RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2020, 05:12 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Need ignition diagram for XCR 2007 chassis.

Hi
I am hoping to find an ignition (starter/key) switch diagram showing which of the tabs are ACC, start and run.

Last time we pulled into a CG the backup camera and dash Air conditioner quit for an instant and came back in. This morning when we were preparing to go there was no power to the jacks, dash Air cond and backup monitor. We could not raise jacks at all and had to drain fluid to raise them.

All of the fuses measure good with a meter. The breakers that are obvious also seem fine. I checked what relays I could. Once or twice the systems flickered on for an instant. Since they all work on on the ACC power I want to check the acc power and see if there is 12v at the switch. If there is then I can more easily check from there.

Freightliner said that they have a new policy and they can not provide the information until we are verified as owners of this vehicle. I am working on that.

I was going to simply power the control for the the jacks from a 12v source temporarily but Lippert says there are no diagrams of the power gear 500629 control panel showing the connecting plug and power to the wrong wire will destroy the brain.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2020, 06:42 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't have the diagram you are looking for, but I had to change my ignition switch out, last year, after having problems with items not coming on (like the jacks) without turning the key back and forth, several times. You might be on the right track with solving this problem. I found the old switch had been taped all up and I don't believe that is how it came from the factory. Here are a couple of photos showing the taped up switch and the old / new switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tapped Switch.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	476.4 KB
ID:	301181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old and  New.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	466.1 KB
ID:	301182  

Old 09-16-2020, 07:33 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Interesting. Thanks. Mine was taped up too but lacked the plastic lower cover or socket. Mine just has spade lugs. Some of the lugs are in the center like yours and some are om the sides. It looks like you have the same chassis as we do. One or both of us probably have had it replaced at some point. Where did you get your replacement?

I figure that. if the ignition lock is good at lease then I have unified starting point and can follow the wires.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:01 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think I got it through Freightliner, but I'm not positive. Call Forest River with you VIN number and they might be able to help. I think the ignition lock was still working, but it just wasn't making good contact, all the time, inside the switch. I have had no problems with stuff not coming on since changing this out. Good luck...
Old 09-17-2020, 12:54 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Update. I have removed and disconnected it to test it and mine does look the same as yours. It is a Pollak 19161. Unfortunately it works. In case anyone else has need of it here is a labeled picture of where the connections go but that is also printed on the back so no real need. Now the testing and tracing of the wireing begins. I hate that stuff! One good thing is that the remains of Sally will be passing Hatteras island in a day or so and I will be stuck inside and can get some work done. Three items are all out of whack. All three work from the ignition spade on the ignition lock There must be a common feed, ground or inline fuse.

Freightliner has not gotten back to me with my permission to use their new system to get diagrams and schematics so no schematic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200917_131707a.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	396.6 KB
ID:	301339   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200917_143527.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	301340  

Old 09-17-2020, 01:02 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My old one worked, too, but it was intermittent. That's why I changed it out...
Old 09-18-2020, 07:11 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJOL View Post
My old one worked, too, but it was intermittent. That's why I changed it out...

I wish mine was but it is working perfectly. The next possibility is the row of relays that have nothing saying where they go. Have to go to the National forum and see what schematics I can find.

First though I need to check the grounds. Rule one is "its the ground". I will restart in the National section with relay question since someone there might know. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:04 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good luck with tracing grounds and relays... Hope you find the problem...
Old 09-22-2020, 07:47 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
In the end I wound up re-wiring those three things. I verified than no current was reaching them from the switch but that the switch was working. The camera and the jack controller draw very little current so I used a spade lug to an extra terminal of the switch and added a fuse and a wire to the camera's + wire which also backfeeds the jack controller. Once they were working I added the same setup for the AC controller. I determined that power to the fan switch would make everything function so I connected it. Now everything works as it should.

I have to add that I plan to install a relay for that AC fan feed. Since the wire from the ignition that fed everything was 10ga I assume that the switch has the ability to carry a fairly high current but a relay would feel safer. I also plan to cut the wire that originally fed these things to see if anything else is on the circuit. I don't like having multiple feeds like that. We are currently stuck on Hatteras island because the roads both North and South are washed out by continuing high winds and surf. I had called a pro to fix it but he can't get to the island now. Once the road to Buxton opens up I can get the relay.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:54 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad you got this sorted out.... Never any fun camping when something in the RV isn't working right. I literally spent months trying to fix the terrible job that the factory did on the pluming for our shower. They couldn't get the angles right, on the drain, so the cobbled a drain fitting together with a bunch of sealant. Needles to say, it leaked and probably had leaked for the previous owner, for years. It actually "softend" the plywood a little bit around the shower floor. I think I have finally got this straitened out and ended up using rubber joints, and an accordion "p" trap to make it fit.

Tags
2007, chassis, ignition