Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2015, 08:13 PM   #1

Jacking/Lifting Points

I am looking thru the Freightliner Recreational Vehicle Chassis (FRVC) Operator's and Maintenance Manuals to find the lifting points on my chassis. The only thing I can find, in the books are , "Note: The jacking point for the front and rear wheels is direcly under the axle."

The reason I am looking is in case I have a flat/blow-out on the road and a tire repair guy has to come out and fix it. I want to be sure he is lifting in the correct place.

History:
We were leaving for Florida the next morning at 6:00 AM and I wanted to ensure the coach was in road ready shape. So the day before departure, I worked on the coach all day to ensure everything was ready and finally at 5:00 PM I take a brake. At 7:00 PM I crawled under the coach to spray the leveling jack rams and wipe them off when I glanced to the rear and saw one of my inside tires flat.

Needless to say I had to call an on call tire repair guy to come out to fix the tire. He found the valve stem leaking. So I had him check the rest of the tires. You guessed it all the 6 tires valve stems were leaking. He had to remove/replace 6 valve stems.

I soon found out that the front and rear of the chassis only has about 4-6 inches of space between the ground and the axle. There was no way the tire guy could get his hugh jack under the axle. Finally he was able to get it under something and raise it up enough to change the tire. I couldn't get under it to see where he was raising it from. That is why I want to know the lifting points.

The reason the valve stems were leaking is that we had the dealer, we bought the motorhome from, put new tires on it before we bought it, and he didn't change the valve stems. Real sorry dealer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2015, 08:43 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
when they changed my front tires...they put an air powered jack under the front axle near the wheel and up she went.
the rear, it takes a low profile air powered jack, and it will lift under the rear axle near the suspension arms
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:52 PM   #3

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:49 PM   #4

At least you found a problem before you left, we left an about 1hr to our destination the inside rear tire blew. 1000.00 dollars later and 5hrs on the side of the road an a nasty call to Good Sam's. And the to top it off they jacked up the motorhome from my rear jack and a truck went by and blew it of the jack bending my jack an now I can't used any jacks while on VACATION. I'm waiting for a call from the safety director for that company to call. Good luck to all that have Good year tires
Mach11961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach11961 View Post
At least you found a problem before you left, we left an about 1hr to our destination the inside rear tire blew. 1000.00 dollars later and 5hrs on the side of the road an a nasty call to Good Sam's. And the to top it off they jacked up the motorhome from my rear jack and a truck went by and blew it of the jack bending my jack an now I can't used any jacks while on VACATION. I'm waiting for a call from the safety director for that company to call. Good luck to all that have Good year tires
How does a truck blow it off the jack, it actually moved the MH that much - not blocked down?
Old 07-20-2015, 07:13 AM   #6

Yep a truck blew it off the jack, I had to call the State police, the laws says to get over for flashing lights on the side of the road. The officers said they don't get over for them the speed limit is 70 and traffic was flying at 80+. The motorhome will move with the force of a truck or car that's passing you
Thanks
Mach11961 is offline   Reply With Quote