Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2021, 11:35 AM   #1

Power steering Oil

Hi Guys
I have 2012 coachmen sports coach 340 Cummins on freightliner. I need power steering oil for it. I check the container by the engine and it’s Pinkesh/reddish oil. Please advise.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2021, 11:50 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Typically it's just transmission fluid!
Old 07-23-2021, 11:52 AM   #3

I'm betting Dexron III or newer. Seems most DP's take that.

No sticker near your reservoir indicating what it takes?
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:05 PM   #4

Look carefully on top or side of dipstick or cap.. usually on that.. it should be bright pink.. when is last time you flushed it, and I bet somewhere there is a filter, change that too.. I believe it is ATF.. transmission fluid, but there many different types .. check owner manual or Google see if you can find, buy a lot.. and Change the whole thing,, I use a hand held vac pump and just keep changing until as close to bright pink as possible with out disconnecting any lines, that way I don't have to worry about air in the lines or having to pull those pesky p/s lines that are rusted on.. do this several times and you can get most of it. Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:18 PM   #5

Hi Guys
So yes it’s is Dexron ATF. Fluid is very light pink. I did not see any sticker on the container on the rv. Just needed a little to bring the fluid to the cold temp line. Thank You everyone for help.
Old 07-24-2021, 03:06 PM   #6

I am using Transynd in mine now. Have to be careful finding Dextron III these days because of seal compatibility issues. I researched this last year and Transynd was the best option for backwards compatibility.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 03:09 PM   #7

Would like to see some documentation from a Chassis maker or component manufacturer that Transynd IS approved for use in power steering systems as a substitute for Dexron.

Don't doubt it, would would like some official confirmation.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Would like to see some documentation from a Chassis maker or component manufacturer that Transynd IS approved for use in power steering systems as a substitute for Dexron.

Don't doubt it, would would like some official confirmation.

This was my initial concern as well because true Dextron III is no longer available unless you can find one of the Allison TES 389 specification fluids.

There is a lengthy discussion in the Allison forum where this topic was addressed by Tom Johnson. The Allison Dextron III specification, TES 389, is all but impossible to find and cost more than Transynd. Transynd is fully backward compatible to Dextron III applications. I think where you might get into trouble with the power steering would be using Dextron VI.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:05 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I was told by Cummins that the chassis mfgr installs the power steering units. So Freightliner would be the final authority on what to use for your coach.

Interestingly my Spartan chassis 400 ISL with side radiator uses AW 46 hydraulic fluid.

Tags
power, steering