Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I Am Impressed with Freightliner

This summer I purchased my first DP coach on a Freightliner Chassis. I am green as grass when it comes to a diesel power as all my previous coaches were gasoline. I attended the FMCA Rally at Madison this summer and attended the Freightliner Seminar and learned much needed info. I have called the 24/7 Help line and have talked to some very well versed and caring folks who were always able to answer my questions.

In the past couple of weeks I found I had a Hydraulic leak on the pump that drives the power steering and side radiator cooling fan. The selling dealer said they had it fixed. The pump had not failed but the leak was due to a crack in the cap of the pressure regulator. After a lot of research I found the regulator assembly was not available in the U.S. separate from the pump. I am planning on attending the iRV2 National Rally in Urbana and I was running out of time getting the leak repaired. After another call to Freightliner I found they had a pump in stock and would promptly send one to me via Fed-X next day delivery. I received the pump as timely as Freightliner said it would be. I was able to get an appointment at a local diesel shop to get the pump changed on Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning. Now I can quit chewing my finger nails as it appears I can get on the road to Urbana.

In closing I just want to compliment Freightliner on their commitment to the owners of Freightliner Chassis. In my opinion they are doing it right in supporting their customer base.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That's been my experience with them as well.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:02 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In as much as my pump failed as well,to the tune of many hundreds of dollars in repairs my thoughts being, are we being stuck with inferior parts, or poor engineering???? I do applaud their parts delivery and I appreciate the customer service response when I call Gaffney, I just deplore the lack of initial quality, or am I just being a major PITA???

Don
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been very happy with their customer service,especially when you call the help-line.Of course taking a Camp Freightliner seminar from Mikey was awesome.
I have had my '01 Tradewinds for over a year now and even tho there have been several things go wrong with it,most of the items are age related.There have been three items that were caused by poor workmanship when the previous owner had work done on the coach like:1)Air compressor replaced incorrectly two months before I got it and the bracket for the pump was installed wrong and the whole thing had to be replaced. 2)the hydraulic reservoir and pressure lines for the jacks were brand new 8 months before I got it and I almost lost the reservoir last trip out as the bolts were in wrong and they loosened up.I had my guy look at it and he replaced the nuts.3) Had to have the little pass thru fuel line on the gennie case replaced and decided to have it serviced at the same time..ooppss,the mechanic says "this thing has the original installed filters,etc" According to the info that I found in the coach,it had been serviced twice at the same place at 400 hrs and 900 hrs.No way...
I also work at a school district where we drive almost all Thomas school busses and they are awesome.We do have a couple of Blubirds in the fleet,but they are really old and are Freightliner chasis.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have to agree with the positive feedback. This is our 2nd RV and our first DP on Freightliner. I can't believe the world of difference it is knowing that there is help out there in case of a problem. We had our previous coach for 9 years and it was difficult trying to figure everything out ourselves. For the previous coach, the chassis manufacturer (Ford) didn't know anything about the RV (and didn't care), the manufacturer wasn't involved much, there were no wiring/plumbing records for anything and to top things off, the previous owner decided that it would be fun if he rewired everything.

I'm sure the new coach is not perfect, but at least I'm being shown that I'm appreciated. Now if only the service centres realized that $100+/hr is not a reasonable rate.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #6

we have a 2004 winnibego 36g meridian with a 7.2 cat. we have a problem with rocking and rolling entering some driveways if ther is a dip in the pavement. Has anyone tried check valves in air line or ???
Richard and Ruth Creston bc canada
richard ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I installed motion control units sold by Hendersons RV in Grants Pass. I believe they do help reduce the "walmart wobble". These were a relatively easy installation.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We purchased our 04 Vectra about 4 months ago, and we are also as green as grass, but we love,love,love it, I can turn it around practically in its length, Freightliner Evolution Chasis great design as far as I'm concerned! Glad to hear their support is good too, sure I'll be needing it someday!

Tags
freightliner