houston Freighliner, I may have ended up pay the $800+ for all the trouble shooting and repair. They had to evacuate the system twice, and that takes time. Plus the leak detection, etc. So the price was fair, just that it was not mine to pay. I had my M1 done at Houston Freightliner, and now my M2. If I don't get the M3 done at Gafney, I'll definitely take it back to Houston Freightliner.

As a question, what does your dash air put out temperature wise without the house air running?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am still statisfied with the service at Freightliner, but the dash air is not fixed as far as I am concerned.

On our trip of 350+ miles the dash air started out okay, but then started blowing 60-65 degree air, running in MAX AC position. Since MAX AC is a re-circulatory process, runnint the basement AC will lower the temperature to 50 degrees from the dash after about 20-30 minutes. Then I turn the basement AC off and eventually the dash ac will run up to 60-65 degrees output, and I'll repeat the process.

When I talked to Winnebago, the technician said that the dash AC was operating properly. I refused to argue, or tell him what I was thinking of his information, which was: "All automotive AC's will only put out a miximum difference of 15 to 20 degrees from the outside ambient temperature."

I really disagree with his statement, as I have never been in an auto, truck or other vehicle that the dash aC did not blow 45-50 degrees of cold air - at a continuous flow. Also, when my coach was charged correctly it blew continuos cold air at or below 50 degrees.

I am considering putting a curtain behind the driver/passenger seats to reduce the volumn that needs to be cool, even though the dash air, when working properly kept us comfortable.

I would appreciate any comments, answers, or suggestions on this subject, and have you moniotored the output of your dash AC, and can you tell me what temperature it blowes at with full AC settings?

Thanks.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Wayne, please keep us posted on your toughts of putting a curtain or something up behind your driver's and passengers seat...You may be onto something here for the entire motor-coach industry.. I really like the idea?
DocUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:05 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I had seen the idea of putting up a curtain behind the front seats on one of the forums earlier this year. After experiencing several weeks of 100 plus degree weather this past summer, we got some twin bed sheets, cord and 3M hooks and put up a temporary barrier to help reduce the area the dash A/C had to cool. It made a significant difference and can be put up or taken down very quickly. The configuration of your coach, cabinets, etc determines where you may want to mount things.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just for kicks Wayne, I went out and measured the outlet temp on each of the dash a/c outlets. Engine at idle for 5 minutes, a/c on recirclate, fan on high. 47-49 degrees. Brrrrrrrr!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jim,
Thanks. For all the traveling I have done I have never had an AC put out less that 50 degrees continuous once it was turned on for awhile.

Now, I do realize that even blowing 50 degrees that there will not be enough volume to cool a coach when the temperature beating down is 90+ degrees, but darn it, it should still blow 50 degrees. When it is hot, I'll run the basement air.

I like the idea of a bungee sort of cord across the isle. Sounds like a plan to me. Good tip.

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:53 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a link to what someone did with draps in their driving area.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:49 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for that link. The old saying of one picture is worth a thousand words is so true.

I'll start working on mine after knee surgery mending this coming week.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:25 PM   #9

WayneM -

Do you know or remember where the "O" ring was located that they replaced? My 2004 Meridian seems to have a slow leak back behind the driver's side rear duals. I can see an oily residue at one of the hose connections at the condenser (I think condenser is the right part, keep getting condenser and evaporator mixed up). When Forest City checked the dash air while doing some other repairs they said it was an "O" ring but my Good Sam
Extended Warranty would not cover it so they didn't fix the problem. Later I called GS and asked why it wasn't covered and they said an "O" ring was covered but not a leaking hose. So considering the cost to diagnose and repair the leak I've just been adding freon every couple of years for the time being.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wagonmaster2,
I'm sorry, but I did not ask where the "O" ring leak was. I should have since it may still not be fixed and would be under Freighliner warranty. I would rather not have to pay, but I would if it meant that it WAS fixed.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:21 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Wayne, have you gone back to Houston FL to see what they say? After all they did get paid to fix it the first time.

We have used the curtain behind the seats for 2 seasons now, what a differance, wonderful! We use an old floor to cieling curtain the DW had, and got a cheap bath tub shower curtain spring rod. It's so easy to adjust to width. We leave the curtain on it and just roll it up and stash it in the corner behind the couch in the slideout when not in use. We have never had to run the basement air again

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Steve,
Where did you get an 8 foot shower curtain rod?

No, I have not gone back to FL yet. I'm having Knee replacement on Tuesday, (Sep 15) and it is going to have to wait for a few weeks. I'll give them a call then and see what they say. Problem is that the compressor belongs to Freightliner for warranty, but the hoses, evaporators, condensers, etc., are Winnebago and there is a dispute between the two as to who covers what. Not Freightliners worry, but Winnebago does the Moonwalk a little in covering it. Since my 1 year warranty is up, I'm going to take it to someone close by, recommended, and have the look at it under my extended warranty service.

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:47 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
I don't know if our rod is 8' long. It runs between the 2 slide outs, maybe 4' wide. Try between the side cabinets over the front seats and let the curtain hang back over the back of the front seats. It's worth the effort.

Your FL dealer claimed to have fixed your problem and got paid $800 for it, I think they owe you a second effort. Try it !

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:41 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
I do not know what the temp is of the air coming out of my dash vents but I do know that this summer in Nevada with the outside temp above 95 we were quite comfortable just using the dash air. I also noted that the temp inside the coach one-third of the way back (where the temp sensor is located) stayed below 80.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote