Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2007, 03:39 PM   #1

I am confused and hopefully someone here can help me understand the following:
I have been told by the Freightliner people that the reason I have to take my coach to a Freightliner dealer is he is the only one that has the computer software that can read all my information on my coach? The so called "proprietary software" as they called it is only available to dealers and no other service facilities. If that is true, then how can some owners on another forum say they can hook up to the output jack and read what is going on with various problems or how can truck stops service Freightliner trucks since they are not a dealer and don't have the "proprietary software". In the same context, if you or I had the available software or something that would read these codes, this would allow us to do some of the work ourselves or even take it to another none-Freightliner facility for one heck of a lot less money. What is so special about their software for reading codes? If hackers can break security codes or IPODS then why not Freightliners? I am not a slamming Freightliner as they have an excellent product but I paid for the chassis so I would think I should have the option to fix my own if I elect to but can't read codes. Any thoughts?
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2007, 03:39 PM   #2

I am confused and hopefully someone here can help me understand the following:
I have been told by the Freightliner people that the reason I have to take my coach to a Freightliner dealer is he is the only one that has the computer software that can read all my information on my coach? The so called "proprietary software" as they called it is only available to dealers and no other service facilities. If that is true, then how can some owners on another forum say they can hook up to the output jack and read what is going on with various problems or how can truck stops service Freightliner trucks since they are not a dealer and don't have the "proprietary software". In the same context, if you or I had the available software or something that would read these codes, this would allow us to do some of the work ourselves or even take it to another none-Freightliner facility for one heck of a lot less money. What is so special about their software for reading codes? If hackers can break security codes or IPODS then why not Freightliners? I am not a slamming Freightliner as they have an excellent product but I paid for the chassis so I would think I should have the option to fix my own if I elect to but can't read codes. Any thoughts?
Old 08-29-2007, 03:51 PM   #3

Not sure what you are talking about. Silverleaf will read CAT, CUMMINS, AND ALLISION codes. Most serive items do not need service codes but rather are mileage and/or time regulated. Each component makes and uses their own software not FTL. You can maintain it but you wll need to document all purchase of materials,when installed and that you met recommended and/or required schedules. Not really sure you want to reflash an electrical component if it is under warrenty. You need to be more specific with you complaint

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:08 PM   #4

Wallynm- Here is example of what I am trying to understand. My ABS light comes on intermittingly. Freightliner says I have to take it to a FD as he can plug in and tell exactly what the problem is and fix it. When I ask them if I could go elsewhere, I was told no as they do not have the Freightliner Software to read the code. Hope that sheds some light on my post.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:21 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
What they are telling you is not true .

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:16 PM   #6

Jestme13-So, if I understand this correctly, I should be able to take my coach to most any reputable diesel/chassis shop and they could hook into my computer port and diagnos the ABS problem on my Freightliner chassis...is this correct? Can you give me a few examples of the kind of places that can this kind of work even though they may not be my area? What I am looking for is a starting point.