Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2021, 09:41 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
I do not disagree with what you are saying, 6 months seems a bit frequent.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2021, 08:55 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The reality.......some will drive their RV's 30K - 40K miles and never lube anything, maybe change the oil, yet never have an issue. The 6K miles and all the intervals set by the manufacturer are CYA recommendations. Change your oil and lube your chassis at reasonable intervals that fit your travel needs.

We do between 7K and 9K miles a year. I now wait until I hit 10K or 11K and do a service.
Various mileage recommendations differ greatly. My DD engine manual says to change the oil annually or 35,000 miles, which ever comes first.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 09:33 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Thanks for replying. I went back and looked at the maintenance schedule to find that most of the items in the list are every six months. I think if I did that I would be just maintaining the coach and not using it if I followed the schedule to the letter. When I did the coach this year, many of the components with boots were still well packed with grease. I am going to stick with my annual maintenance since it takes me so long to do everything per the manual by the time I drive it up on ramps, block it, etc.

From pages 00/2 through 00/6 of the white page section of the Operators, Maintenance Manual; after the initial 6 months Mx Schedule almost everything falls into a 15,000/12 month or 30,000/24 month interval. One exception is the Coalescent Filter which is every 45,000/36 months.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
From pages 00/2 through 00/6 of the white page section of the Operators, Maintenance Manual; after the initial 6 months Mx Schedule almost everything falls into a 15,000/12 month or 30,000/24 month interval. One exception is the Coalescent Filter which is every 45,000/36 months.

You're right, I misread the manual. I think I better start drinking more
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 05:40 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Being from the aviation world I do fluid analysis yearly. I have not changed my engine oil for 5 years 15K miles because the analysis report says that the fluid is near new spec.

Transmission fluid (Transyd) is still fine after 7 years. I do change the filters ever 4 years per Allison recommendation.

Grease is harder to have analyzed so I do the driveshaft every year and the chassis every two years.
Old 12-15-2021, 11:05 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Who do you use for the oil and transmission fluid analysis? I used Blackstone for my aircraft engine.
Old 12-16-2021, 12:21 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessenab View Post
Being from the aviation world I do fluid analysis yearly. I have not changed my engine oil for 5 years 15K miles because the analysis report says that the fluid is near new spec.

Transmission fluid (Transyd) is still fine after 7 years. I do change the filters ever 4 years per Allison recommendation.

Grease is harder to have analyzed so I do the driveshaft every year and the chassis every two years.
Ditto on the aviation background:

- I change the engine oil and filter annually, because that's what the manual says to do.

- I send a trans fluid sample every year to JG Labs in Houston. The owner is a retired chemical engineer from Allison who helped develop Transynd. In fact I talked to him Tues...he's a hands on owner. Transynd is good for life as long as it tests good. There is a separate test for the filters.

- The chassis and drive shaft gets lubed annually.
Old 12-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The reality.......some will drive their RV's 30K - 40K miles and never lube anything, maybe change the oil, yet never have an issue. The 6K miles and all the intervals set by the manufacturer are CYA recommendations. Change your oil and lube your chassis at reasonable intervals that fit your travel needs.

We do between 7K and 9K miles a year. I now wait until I hit 10K or 11K and do a service.
Bingo! The highlighted sentence above is the key in so many maintenance
interval questions. It's my opinion that 90+% of the key to assuring longevity for a mechanical device is to just do regular maintenance. You can over do it, and under do it, but the main benefit comes from simply doing it.

I lube when I do an oil change, especially the drive shaft and U-joints. Heck, they're almost within arms reach when I'm under there doing the oil so why not take a grease gun under there and give some squirts in the zerks while the oil is draining? For the front end, it's about 15 minutes to climb under there and get those too. When I had a driveway, I'd also take the time to roll around underneath with my creeper to do a visual inspection with a flashlight. I'm already under there so what's a few extra minutes?
astrnmrtom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 10:06 PM   #23

grease

now to make matters worse---------
my recent understanding
moly grease for rubbing surfaces.

ep grease for rolling parts.
seems i read long time ago ,, do not use moly on slack adjusters.
running in to the word "bearing slip" as rollers not rolling in the outer race only sliding around ? when useing moly. and will stop auto adjusters from adjusting?

And i always thought a grease gun had grease in it, well maybe.
Good luck
Old 12-23-2021, 10:52 PM   #24

Here's an interesting read on moly and EP grease which seems to say they can be and usually are one and the same.

https://bestengineoilintheworld.com/...best-used-for/

I've also heard from an engineer once that you should not mix lithium and moly greases as it forms some kind of acid. But then I see lithium grease with moly. It can get pretty confusing. I think I'll stick with a NGLI #2 lithium thickened grease with moly for everything and I'll probably be OK
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 10:22 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Who do you use for the oil and transmission fluid analysis? I used Blackstone for my aircraft engine.

I would definitely use JG Lubricant Services especially since Tom Johnson, the owner, developed the specification for Transynd.

https://jglubricantservices.com/home.html
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 07:03 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I would definitely use JG Lubricant Services especially since Tom Johnson, the owner, developed the specification for Transynd.

Ditto, see post #21, Tom is to whom I spoke.
Old 12-25-2021, 05:56 AM   #27

Quote:

I have used JGL for MH and boat oil and coolant analysis and very happy withthe question. All of my tests / vehicles reports are in one location and you can view trends over time.
I believe he offers a discount to iRV2 members but don't recall the specifics... guessing there is a code.
A search or call/email should answer thevquestion.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:07 PM   #28

7k mile annually. Do oil & filters, fuel and fuel/water separator, chassis lube annually.

Tags
chassis