Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2018, 10:22 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
How many Height Control Valves on the rear axle?

Everything I've read online, as well as the DTNA Connect air system diagrams, shows two height control valves on the rear axle of my Freightliner XC chassis.

However, there is absolutely, unequivocally, and exactly ONE rear valve on my chassis. It's on the passenger side just forward of the shock and supplies air to a T-fitting which then splits to each rear airbag. The other side has holes drilled in the frame to accept a height control valve, but there isn't a welded bracket (and clearly never was one) on the driver's side equalizing beam to hold a height control valve linkage.

Do you know if that's a normal configuration, or do I have an odd duck? If I have an odd duck, would it be beneficial to add a second valve? It certainly drives well and I haven't missed that second rear valve in the 14 months and 16,000 miles that we've owned it...

The front matches the diagrams with two control valves, one for each side.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2018, 10:30 AM   #2

Seems the configuration changed from year to year.

I have two for the front and a single at the rear, and that's what my Freightliner supplied diagram shows.

Contact Freightliner's free help line with your chassis serial number , and ask for an air system diagram , that's the only way to get the info that is specific for your chassis.

1-800-FTL-HELP
Old 05-30-2018, 10:55 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Contact Freightliner's free help line with your chassis serial number , and ask for an air system diagram , that's the only way to get the info that is specific for your chassis.
Thank you, Skip! I feel much less alone in this wide world of chassis configuration. :-D

I'm registered on DTNAConnect.com, which I think gives me the most current and accurate information for my chassis serial number. I believe it's the same resource that Freightliner uses when you call them, but I'll give the help like a shout and confirm that.

If you're not already registered for DTNAConnect, I highly recommend it - great information at your fingertips! You just need to make sure your chassis is registered in your name in the Freightliner database, then request access from your local service center.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:57 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've got a vintage XC chassis and it has TWO on the front and ONE on the rear. I've not ever seen anything different for those in our vintage.
DKStall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:07 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Perfect! Thank you, DKStall.

It sounds like it's just as it's meant to be and not an odd duck, at all. My concerns are no more!
Old 05-31-2018, 10:51 AM   #6

Well Gang,
Ours is an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT and, it has the Freightliner XC "Evolution" chassis. And it has TWO IN THE REAR and ONE in the front.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Gang,
Ours is an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT and, it has the Freightliner XC "Evolution" chassis. And it has TWO IN THE REAR and ONE in the front.
Scott
Scott, did you get an air system diagram from Freightliner showing your chassis being configured with two rear and a single up front. I do recall other posts on this issue , but haven't tracked them down yet.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:45 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
A quick follow up:

I spoke with both a Freightliner Service Center and the Freightliner Helpline yesterday. They both said that there really isn't a good rhyme or reason why some were configured one way and some another way.

In fact, the Service Center said that many of the air diagrams will show dual valves on both the front and rear axles, but one of the axles will almost always be a single valve - they just don't know which until they see the chassis in question.

So, it sounds like all of us have (ab)normal coaches with (ab)normal control valve setups. :-)
Old 05-31-2018, 12:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Scott, did you get an air system diagram from Freightliner showing your chassis being configured with two rear and a single up front. I do recall other posts on this issue , but haven't tracked them down yet.
Hey Skip,
Nope, I've not got the air diagrams for our specific coach. Before I posted, I went out and slithered under each corner and verified that what I was about to post was in fact, the truth. I've had my membership in the DTNA (used to be Access Freightliner) for quite some time now, and I think I've tried to look some of that up on there but, did not find what I was looking for. One of these days, I'll call the Freightliner Help line and ask for some air diagrams.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:09 PM   #10

Scott , it's been a number of years ( my Access Freightliner timed out from lack of use ) but when I went in for chassis wiring diagrams and schematics , I needed a second access code that the help line provided.

With my current issues with the air compressor ; I'm thinking it's time to renew.

Tags
valve