Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2006, 07:47 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The LCD "Information Center" display on my motorhome is virtually useless to me while driving. It's so hard to read, that I have to be parked, on my knees under the steering wheel to read it. The manufacturer, Medallion Instruments, was offering a $75 upgrade through Freightliner that would convert the display to a white background, making it easier to read. That offer ended in August, and the upgrade now runs $200.

It bugs me that I must invest that kind of money just to utilize a product that was apparently flawed to begin with.

Anybody in here take advantage of that upgrade? Does anybody really use the display?

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2006, 07:47 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The LCD "Information Center" display on my motorhome is virtually useless to me while driving. It's so hard to read, that I have to be parked, on my knees under the steering wheel to read it. The manufacturer, Medallion Instruments, was offering a $75 upgrade through Freightliner that would convert the display to a white background, making it easier to read. That offer ended in August, and the upgrade now runs $200.

It bugs me that I must invest that kind of money just to utilize a product that was apparently flawed to begin with.

Anybody in here take advantage of that upgrade? Does anybody really use the display?

Old 12-08-2006, 08:40 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same problem with the display but found out about the upgrade in time to qualify for the $75 replacement. The upgrade is great and is clearly visible without making any special effort. And the information is quite useful. I use it all the time on the road. I probably would have paid $200 now that I see how useful it is.

Daniel C. Ellis
2005 Winnebago Journey 39F
dcellisesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:21 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dcellisesq:
The upgrade is great and is clearly visible without making any special effort. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Daniel. Do you by chance have any photos of it that you could post?

Old 12-09-2006, 05:05 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

My personal opinion is that it's not that useful. I'd rather put $200 towards a TripTek or SilverLeaf system. Granted, they cost more, but you do get some serious information back compared to the FL display. If you need to keep the price low I'd recommend the VMSpc by Silverleaf that runs on your laptop. If price is not an object I'd recommend the SilverLeaf VMS240CL, which I now have and am very happy with.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 05:19 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

My 04 American Tradition/Freightliner has a more or less white background but its still hard to read, pretty much impossible when driving. Location and lighting are as much a problem as background color. Fortunately I also have the Trip Tek system, which displays much of the same info through the excellent Sony color monitor in the dash. Still, there are things available on the FL Info Center that Trip Tek doesn't display, e.g. instantaneous mpg (instead of average), some of the pressure sensors, etc. A Silverleaf will provide all that stuff, I think, but I'm not interested enough to pay for it. I can get it off the Info Center if I'm really concerned, even if I have to pull off the road to read it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:50 AM   #7

I did the $75 upgrade and it is very visible now. I use it a lot. However, the new display is too bright at night and hampers your vision. I rarely drive at night, but when I do I throw a rag over the display.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:50 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This thread on the Winnebago forum has some good info, including pointers to John Canfield's pictures and description of the upgrade: Backlight for information center

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:31 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoeT:
I did the $75 upgrade and it is very visible now. I use it a lot. However, the new display is too bright at night and hampers your vision. I rarely drive at night, but when I do I throw a rag over the display. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The old display can't be read day or night, and the new display is too bright at night. You'd think they'd get it right with a $200 upgrade!

Old 12-11-2006, 07:39 AM   #10

I have the the old display but do not have a problem viewing it day or night. But it is mounted high on the left side of the dash.
There is also a contrast setting that has to be reset if the power/battery is disconnected. After the dealer showed this to me, I have never had a problem viewing it. But Like I said, it is mounted high on the dash so that I am actually looking directly into it and not at an angle.

I believe many coach builders did not take this into consideration when the display was placed into the dash location, therefore that is the real problem, the angle of viewing.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:52 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Ron, you're probably right. My display is mounted very low, which is why I have to get on my knees to read it.

Any tips on adjusting the contrast? The directions supplied by FL are not very good. I got the date/time set, but can't for the life of me figure out how to adjust the contrast!

Craig

Old 12-11-2006, 04:51 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

There is a manual for all of the settings. You can find it at the bottom of the page at This Link
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:37 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
FYI
Medallion is no longer handling the information center display problem. After they did their promotional of $75.00, they now have a company in Elizabeth NJ taking care of them named Ross Equipment. For anyone that needs one their number is 908-352-9721 COST NOW $199.50. Part number is 1539-10207-11 .

Although this is not 75$ it is cheaper then what Freightliner offered to sell me one for! They wanted $389.00, just a little mark-up!

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote