Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2021, 06:42 AM   #1

I was shocked!

My air ride, I beam custom XC Freightliner chassis is 17 years old now. It only has 36,000 miles but I figured it was time to change the shocks. The Konis ordered will be here today so I climbed under to remove the old "tuned Sachs". Reading about the procedure others have warned to be careful because they are under pressure. Well, not these babies. They were dead as a door nail and could be pulled in and out by hand like an accordion.

So, I have adjusted the ride hight (easy peasy), changed all the ani sway bar bushings and today shocks all around. Can't wait to take her on the road to see the improvement .

I welcome suggestions on other suspension things that should be addressed. Next week we will depart for a 4 month cross country adventure.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2021, 06:53 AM   #2

I would also check the tie rod ends and kingpins/ball joints for play and make sure the rubber boots on them are in good shape. That and a little grease in every grease fitting. Don't forget any in the driveline. Good luck and safe travels.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vseasport View Post
My air ride, I beam custom XC Freightliner chassis is 17 years old now. It only has 36,000 miles but I figured it was time to change the shocks. The Konis ordered will be here today so I climbed under to remove the old "tuned Sachs". Reading about the procedure others have warned to be careful because they are under pressure. Well, not these babies. They were dead as a door nail and could be pulled in and out by hand like an accordion.

So, I have adjusted the ride hight (easy peasy), changed all the ani sway bar bushings and today shocks all around. Can't wait to take her on the road to see the improvement .

I welcome suggestions on other suspension things that should be addressed. Next week we will depart for a 4 month cross country adventure.
Well,
You say you have a "17 year old XC chassis" but, not what kind of coach, make/model etc. I just did a thread on replacing my air bags on our "17 year old, 2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. We presently have 97K miles on it. The front air bag was severely leaking so, I hopped on it and it was not very fun but, I got it done. Then, I found the other three had some leaks too. So, if your coach is "17" years old, if I were you, I'd get back under it with your trusty soap and water spray bottle and spray away, all around those air bags.

As for the "tuned Sachs" (I don't recall seeing the word "Tuned" when I open the DTNA Connect website and go to my particular build and look for the shock part numbers. And, while I was doing the air bag work, I too decided to check out our shocks. I yanked a rear one off and it's as stiff moving as a brand new one. It is not weak and worn out, by any stretch. The coach handles dips and bumps just fine. I get no sway and no wandering, no continual bounce after negotiating larger dips.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
You say you have a "17 year old XC chassis" but, not what kind of coach, make/model etc. I just did a thread on replacing my air bags on our "17 year old, 2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. We presently have 97K miles on it. The front air bag was severely leaking so, I hopped on it and it was not very fun but, I got it done. Then, I found the other three had some leaks too. So, if your coach is "17" years old, if I were you, I'd get back under it with your trusty soap and water spray bottle and spray away, all around those air bags.

As for the "tuned Sachs" (I don't recall seeing the word "Tuned" when I open the DTNA Connect website and go to my particular build and look for the shock part numbers. And, while I was doing the air bag work, I too decided to check out our shocks. I yanked a rear one off and it's as stiff moving as a brand new one. It is not weak and worn out, by any stretch. The coach handles dips and bumps just fine. I get no sway and no wandering, no continual bounce after negotiating larger dips.
Scott
Scott, My rig is an 04 38' Phaeton with CAT 3126 330HP. The air bags appear to be in very good shape with no cracks and don't leak air. It lived in Montana until 2 years ago when we purchased it. All the rubber underneath looks good so maybe that climate is easier on things. That said my airbags are Firestone and I question if that was OEM. The service records seem complete but if they were changed there is no receipt. There was record of changing the right front and rear wheel seal and last year I had to change the left front. There is an age factor but with just 36,000 miles I thought that was odd.

The Tiffin information states "Tuned shocks". I noted it in my post because it cracked me up. Anyhow I changed the front and the old ones were shot. Today I will tackle the rear. I don't know the condition of the old rear yet but replacement Koni are sitting here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	324914  
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote