Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jacks down warning beeper

when i raise my jacks the beeper stays on . i get out and check and the jacks are up. the only way to get the warning signal to go off is to unplug the control panel i have a 1998 discovery 36t any ideas would be of great help thanks
dgrandusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
There are several jacks, leveling systems...If you have bigfoot levelers, each jack has a pin switch on the strut that the foot plate hits when it is fully retracted. This turns out the light for that leg and when all are up the alarm stops.

If you still show a light, that is the leg to check...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
As stated, you need to provide a little more information. What brand of jacks? Hydraulic or electric? On my 04 National on a Freightliner chassis, the hydraulic reservoir had a reed switch which caused the alarm to sound if the fluid level was low. On mine the switch went bad and needed to be replaced. If you have hydraulic jacks it could be you just need to add a little fluid.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
Commercial Member

on a discovery, its normally power gear jacks. check the fluid level. power gear uses the fluid level to control the jack down feature.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My best wishes for a solution. On our 2008 Winnebago Destination 39W with Kwikee hydraulic jacks the same thing is occurring. Has been for over 2 years now. I spent 10 days at the Winnebago Service Center and they could not find the problem. That is another very long story. Over the course of 2+ years I have had it in to the dealer's shop and it is scheduled to go back in next week sometime.

My problem. Put the jacks down and retract them immediately and all is fine. Leave them overnight and the alarm will stay on. Sometimes it stayed on for 80 or so miles and one time only 5 miles. Drove DW up the windshield.

After communicating with Power Gear/Kwikee they suggested unplugging the 4 pin connector on the back of the control box. I'm not aware of what your specific control box is, but I finally went to Radio Shack and purchased a single throw single pole toggle switch. Drilled a hole next to the control panel and attached the switch to the red power line. Now when the alarm keeps beeping I just flip the switch. Crazy, but works.

Again, best wishes. Different strokes for different jacks. Model/make would help other to provide information on your specific system.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Might be a little late to post this reply, but I just ran across it and I might have one more thing for you to check. Make sure that you clean any accumulated dirt from around the piston seals. I had a problem similar to what you describe when I picked my my new (to me) Horizon. The warning light would come on intermittently or not go off when the jacks were raised. Fortunately, this happened during my check out with the dealer and I had a top notch mechanic taking me through the process. He said that if enough dirt collects to keep a piston from fully retracting the springs can't overcome it and the piston pin won't hit the micro switch. He crawled under the coach and five minutes later the problem was solved. I will keep this one stored away for future reference. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
warning buzzer HD jack

I just wish mine would make a sound. the buzz only works when it want to.
the light comes on but not buzz. depends upon what time of the month it is.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
def

Send a message via Yahoo to def
Depending on the brand (design), sometimes the jacks do not retract fully causing the warning. This can happen when it is cold or if as previously mentioned, there is too much friction of the pistons when the jacks are retracted and the pistons do not fully retract.

I spray the extended jack pistons, (those shiny metal cylinders that are exposed when the jacks are extended) with copious amounts of WD40. If that fails, a small floor jack will push the jacks up to the fully retracted position and cancel the warnings.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
rv jacks

the three actuator switches for the levelers had the contacts corroded off.they were replaced and the warning signal works fine now. thanks everyone for posting
dgrandusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:50 PM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
WD40 is a water displacement and penetrate. It can have an adverse affect on the rubber seals and grommets.

Some manufacturer's do not recommend using WD40 so check your manual(s).
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:28 PM   #11

Ours would do that. It was low on hydraulic fluid in th reservoir.
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks