Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #1

Lost all gauges on the dash ....

Hello all, I have a 2016 DP on a freightliner chassis. On a quick trip from Houston all of my gauges died and then three seconds later came right back on again ??? Very strange. Anyone have a similar experience?
Robf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #2

A little more information. I Purchased this new about 2 1/2 years ago. I have 28,000 miles, I was cruising about 70 miles an hour down the highway was not touching any gauges or messing with anything when this happened.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:21 PM   #3

Did you happen to have cruise control on and have it kick off? Do you use a ScanGuage or any other device like that?
drivintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:49 PM   #4

I think i did have the cruise control on... no scanguage tho ...
Old 01-15-2019, 08:30 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Several have mentioned this issue here including me. For me it happened once. The cause seems to be a mystery.
But, I would suggest this;
Check that your engine might be due a software update. I had mine flashed and brought up to date. The second thing I do is,
when turning the key on, wait for not only the glowplug icon to go out (as usual).......but also wait for the check engine icon to go out as well.....then start the engine. This allows for all system self checks to complete, and seems to avoid another glitch commonly seen; the low voltage warning.
Since I've updated engine software, and adopted the habit described above I haven't had either glitch since. (Knock on wood)
Hope this helps.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:09 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
And many more over the years have reported either a bad ground or once of the interface calges connectors may be loose. Which really is what happens. Software will not do it. But the techs like to explain it anyway
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:24 AM   #7

Had the same thing happen to me while driving one day. I took the coach to my local Freightliner dealer to diagnose and fix the problem. Turned out to be a poor connection under the dash. Check there first. If you take it to Freightliner, they have a lengthy procedure to find an electrical problem and it isn’t cheap. I know.

Good luck on your quest.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:44 PM   #8

Happened 3 times to me. First time I had just pulled out of parking spot, idling while hooking up the tow.
Gauges went crazy - up / down / off / on. Backed back in to the spot and made appt with Freightliner AZ. Next day ran her in to town.Started and ran great of course. They checked everything - wiring loom from front to back. Could not find anything.
Next 2 times were on the road - nothing like running at 60 mph when cruise kicks out and motor shuts off - lasted a few seconds then came back thank goodness ! Pulled into next turnout - everything was acting normal again.
Someone here recommended going thru the electrical compartment under the driver, and making sure all the fuses and relays were plugged in tight. I did that - couldn't find any problems, but since then ( 3 Yrs ), no more issues.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:43 PM   #9

automatic circuit beaker resetting
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:43 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
hmmm. you are going to laugh..
check the wiring looms connectors under the dash. I found after i had similar events, took me years to track it down.

the two BIG wiring connectors were attached but the finger lock was not engaged. if i wiggled them while engine was running the gauges would flutter and other odd things. i then pushed them till the locks engaged and then wiggled them...no more problems.

fwiw...engine and drivetrain will run, without dash gauges or lights working.
it will kick off cruise to GET your attention on any fault, no matter the source.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:57 AM   #11

Excellent advice and replies ! I received a recall on the instrument bar so I am going to take it in next week. Freight liner said it is a software update that is involved in the recall. Also while in there I will have them check out the dash Wiring while under warranty. The loose connections make a lot of sense to me. So if nothing else I will have a record of the problem. I will report back with the findings.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:05 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine is a much older coach than yours. But I'm betting that the technology has not changed much. The problem that caused me to learn more about it than I ever wanted to know was my speedometer dropping out and coming back on intermittently.

On mine:
1. All of the gauge data is sent on a common buss. I can literally swap the plugs between my tach and speedo in the back of the gauges and both keep functioning normally. That is because each gauge is able to pick its data of of the common bus.

2. I got my wiring diagrams from Freightliner and carefully traced my speedo data to a loose connector between the transmission and the engine. At the ECM is where all of that data is combined. The engine was setting "missing speed data" errors for me, telling me that the problem was not in the common bus.
3. For yours, it COULD be in the common buss. While there could be issues in the display, if your speedo and tach went out too, I would start there. On the diagnostic port, the dealer should be able to verify that that the data is being sent. I bought the VMSpc package where I can link my laptop to that data port and see most of that same data. When my speedo dropped out and I had no speed data in the laptop, I knew that it wasn't a gauge problem, though many, including Freightliner tried to tell me that it was.

A Freightiner dealer worked on my problem several times without fixing it. When I finally fixed it myself, I knew that they didn't understand the architecture because they were in the wrong area. They wanted to keep charging me by the service call. It took two years (the problem was highly intermittent) before I did fix it myself.

Your mileage may vary.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
Mine is a much older coach than yours. But I'm betting that the technology has not changed much. The problem that caused me to learn more about it than I ever wanted to know was my speedometer dropping out and coming back on intermittently.

On mine:
1. All of the gauge data is sent on a common buss. I can literally swap the plugs between my tach and speedo in the back of the gauges and both keep functioning normally. That is because each gauge is able to pick its data of of the common bus.

2. I got my wiring diagrams from Freightliner and carefully traced my speedo data to a loose connector between the transmission and the engine. At the ECM is where all of that data is combined. The engine was setting "missing speed data" errors for me, telling me that the problem was not in the common bus.
3. For yours, it COULD be in the common buss. While there could be issues in the display, if your speedo and tach went out too, I would start there. On the diagnostic port, the dealer should be able to verify that that the data is being sent. I bought the VMSpc package where I can link my laptop to that data port and see most of that same data. When my speedo dropped out and I had no speed data in the laptop, I knew that it wasn't a gauge problem, though many, including Freightliner tried to tell me that it was.

A Freightiner dealer worked on my problem several times without fixing it. When I finally fixed it myself, I knew that they didn't understand the architecture because they were in the wrong area. They wanted to keep charging me by the service call. It took two years (the problem was highly intermittent) before I did fix it myself.

Your mileage may vary.
Just happened to me. All lights, gauges, indicators went dark or to zero. Engine and radio kept running!
When all came alive, it was just like I had started the vehicle...user checklist presented for clearing.
bobsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:47 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It happened to us three times during the last three days of our Alaska trip. Before we contact a Freightliner service center, we'll check all the connections and wires.

Good info here. Thanks.
Wanderl0st is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, gauges