Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2021, 07:35 PM   #15

Question for you boys,

So, based on what we've seen here in the last few posts to this thread, it is possible for the governor to not regulate the pressure to the given or set amount, correct? If that can happen, and, our basic air systems are normally topped off around 120 to 130 psi, then wouldn't safety pressure release valve, sitting on the side of the air dryer, take care of the excess pressure BEFORE that excess pressure damages any component of the air system?

Our system(s) as stated, are supposed to run at or around 120+ psi and, the pressure safety valve, if I recall, is rated at 150 psi. I don't know what any and all hoses and air lines are rated at but, I would definitely assume that pretty much ALL of them are rated for at least higher than 150 psi, correct?

So, if that might be the case, and the pressure safety valve IS the main safety of the system, then I would think that, in the cases where the the OP was having excessive pressure, as indicated on his gauges, that the safety valve on the compressor has also failed, correct? Or do I have all this all screwed up? Especially since the safety valve is rated for only 20 psi higher than our normal operating pressure.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2021, 08:29 PM   #16

Yes, the safety valve should control the pressure in a reasonably new or well maintained RV.

This is a 1999 RV.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:45 PM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
New update
All lines have been checked they all got to go. Using compressed air and compression tester I was able to pressurized them they all hold air

Next I went to the compressor the discharge line going to air dryer has very little pressure coming from compressor

I removed the Governor with it removed I have the same result very very little pressure

Now I believe I could have a stuck unloader valve in the compressor.

Any other thoughts?
Old 10-04-2021, 03:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djmckee View Post
New update
All lines have been checked they all got to go. Using compressed air and compression tester I was able to pressurized them they all hold air

Next I went to the compressor the discharge line going to air dryer has very little pressure coming from compressor

I removed the Governor with it removed I have the same result very very little pressure

Now I believe I could have a stuck unloader valve in the compressor.

Any other thoughts?
You might need a new compressor. If it's not building air, the compressor is probably shot.
tompands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 05:34 AM   #19

You may be able to remove the unloader valve to take a look.

Google the model of the compressor for a parts breakdown.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:03 AM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
I have determined that that compressor is bad not building the pressure needed. A friend remove the unloaded and compressor still would not build the pressure. I am currently trying to find one or a rebuild kit. The compressor is a 3558215RX Cummins has only one available for $1650

Next step is to replace the compressor then I still need to find the issue that caused the compressor to overwork
Old 10-05-2021, 05:11 PM   #21

I have found that the symptoms of a bad governor is excessive cycling of the compressor with pressure staying high. Example is 105 to 120 off and on continually
RonAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djmckee View Post
I have determined that that compressor is bad not building the pressure needed. A friend remove the unloaded and compressor still would not build the pressure. I am currently trying to find one or a rebuild kit. The compressor is a 3558215RX Cummins has only one available for $1650

Next step is to replace the compressor then I still need to find the issue that caused the compressor to overwork
That is probably a HOLSET from Cummins. If you look around and make some phone calls, I'm sure you could get one cheaper than $1650. That's a very high price. i just did a quick online search and found it for $1300. You could also do a Bendix compressor which would be a lot cheaper for you. You don't have to replace it with a HOLSET. A air compressor is just a air compressor.
tompands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:53 PM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Okay I found a rebuilt compressor in Missouri for $350 will be ordering tomorrow I will give a update when I get it changed.

Big thanks to everyone you guys helped me a lot. I knew nothing on the air brake system. I would still be lost without your help
Thanks again

Tags
air, brake, cat, holiday rambler, need help