Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2021, 05:50 PM   #1

Overheating -- need PD advise

2013 Dutch Star 4338 , Freightliner, 450 hp, 63k miles.

Was at Gaffney for our annual service , during the service they said the fan box was very loud and should be replaced.... so I had them do it (the shaft seal was replaced last year) , left there, toured around western North Carolina through the Smokies....everything was fine. Drove up to Maine... all was good until about 20 miles from our stop. Check engine went on, temp up to 220. Slowed down, pulled over as soon as I could. Belt was OK, coolant level OK. Checked the connectors on the wires going to the fan clutch . All seemed OK. When the temp got down to 180, I started up and idled for a bit... stayed at it's normal 183. I put the ac on Max and checked the the fan, it didn't really seem to be going at full blast, but I didn't think to check without AC and with AC....
I was frustrated plus ambient temps here are on the mid-90's so it was aggravating being on the side of the road crawling underneath. I will write off the ambient heat as we typically have those temps pretty much of the year in FL and have been in 115 temps in Arizona with no issues.
Drove to the campsite at about 45 mph and temp hovered in the low 190's ( normally 183) . If I gave it more throttle, temps would start rising pretty quickly.

So, tomorrow, I'll crawl under the coach and renew my efforts at PD.

What I thought I'd do is:

- Unplug and clean the connectors
- start engine without AC on// assess fan speed as best as possible.
- have GF turn on AC while I watch the fan..... if no apparent change, then I guess the fan clutch or ECU has issues.....

Any thing else recommended ???

-Is there a way to check the wiring with a multi-meter ?
- If it is the fan clutch, any thoughts on replacement costs ?\

Thanks much ! Joe
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2021, 05:58 PM   #2

are you sure that the anti freeze is topped off might be an air pocket trapped in the system just a suggestion
Old 06-29-2021, 05:45 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
2nd the AC will have no effect on the cooling system.
3rd, At night, can you see a light shone thru from outside to inside - thru the radiator and CAC
4th have the t-stats ever been changed
Cummins - do you have a Horton Fan clutch with the turn on at 211 degrees?

just to name a few more.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
2nd the AC will have no effect on the cooling system.
3rd, At night, can you see a light shone thru from outside to inside - thru the radiator and CAC
4th have the t-stats ever been changed
Cummins - do you have a Horton Fan clutch with the turn on at 211 degrees?

just to name a few more.
Thanks for the thoughts.... per the Freightliner tech support hotline, turning on the AC should turn on high speed on the fan, regardless of temperature.... also pulling the fuse or unplugging the wire harness should have the same effect. Neither one made a difference. radiator,cac are clean . Looks like the clutch is malfunctioning.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heating, overheating