Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #1

I'm running a 2006 Horizon, on a fred Chasis, with a Cumm. 400 ISL. I was checking on-line to see if my scan tool could read engine codes. I would like to read the codes "IF" the check engine light comes on and I need to converse with a tech. about the problem.

I see that the connector is a different shape than the OBD 2, so I'm thinking it is a converter pig tail, or the Cumm. scan system is propriatery?

Can any one help me with this issue?

Thanks RAB

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #2

I'm running a 2006 Horizon, on a fred Chasis, with a Cumm. 400 ISL. I was checking on-line to see if my scan tool could read engine codes. I would like to read the codes "IF" the check engine light comes on and I need to converse with a tech. about the problem.

I see that the connector is a different shape than the OBD 2, so I'm thinking it is a converter pig tail, or the Cumm. scan system is propriatery?

Can any one help me with this issue?

Thanks RAB

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Old 02-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
As far as I know,the OBD II test tool is useless on diesel engines.Check with Freightliner and or Cummins. But in any case you would need software and a special cable to read the codes with your laptop computer.
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Diesels use the J1939 data buss, which is totally incompatible with OBD-II. Your best bet is to get the Silverleaf VMSPC software for a laptop and their breakout cable or go with the VMS240CL standalone unit. I use the VMS240 but if all you're looking for is error codes that's a bit pricey and I'd go with the PC version. The software will read out any error codes with a descriptive text.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:53 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The diagnostic plug is different on the Freightliner chassis. So is the messaging. The chassis runs CAN (Controller Area Network) and there are a whole set of protocols associated with it. CAN is used on a lot of heavy equipment, too.

For reading the error codes, I selected VMSpc. VMS actually makes entire dash sets for high end motor coaches (www.silverleaf.com) and publishes VMSpc to run on a laptop, simulating some of those same dash functions. It records all error codes generated and provides a limited English description of those errors. In additional, it also can provide a visual display of every piece of information that the chassis produces. I use the turbo boost, intake manifold temperature and engine load.

You can go to the Silver Leaf website and download a copy of the code. To get it to work on your chassis, you need some propriety wiring and data translation to the tune of about $360. It might sound a bit pricey but mine has paid for itself several times over in repair bill avoidance.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:21 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm running a 2006 Horizon, on a fred Chasis, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll apologise in advance for nit-pickin', but yours is definitely not a "fred' chassis and you may get incorrect data or feedback if you inquire about info or parts for a "fred". Fred stands for "FRont End Diesel" and refers to a specific Freightliner chassis product with a front mounted Cummins ISB engine.

A Silverleaf would be a great addition to your rig - check it out. An alternative is the Cummins Road Relay system, which provides similar info. I have a system called Triptek on my ISL and it combines trip computer and basic diagnostic readouts and dislays them on the dashboard monitor.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:05 PM   #7

Thanks to all who replyed to my question. I have absorbed all the info. and will look into the silver leaf system.

RAB

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Old 03-01-2008, 08:09 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just fyi, your Horizon actually has a Freightliner Evolution chassis, which is a formed rail variant of the XC, developed jointly by Freightliner and Winnebago.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote