Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Power Steering Reservoir and filter - 07 XC Chassis

Hi all. I am planning on changing the power steering fluid and filter on my coach (2007 Meridian 36G with XC chassis). I have searched the relevant posts on this board on this subject and found some really helpful information on the best way to do the job, but I have some questions regarding the power steering system :

1) Does the white plastic hydraulic reservoir above the radiator at the rear of the engine compartment feed ONLY the power steering system ? Are there any other hydraulic systems on the chassis that might be supplied by this reservoir also ? (I can't think what they might be, but just thought I'd ask).

2) I understand that some chassis' were not fitted with an inline steering fluid filter. I suspect mine wasn't, because I cannot seem to find it anywhere. But if it is there somewhere, where would it likely be in the system ? on one of the hydraulic lines near the power steering unit up front, or on the lines below the reservoir, or somewhere else ?

3) Is anyone ACTUALLY changing the fluid and filter every 12,000 miles or every 12 months, like the FL Maintenance Schedule table, step 46-03 indicates ? With the huge combined volume of fluid in the unit, contained in those long lines, and the reservoir volume itself, that short an interval between changes seems like way "overkill" to me..... (Also seems curious that FL would specify changing out the filter at this interval, and then not even bother to install a filter on some chassis.... ?)

Thanks in advance for any input

Meurig Davies 2007 Meridian 36G
Meurigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Good questions. Have you posed these to FL? I'd be interested in any response.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccsix View Post
Good questions. Have you posed these to FL? I'd be interested in any response.
Me too.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

On mine the hydraulic system drives the radiator fan as well as power steering, but my XC is configured rather differently than yours. It's a side radiator, for example, and the ISL engine. And it does have a hydraulic filter.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would call FL Help (1-800-FTL-Help) and ask about the filter and location. If you have your VIN they can tell you exactly how the chassis left their facility. They are available 24/7/365.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
By way of an update :
My system does not have a filter. There is a reference somewhere in the Freightliner manual to a "metal" type of hydraulic reservoir, with which they did seem to use a filter, but I suspect that on systems using the white plastic type reservoir, they did not use an inline filter.
I have not changed the fluid. I was at my local Freightliner shop getting some other work done recently, and they suggested that it is not necessary yet. The fluid looks clean to me too, so I have decided to wait until at least another 10,000 miles or so.
I have not called FL on this subject. They will probably just quote me the book recommendation (12,000 miles).
On my coach the white plastic hydraulic reservoir above the radiator seems to only feed the power steering system

Meurig Davies '07 Meridian 36G XC Chassis
Old 07-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
My '06 Journey has the plastic tank mounted above the radiator on the right side and the filter mounted directly below it attached to the radiator mounting bolt. There was a recall on the filter a couple of years ago and I am not sure if this was the original location of the filter or where they relocated it, but that is the current location.
MDPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPD View Post
My '06 Journey has the plastic tank mounted above the radiator on the right side and the filter mounted directly below it attached to the radiator mounting bolt. There was a recall on the filter a couple of years ago and I am not sure if this was the original location of the filter or where they relocated it, but that is the current location.
hmmm... interesting. There is definitely no filter on my '07 Meridian (which is basically the same as your Journey of course). I have traced the lines. No filter anywhere. At least not any where accessible. Maybe some have the filter and some don't. (Go figure). I'll call Freightliner and see what they say.
Thanks for the info

Meurig Davies '07 Meridian 36 G, XC Chassis
Old 07-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
OK, I just called the Freightliner Help line. He said that for my VIN and my year ('07), the filter "was not required". He told me that they started using the filters (the previous year ?), but they had problems with them (Hence the re-calls I guess). Then they quit using them altogether. However, he said that they have gone back to using some kind of filter for the past few years.
You know what ? I ain't gonna worry about it. The fluid in my hydraulic system looks clean, and really, I dont know what would contaminate it anyway. It's a sealed system.
Thanks for the input

Meurig Davies '07 Meridian 36G XC Chassis

Tags
chassis, power, steering