Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2019, 01:05 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oil coming through radiator?

I have about 4 thousand miles on my new to me tropical t370 Cat 350hp C7.

before heading to AZ, and towing a toad for the first time, I changed the oil and remarked the dipstick, as recommended with 17 and than 19 qts.

In the past I had oil come out the fill tube, as the cap had come off, not put on correctly. all cleaned up and ready to go.

Got the toad hooked up and down the road we go.

after about 800 miles, oil is blowing out the back all over the toad.

checked the oil it's fine, but it starts getting worse.

now the back of the coach is covered and the toad is now almost black.

looks like it is coming from the lower passenger side of the radiator. not from the slobber tube, i think, as there is no oil between it and the radiator cowling.

any ideas?

thanks
Tom
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2019, 01:12 PM   #2

A bad oil cooler will pump oil into the cooling system. Is the radatior overflow hose near the spilled oil ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:14 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No and no oil in the coolant.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:25 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
check your transmission fluid my be a bad trans fluid cooler part of the rad.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:50 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
trany fluid is good and it's red......
Old 11-04-2019, 01:25 PM   #6

I had the same problem you describe with my C7. Before leaving for a short triip, I thought the oil was low, so I added a few quarts to bring the oil level up to the "OK" mark on the dipstick. I usually drive with the retard/exhaust brake active, and after reaching my destination about 140 miles away, I noticed oil spots all over the back of the RV and the toad. Plus, oil was dripping off the mud flap near the slobber tube. I checked the oil level and it was still in the "OK" range on the dipstick. I washed off all the oil and on my return trip home I did not use the exhaust brake/retard and had no oil spots on the RV or toad when I got home.

Since I was due for an oil change, I got the RV serviced. 20,000 miles later and I have not had any further occurrences of the "oil spotting" problem. Kinda weird.

Tags
radiator